Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Aruba or Hyatt Cancun Caribe

Old Aug 3, 06, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Exec, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood

My roommate and I have decided to take a tropical Labor Day vacation.
All things being equal (which they aren't, I know, but have come close enough in this case) - we're down to the Hyatt in Aruba or the Hyatt Cancun Caribe.
Can anyone point out why one of these is better than the other or what in the surrounding area would make it a better place to visit?

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 06, 4:52 pm

I would vote for Cancun.

Aruba is a windswept hole which apart from the beach has very little offer (in my opinion). You are a captive audience and the prices are all on the very high side.

Cancun offers lots and lots of eating, drinking and recreational activities and there are a couple of great days trips possible to view the Myan ruins at Tulum and Chichen Itza.

There are two Hyatts in Cancun but I am not sure if they are both open.
Old Aug 4, 06, 9:01 am

I agree with all of the above.

We were last there at the beginning of December '04, so this is a bit dated, particularly in light of the '05 hurricane.

We had RC accommodations, which at that time were oceanfront casitas. This was a GP award stay, and IIRC we had to redeem only 30,000 +/- points for six nights. Admittedly, this was off-season.

Another benefit is that there was no need for a car when we were there; several good restaurants are within an easy walk. Also, the central tourist area (shopping, additional restaurants) is likewise accessible by foot, but a somewhat longer walk.

There was also public bus service at the front gate. No necessarily recommended for evenings, but cheap & convenient.

Search this Thread