Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:29 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Posts: 2,009
During our last stay we also met with the GM - it was an honour to talk with him - a very capable GM who has travelled extensively. Our interview with him is on Driven2travel here.
price123 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:42 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Often elsewhere
Posts: 934
Hi,

I'm doing the diamond challenge and have a 10 night stay booked here. I am travelling on a family holiday with my wife and infant daughter.

A couple of questions if I may:

1) Mrs Dannyrado is obsessing over 'shade' by the pool especially the infant pool. Does anyone know if it is shaded?
2) Will there be enough to do in the late afternoon/evening? We have stayed on 'the walk' before now and of coarse it's great for a stroll. Are there restaurants, shops, a nice area to stroll around nearby?
3) I have asked for a crib (we are in a grand suite king) Do you think that if the daughter is too big for it they would send a roll away instead (what are the charges like for this?)? Or is the sofa in the living area a sofa bed?

I appreciate it's showing it's age, but It's the best of the hyatts with kids, right?
dannyrado is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:49 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BRU, BE
Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Posts: 464
The Grand Hyatt has two pools: one outside and one inside, with a jacuzzi. No problem to find shades in the one inside. Outside, you can ask for umbrella and there are plenty around the pool and the infant pool, by the bridge.
Ducatibiker is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:24 am
  #64  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Everything is refundable
Posts: 3,727
Originally Posted by dannyrado
Hi,

I'm doing the diamond challenge and have a 10 night stay booked here. I am travelling on a family holiday with my wife and infant daughter.

A couple of questions if I may:

1) Mrs Dannyrado is obsessing over 'shade' by the pool especially the infant pool. Does anyone know if it is shaded?
2) Will there be enough to do in the late afternoon/evening? We have stayed on 'the walk' before now and of coarse it's great for a stroll. Are there restaurants, shops, a nice area to stroll around nearby?
3) I have asked for a crib (we are in a grand suite king) Do you think that if the daughter is too big for it they would send a roll away instead (what are the charges like for this?)? Or is the sofa in the living area a sofa bed?

I appreciate it's showing it's age, but It's the best of the hyatts with kids, right?
I do not know what you like to do during a 10 day holiday period, but 10 days is a long time at the GH Dubai.

Do not get me wrong, it is one of those fantasy mega resorts from the earlier boom days of Dubai, it has a kids club, it has lots of restaurants in the garden atrium, but that's about it. The place is surrounded by major roads and the creek..., so strolling around is not really enjoyable, even in cooler weather.

You can rent a car at the GH, they have a Europcar desk in the lobby

The kids area has been upgraded some years ago and has quite some awning-like structures protecting kids from the sun. You can get a good overview using Google Maps. But even with the cover, it is hot. The indoor pool is nice, but crowded (tourists who cannot stand the heat, airline crews on layovers etc. )

The Grand Suite is spacious, but that's about it. Not sure about the sofa in the living room, but there is plenty of space to set up an additional bed. The bath room is also spacious, I guess at least 15-20 sqm.

The variety of food offered at the Grand Club is also not really outstanding, but they have a family section on the other side of the club with nice views of the newer parts of Dubai and lots of space to set up a table for the family.

If you like a balcony, if you like strolling around by the river, which is enjoyable in summer after dark, the Park is the better property, without any special kids facilities, though, at least as far as I know. But you could use the Hyatt shuttle to move from one property to the other...
FD1971 is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:40 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DXB / WAW
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 726
I believe Grand Hyatt Dubai is one of the most attractive properties to do Diamond challenge, as you can find really good prices there (especially after BRG 20% kicks in). Although Wafi mall looks to be within walking distance, you can't really walk there or it is not that easy. Dubai is perhaps one of the most pedestrian unfriendly cities I have come across.

@dannyrado, you will be greatly disappointed if you are looking for evening stroll options in this area after previously staying at The Walk. This is one of the reason I stick to The Walk / Marina locations.
stiwi is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:48 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Often elsewhere
Posts: 934
For the diamond challenge it's worth sticking with it i think. I did use a BRG, and we have a very good price. For instance to get a suite somewhere on the walk would cost us at least an extra 1k.

The Mrs and I have just had a chat about it, the child is in bed at 7pm anyway, and it's not as if we can't jump in a cab, to almost anywhere for a nice walk about.

I'm guessing there are play areas (slides, swings, etc) on site??
dannyrado is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:23 pm
  #67  
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Posts: 16,588
Originally Posted by stiwi
Although Wafi mall looks to be within walking distance, you can't really walk there or it is not that easy. Dubai is perhaps one of the most pedestrian unfriendly cities I have come across.
While I wouldn't call it particularly pedestrian friendly, the walk to Wafi is hardly daunting, even with an infant, the busy streets you have to cross have pedestrian signals/lanes, and the other streets were pretty lightly trafficed.
Beckles is offline  
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:29 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Posts: 1,068
Plenty of shade at the pool so don't worry about that. We really enjoyed our stay, however you should not expect to have nearby walks.
flyer121 is offline  
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:10 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Posts: 7,549
I am staying at this hotel for a week in 2nd half of September due to work committments.

What is the gym / fitness centre like? Anyone know the opening hours?
chris1979 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:25 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Often elsewhere
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by chris1979
I am staying at this hotel for a week in 2nd half of September due to work committments.

What is the gym / fitness centre like? Anyone know the opening hours?

Can't help you with that but may see you there. I'll be the one annoying everyone with the infant in the lounge.
dannyrado is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:43 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 1,094
From what I witnessed last time I was there, the gym is quite busy, at least during certain hours. Lovely spa too...
Jac747 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:11 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Posts: 1,068
Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Dubai has an excellent gym. I was there last October.
flyer121 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:49 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Posts: 7,549
Originally Posted by dannyrado
Can't help you with that but may see you there. I'll be the one annoying everyone with the infant in the lounge.

thanks for the various replies - good to know that it's decent.

when are you there?

I arrive Sunday morning and leave in the early hours of Saturday 21st. Unfortunately, my work committments start at 7.30am and I don't expect to get back to the hotel much earlier than midnight on most days but will parts of the first Sunday and all of the last Friday to relax.

My boss did warn me that the most sleep I would get on this trip would be on the flight there and back.......
chris1979 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:02 am
  #74  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Posts: 4,244
here vs HR?

Out in a couple of weeks, price is similar with some promos etc (the GH maybe 15% more than the HR)... Is this substantially better? Will probably use a suite upgrade cert...

there's not much in the thread for the HR is why I'm wondering

thanks

A successful BRG got the delta down to <10%, so going with GH.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Sep 13, 2013 at 9:42 am
Stewie Mac is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:07 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Germany
Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Out in a couple of weeks, price is similar with some promos etc (the GH maybe 15% more than the HR)... Is this substantially better? Will probably use a suite upgrade cert...

there's not much in the thread for the HR is why I'm wondering

thanks

A successful BRG got the delta down to <10%, so going with GH.
I have not found any better rates than hyatt site. I am visiting 23-26 nov.

Any top tips on where to look? Have explored the normal expedia ect sites.

Thanks in advance
dewby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.