Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotels recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by JackE
I thought LGBTQW were boycotting the Manchester.
No, no boycott as flags and LOVE signs with rainbow colors all over the place (see photos below). But there was nothing over the top or debauchery of any sort. Also, they were totally sold out and we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite on the 39th floor due to no suite availability. The treatment we received was awesome by the great staff throughout.

Rainbow flag beside old glory!

LOVE Pride sign replaced the Concierge desk at the Grand lobby!

Vast presidential suite full of light during the day!

Amazing night time views!
bbbb and markko like this.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jul 17, 2018 at 3:36 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
We (wife, child and I) are considering staying at either this property or at the HR Mission Bay for 3-4 days over the holidays. I'll be using a Corporate Rate since that's showing up slightly cheaper than the current best available rate. However I see these "Destination Fees" at both the hotels which I would equate them to as Resort Fees and consider them to be waived for a Globalist. However, the fact that they are being called "Destination Fees" and not the usual Resort Fees is giving me pause. Is this some play by the San Diego hotels franchises to get around the new WOH program benefits? Can a Globalist who's stayed here recently confirm whether they were waived? What about the HR Mission Bay?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:41 pm

Per woh terms resort fees and destination fees are waived for globalists.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I read the WOH Globalist Benefits and they do not explicitly mention "Destination Fees". They are very clear about Resort Fees.

Does anyone have an email for this hotel so that I can get it clearly in writing from them. I don't want to have to argue once there and ruin the experience of the trip with a bad taste.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by JackE
I thought LGBTQW were boycotting the Manchester.
That was in the past when well-known straight white guy Papa Doug owned it. He's sold his interest, so it's OK now (even though it retains his name).
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pickles
That was in the past when well-known straight white guy Papa Doug owned it. He's sold his interest, so it's OK now (even though it retains his name).
I don't think it was the "straight white guy" part that was the problem. It was the anti-gay part. The two are not necessarily the same thing
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think it was the "straight white guy" part that was the problem. It was the anti-gay part. The two are not necessarily the same thing
How about straight and publicly convinced that's the only way?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I read the WOH Globalist Benefits and they do not explicitly mention "Destination Fees". They are very clear about Resort Fees.

Does anyone have an email for this hotel so that I can get it clearly in writing from them. I don't want to have to argue once there and ruin the experience of the trip with a bad taste.
yes it is explicitly mentioned right in the title of the terms and conditions.

(l) Waived Resort, Destination, or Facility Fees: Resort, destination, or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Globalists when paying an Eligible Rate. (As described in Appendix B, resort, destination, or facility fees are waived for all Members when staying on a Free Night Award.) This benefit is not valid at any Hyatt Residence Club resort, or M life Rewards destination. In some instances, a hotel or resort may charge other fees (such as a service fee) that are independent of any resort, destination, or facility fee charged by that hotel or resort. Any such fees will not be waived for Globalists pursuant to this benefit.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
I recently stayed at Hyatt Regency La Jolla and was told the destination fee could not be waived. I just called Customer Service and after being on hold for quite awhile the agent came back and apologized and said a Globalist should NOT be charged the destination fee. She called the hotel and a credit was issued to my credit card.
Thanks for the info SLM9555!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Nice property and solid rooms, but a couple of complaints from me from a stay last weekend:

1) Could have done better with the shower/tub. Pretty big bathroom, but very cramped shower/tub combo.

2) Room service menu: Total flop. Really poor decision here. Pizza and subs only for dinner? Seriously?

I liked the hotel but the room service issue was bad enough that I will likely not return.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAL250
Room service menu: Total flop. Really poor decision here. Pizza and subs only for dinner? Seriously?

I liked the hotel but the room service issue was bad enough that I will likely not return.
Like many US convention hotels, they've eliminated room service at this property. It offers instead a retail food delivery service. Just like Marriott's Fresh Bites. Which is all you will get at the Marriott Marquis next door, too.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:17 pm

Like many US convention hotels, they've eliminated room service at this property. It offers instead a retail food delivery service. Just like Marriott's Fresh Bites. Which is all you will get at the Marriott Marquis next door, too.
Any reason why? Just costs? I'll need to avoid these hotels then, because I usually prefer room service when traveling on a short trip like I was.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250
Any reason why? Just costs?
Yeah. They claim to lose money on room service.

Hilton Times Square was first to do this, and they've been followed by many properties.

Manchester GH casual dining options are pretty poor, too. Marriott Marquis I never minded going down to the bar for food.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

Yeah. They claim to lose money on room service.

Hilton Times Square was first to do this, and they've been followed by many properties.

Manchester GH casual dining options are pretty poor, too. Marriott Marquis I never minded going down to the bar for food.
Yeah I don't really like the dining options on the property either. My dish at the seafood restaurant there was not that great, certainly not for their prices. The bar/grill place just isn't my style really, but I'd go there next time for a burger and fries lol.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:59 pm

Meh, room service never appealed to me much. Fire up grubhub or uber eats and get something better delivered.
VegasGambler likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.