Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mongah
Probably too late for you now but Cloud 9 Shuttle used to have a shuttle service every half hour from the Hyatt then the Sheraton then to the airport on the hour and the half hour from like 6 am until 8-9 pm I believe. Picked up right in front.
Cloud 9 is not a company I would recommend. I used them to transport a party of 10 to Mission Valley a few years ago and the driver forgot to tell me that they closed early that night. Needless to say it took a while for three cabs to arrive for our return trip at a much higher cost. So I would avoid Cloud 9 at all costs.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bbbb
Cloud 9 is not a company I would recommend. I used them to transport a party of 10 to Mission Valley a few years ago and the driver forgot to tell me that they closed early that night. Needless to say it took a while for three cabs to arrive for our return trip at a much higher cost. So I would avoid Cloud 9 at all costs.
I was there about a week ago. It is $10-$14 each way between the Manchester GH and the airport. It is quite close.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:41 pm

New Years eve

We are going to San Diego to bring in the New Year, and staying at the Manchester. We'd love any input on must do's.
Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by noname
We are going to San Diego to bring in the New Year, and staying at the Manchester. We'd love any input on must do's.
Thanks.
A trip to Cabrillo Monument at Point Loma.

Sunset drinks at the Del Coronado on Coronado Island.

A visit to Old Town, the Gas Lamp District and Balboa Park.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Stayed at this hotel for over a week in a room in the old tower which I prefer for the view.

Sally's is excellent. Ate there twice.

Taxi to airport $12 plus tip and fast.

Taxi to zoo about $17 plus tip.

Weather absolutely awful.

All the various meals I had in the hotel were way above average but enjoyed the bar food (burgers, salads, snacks) the most after Sally's.

Hotel is in excellent location for walking along the harbour, Seaport Village for food and shopping and general great views. 12 minute walk to Maritime Museum.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
New story on continued controversy at this property.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:36 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wallycda
The rooms are hot at night, but if you open the window you risk hearing loud train whistles many times each night!
Even with the window closed, I've still been awoken by the train whistles.

Originally Posted by noname
Thanks.
next time search the California Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california-450/

many threads on what to do's in San Diego

BTW, how was your stay at the Manchester?

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Mar 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
Thumbs down Don't expect too much

I stayed at this property during one night of a business trip in early Feb. I used an upgrade coupon and was given a tired suite with a great view at the top of the old tower. The decor was very dated but the room was comfortable enough and I appreciated the amenities like mini-toothpastes and extra bottles of water.

I arrived too early for check-in so I spent a lot of time in the lounge. The coffee machine was nice and I thought it was a terrific lounge. I returned later for a nice spread of appetizers and desserts and a well-stocked honor bar. When my room was ready I was called on my cell and asked to come back to the front desk so they could swipe my cc and give me the keys. I was a little annoyed because I thought they should have brought the keys up to me or checked me in at the lounge.

A friend drove from LA to join me at the hotel for her birthday. I promised her a martini in the harbor view bar but when we approached the elevator we were shocked to see the restaurant was closed for a private party. We voiced our disappointment to the concierge and we were directed to a nearby restaurant where we enjoyed a free round of drinks on the hotel - very classy.

When I woke up I rang down for an express checkout and asked if I could get a copy of my bill online rather than stopping by the front desk on the way out. The Diamond desk was way down on the far end and I just wanted to go straight to the parking lot ($22 to park is ridiculous). I was told that would be fine but I have tried for 5 weeks checking regularly in my Hyatt account and the PDF button always opens a pop-up that says "folio is not available".

My expense report is quite late so I got frustrated and emailed the web support tonight. I also called the hotel but was transferred to "Accounts Receivable" voicemail. I called back and talked to the front desk but they said they could not print the old folio. I called reservations and they put me on hold to call the hotel. The hotel stated that the hotel bill system was "down today." I escalated the call to a reservations supervisor. He called the hotel again and the manager N***** offered to fax me a folio. I confirmed my fax number 3 times and yet she faxed it to my cell number and my home number. I called to ask her to stop it and she said she wanted to email it to me but my email address is not in my gold passport profile. I gave her the email address twice she stated they had received several calls tonight asking for folios - yes, I called several times, very smug, thanks for the great service. It has been about two hours. Doesn't look like she plans to send it.

I still need the folio for my expense report. I will call the Diamond Concierge tomorrow. I have spent an hour on this tonight. I am hoping to sort it out tomorrow during regular business hours. I expect that I will receive a detailed bill. If the hotel can't provide a receipt then I won't honor the payment. I am prepared to call Amex and dispute the charge if necessary.

I was on the fence as to whether or not to return but have decided that I definitely won't bother. This is an ok property for a family or an extended stay but it just doesn't meet my expectations as a business traveler plus they have proven to be lazy and inattentive. I drove by last week and there was a loud group of protesters out front - perhaps they were picketing for copies of their old bills??? I am so glad I selected another property when I was in San Diego last week.

Last edited by joybuggy; Mar 22, 2010 at 11:46 pm Reason: removed Manager's name
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:09 am

I was slightly disappointed as well.

Used a suite upgrade, and got a junior suite...however, I was under the impression from the hotel that they would give me the VIP suite upon arrival.

There was no mention of the VIP suite though at check-in and I didn't push the issue. So I didn't get the VIP suite.

What bugs me is that I lost out on the 5K Andaz promotion / the 5K bonus at the other Hyatt San Diego.

I would have gone there if I thought I wasn't getting the VIP suite... it was also the same rate there.

But anyways, Hyatt is amazing overall...this was just one slightly sour experience.

EDIT: In fairness to the hotel however, the staff was very friendly, I was greeted on arrival by the manager, and it was a nice junior suite. So would I stay here again? Probably.

Last edited by bmw303; Mar 25, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by bmw303
...however, I was under the impression from the hotel that they would give me the VIP suite upon arrival.
What gave you that impression? What was your original room type?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What gave you that impression?
the hotel said they would.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Am considering a stay here next month with some buddies. I made a reservation on the AAA rate and called to use a Diamond suite upgrade. The agent confirmed my upgrade into an "executive suite" - any ideas whether this is the Junior Suite or VIP Suite?

Pictures on the site are scarce, and I'm trying to get a feel for the accommodations. We will be 3 or possibly 4 adults - how well will we fit into a suite? It's also not clear whether a suite will have 1.5 baths or 2 full baths.

Any insight appreciated.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:49 pm

The suite we got had a separate living room with a very comfortable wall bed and pull out couch and separate bedroom and bath. You can do doubles in the bedroom portion. I think it had two baths. Also had a kitchen type area also.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 6:57 pm

The suite upgrade that Diamonds get is the size of two standard rooms. The standard upgrade does not have a kitchen like some of the bigger suites do. If you get lucky you will get a Vip suite but I would not count on it.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Thanks lorribarnes and bbbb for your comments!

I actually tried calling the hotel tonight to confirm the exact accommodations and resolve the discrepancy in terminology, but ended up in central reservations. A very kind agent put me on hold for several minutes and called the hotel herself, and confirmed that the room booked is actually the Junior Suite, which is a regular 340 sqft. room with a 340 sqft. connector parlor. She did say that if better suites were available on day of arrival, they would be granted instead, but that's not really comforting when I need to sleep 4 adults separately.

I'm feeling a bit misled because the booking agent used the term "executive suite" (which sounds like anything BUT a "junior suite") and the confirmation email indicates "Room Description: 2 Double beds. refrigerator, laptop size safe IHOME." The inclusion of the word refrigerator here matches the description of the VIP/Regency Suite.

If the suite is basically just 2 rooms with no kitchenette, I'd rather just book 2 rooms on Priceline for the same cost and save the suite upgrade. But as a newly minted Diamond, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how likely it is I'll end up in the larger VIP suite or any other options I might have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.