Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

When Are Points Deducted for Award Stays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Are Points Deducted for Award Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Question When Are Points Deducted for Award Stays?

Apologies if this is covered somewhere that I missed. When are points deducted for award stays? The reason I am confused is that the last time I booked an award the points were removed from my account (as in my available points total was reduced) when making the reservation. I then completed the stay.

I made another award reservation recently for a trip several months away and the points have not been removed from my account. Anyone know what the correct practice is?
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
As you have experienced, it varies by hotel. Some do it immediately, others any time until the stay and others at the time of the stay. I find it unpredictable.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

I was told that it is a manual process, delegated to junior people in the central office. I was told this on seeking an explanation for points were deducted for different hotels than where I planned to stay. And I, too, have seen widely varying lengths of time for the points to be taken.

When I cancel an award booking, I stay on the on the line til the points are returned to my account. I don't want the same randomness in getting my points back as I've experienced in them being taken.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmgm
As you have experienced, it varies by hotel. Some do it immediately, others any time until the stay and others at the time of the stay. I find it unpredictable.
But both these awards were for the same hotel!

I guess Hyatt can't be perfect.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was told that it is a manual process, delegated to junior people in the central office. I was told this on seeking an explanation for points were deducted for different hotels than where I planned to stay. And I, too, have seen widely varying lengths of time for the points to be taken.

When I cancel an award booking, I stay on the on the line til the points are returned to my account. I don't want the same randomness in getting my points back as I've experienced in them being taken.
Thanks for the info ^

I will make sure to pay extra attention to this.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
VERY random.

For example, I made an award reservation for Kauai in March. The points were taken out of my account sometime in June. The stay is for Oct.

I extended it 2 weeks ago (hooray) and they still haven't taken the points.

I've also seen them remain in my account until a few weeks before the stay.

I can tell you that if you call the diamond line they will let you make an award reservation if you don't have enough points if you tell them you will by the time you go.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I can tell you that if you call the diamond line they will let you make an award reservation if you don't have enough points if you tell them you will by the time you go.
I was hoping this was a nice unpublished diamond benefit.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
My question might sound silly. Do redeemable Hyatt Gold Passport points expire? :-:
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Technically, yes. I believe if there is no activity for 1 year.

BUT, I haven't heard of them enforcing it. I would swear I had no activity in my account for about 5 years after my second stay with Hyatt, and the points stayed in my account.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Thank you very much.
I will have to be careful so I do not loose them.
I have 8K and some hundreds points. Not much but I guess they can still be used for a free night at some of the properties.
I can't let them expire.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Technically, yes. I believe if there is no activity for 1 year.

BUT, I haven't heard of them enforcing it. I would swear I had no activity in my account for about 5 years after my second stay with Hyatt, and the points stayed in my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.