Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Osaka (rates incl. taxes & charges) v. other Japan Hyatts (taxes & charges addl)

Osaka (rates incl. taxes & charges) v. other Japan Hyatts (taxes & charges addl)

Old Jul 16, 06, 11:27 am
pdb
Original Poster

Question Osaka (rates incl. taxes & charges) v. other Japan Hyatts (taxes & charges addl)

On my recent trip to central Japan, when I stayed at both the HR Osaka and HR Kyoto, the room rate in Kyoto was roughly 40% higher; however, the difference was significantly greater. I did not realize (until I reviewed my GP statement) that the HR Osaka quotes all-inclusive rates upon which there are no additional charges or taxes; whereas the HR Kyoto quotes base rates upon which there is (a) a 10% service charge, and (b) a 5% VAT on the sum of the base rate + 10% service charge. So effectively, 15.5% additonal over the base rate. This resulted in rates that were nearly 60% higher in Kyoto than Osaka.

I am not questioning the rates themselves, but why would one property in Japan quote rates inclusive of taxes and charges, whereas (after checking) all other Japan properties do not? Econimically, this makes the HR Osaka an even better deal (and GP points are calculated on the quoted rate less the implicit 15.5% taxes and charges which have been included).

So, why would Osaka quote rates net of all taxes? Are there other Hyatt properties which quote rates net of taxes?
Old Jul 16, 06, 1:15 pm

Maybe it is a local thing. Have you checked if other hotels (e.g. Hilton) impose taxes in Osaka?

(By the way, the Hyatt regency Osaka at JPY 9000 per night (about $78) must be amongst the lowest in the developed world)
Old Jul 16, 06, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
FWIW, the rate quotes on SPG.com for the Starwood properties in Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe include all taxes/charges. We stayed at the Westin in Osaka, and the rate was all-in. The Hyatt in Kyoto did not include taxes, which we knew going in...
Old Jul 16, 06, 2:08 pm
pdb
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
(By the way, the Hyatt regency Osaka at JPY 9000 per night (about $78) must be amongst the lowest in the developed world)
I just saw this rate appear for a few days in Sept. Amazing...and even cheaper when you consider that it includes all taxes and charges!

Search this Thread