Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It’s funny, they didn’t take payment on the Penthouse suite deal from last year, until a few days before NYE, on my second stay.
Their reservations contain these clauses now:

Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By January 8, 2018 Deposit By Credit Card Required 1 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card
Cancellation Policy
One Night Deposit At Bkng/Cancel 72hours Prior For Refund
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Markie
Their reservations contain these clauses now:

Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By January 8, 2018 Deposit By Credit Card Required 1 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card
Cancellation Policy
One Night Deposit At Bkng/Cancel 72hours Prior For Refund
For business travel, that is 100% unacceptable.
Markie and JackE like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:17 pm

Now I see a "destination fee" of 25 a night. Specifically not listed as a resort fee so I'm curious to see if they will refuse to waive. Unreal this BS with garbage fees.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Now I see a "destination fee" of 25 a night. Specifically not listed as a resort fee so I'm curious to see if they will refuse to waive. Unreal this BS with garbage fees.
Would leave to see some DPs, but from my experience, this is what non-resorts call a resort fee. The good news is IIRC, they will generally speaking waive them for globalists.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
For business travel, that is 100% unacceptable.
Considering it's refundable within the 72-hour window, what's the point other than to drive away business? Even concierges can't get it waived.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by antonius66
Becoming very common in SD. Marriott Marquis and both Westins now charge a destination fee. I've moved my stays to SpringHill Suites, which I honestly like better than any other property in the downtown/gaslamp/convention area.

Originally Posted by JackE
Considering it's refundable within the 72-hour window, what's the point other than to drive away business? Even concierges can't get it waived.
It's just stupid. The Marriott Marquis is able to consistently charge $100-200 more per night than GH.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Stayed here recently on a 3N stay. Overall nice property, rooms were well equipped and general areas pretty nice. Pool wasn't too bad (used the adult pool to lap swim).

Food offerings in the club were decent and I appreciated the rotating items over the 3 nights. The club was a bit dirty and aged however, and it's sad to see the club go to the "farm animal" atmosphere I see often at DL Skyclubs these days with families and lots of little kids (ie food all over the floor). They could have cleaned the windows, window sills, and tables a bit better.

Room was fine, AC was pretty weak as another poster stated. I'm not sure our UG to a Premium Bay View room meant anything more than getting a higher floor.

Missed the daily paper, though I think you can get access to an e-paper daily. Gift shop is way overpriced (esp the water), but it's SD so I expected it. We did self parking which worked fine, except we had issues with our room keys working two times. FD fixed it both times.

Overall not a bad stay, good location for anything at the SD Conv Center (other options are Hilton Bayfront or Marriott for closer access). Will probably stay here again in the future.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Can anyone speak about success rate for comp self parking for Globalists?
I remember having an argument with a manager over it about five, six years ago and have never been there again.
Back then, I was a new diamond and wanted to get treated like King. haha
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Can anyone speak about success rate for comp self parking for Globalists?
If not an award stay, why would you think that's even an option?
JackE likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:20 pm

Smile

because DYKWIA?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
hahaha my bad
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I thought valet parking here was free for globalist, so did that for 3 award nts and only to find out that only self parking was comped at check out. I was actually quite puzzled and really thought valet was free and thankfully the front desk mgr was willing to waive it. PHEWWWWWWW
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I thought valet parking here was free for globalist, so did that for 3 award nts and only to find out that only self parking was comped at check out. I was actually quite puzzled and really thought valet was free and thankfully the front desk mgr was willing to waive it. PHEWWWWWWW
Parking is free for Globalists on pure award stays. This is for valet or self parking, per the T&C's:
If both are offered by the applicable hotel or resort, benefit is valid for either valet or self-parking.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Family of 4 staying the next 3 nights strictly on points (60K) for special occasion - my cousin's granddaughter is getting baptized. Staying on points to avoid the whopping destination and parking fees not to mention the $500 nightly rate.

The hotel is sold out due to a gay parade so no Globalist upgrade whatsoever. Was just told that by the so-called VIP staff thereby too late to cancel. Have I known, I would have made arrangement to stay at the HR Mission Bay as it seems they still have suites on sale at their website. Judging aside, the preliminary perception is the staff doesn't have a good handle on things. Keeping my fingers crossed and will see how things go and will report accordingly.

The suite we got during our last stay
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Family of 4 staying the next 3 nights strictly on points (60K) for special occasion - my cousin's granddaughter is getting baptized. Staying on points to avoid the whopping destination and parking fees not to mention the $500 nightly rate.

The hotel is sold out due to a gay parade so no Globalist upgrade whatsoever. Was just told that by the so-called VIP staff thereby too late to cancel. Have I known, I would have made arrangement to stay at the HR Mission Bay as it seems they still have suites on sale at their website. Judging aside, the preliminary perception is the staff doesn't have a good handle on things. Keeping my fingers crossed and will see how things go and will report accordingly.

The suite we got during our last stay
I thought LGBTQW were boycotting the Manchester.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.