Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by janehoya
Congratulations on getting a reservation! We will be there shortly after you will. By any chance did you use this email address: [email protected]

Thank you!
Use [email protected]
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
that’s what I used.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Does this hotel offer paid upgrade upon arrival?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Does this hotel offer paid upgrade upon arrival?
You could always try asking at check-in.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:01 pm

I guess it all depends on what you compare this hotel to, but prior in Tokyo I stayed at the Hyatt Regency (in a suite) and then moved to this hotel, with a regular king room. Even though many people rave about it I found it not so great.

Location: if you take a taxi everywhere, sure, it is fine. But it isn't central, not close to public transit, not close to anything basically. Japan is great for walking, something you cannot do in most of the US. But not this hotel.

Elegance: I told my friend this is a nice fancy hotel. She didn't think so, because the outside looks so plain and the ceilings are so low. After staying a few days I would agree. The Grill is way too crowded and noisy for breakfast. In comparison the Park Hyatt Tokyo has a large restaurant but it is pretty quiet. Noisy and crowded just isn't "elegance."

Some other points of comparison between this and the Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo
-gym here is much larger, but in basement so without any view. Lots of machines to use (vs HR Tokyo)
-sauna here is dismal, though HR Tokyo has none. There is just a dry sauna in the locker room and not much else in terms of facilities. Of course, no comparison to PH Tokyo
-breakfast here is disappointing. Ate in the lounge in the HR Tokyo and while the food isn't great it has a nice view. PH Tokyo obviously is incomparable to this, Japanese set there is really good. Japanese set here isn't that great, one piece of fish, somewhat dry. Western buffet isn't that great either. i don't get how other people said the bread was nice. Croissants were better at lounge in HR Tokyo.
-maiko performance: if you enjoy watching a bunch of people crowding and pushing and shoving to get a view, you would love it! I do not love that. The antithesis of enjoyable, in my opinion.

If you want to believe the blogger's hype that HR Kyoto is one of the best, go right ahead. I myself was surprised to find a poor review on Tripadvisor entitled "Limited options at Hyatt Regency Kyoto - will try a ryokan next time", complaining about inconsequential things (or so I thought) that ended up being very relevant, and finally decided that I'll form my own opinion, and that it really isn't that great of a hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess it all depends on what you compare this hotel to, but prior in Tokyo I stayed at the Hyatt Regency (in a suite) and then moved to this hotel, with a regular king room. Even though many people rave about it I found it not so great.

Location: if you take a taxi everywhere, sure, it is fine. But it isn't central, not close to public transit, not close to anything basically. Japan is great for walking, something you cannot do in most of the US. But not this hotel.

Elegance: I told my friend this is a nice fancy hotel. She didn't think so, because the outside looks so plain and the ceilings are so low. After staying a few days I would agree. The Grill is way too crowded and noisy for breakfast. In comparison the Park Hyatt Tokyo has a large restaurant but it is pretty quiet. Noisy and crowded just isn't "elegance."

Some other points of comparison between this and the Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo
-gym here is much larger, but in basement so without any view. Lots of machines to use (vs HR Tokyo)
-sauna here is dismal, though HR Tokyo has none. There is just a dry sauna in the locker room and not much else in terms of facilities. Of course, no comparison to PH Tokyo
-breakfast here is disappointing. Ate in the lounge in the HR Tokyo and while the food isn't great it has a nice view. PH Tokyo obviously is incomparable to this, Japanese set there is really good. Japanese set here isn't that great, one piece of fish, somewhat dry. Western buffet isn't that great either. i don't get how other people said the bread was nice. Croissants were better at lounge in HR Tokyo.
-maiko performance: if you enjoy watching a bunch of people crowding and pushing and shoving to get a view, you would love it! I do not love that. The antithesis of enjoyable, in my opinion.

If you want to believe the blogger's hype that HR Kyoto is one of the best, go right ahead. I myself was surprised to find a poor review on Tripadvisor entitled "Limited options at Hyatt Regency Kyoto - will try a ryokan next time", complaining about inconsequential things (or so I thought) that ended up being very relevant, and finally decided that I'll form my own opinion, and that it really isn't that great of a hotel.
Luckily, a PH is on the way for us in Kyoto. This hotel has definitely fallen behind the top Kyoto luxury hotels. Nothing fancy about this hotel anymore. I had an unpleasant New Year's stay where everything you mentioned came to a head like crowding at the Grill and shoddy service.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:50 pm

Luckily, a PH is on the way for us in Kyoto.
But what does that mean?
PH Tokyo is a huge hotel, this is small. So no amenities like the spa at the PH Tokyo?
Hyatt names do not mean much in Japan. Regency in Tokyo meana club, just like rest of world, and big. In Kyoto no. In Hakone it is unreserved luxury.
And from what I hear in Fukuoka neither Grand nor Regency are nice.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what does that mean?
PH Tokyo is a huge hotel, this is small. So no amenities like the spa at the PH Tokyo?
Hyatt names do not mean much in Japan. Regency in Tokyo meana club, just like rest of world, and big. In Kyoto no. In Hakone it is unreserved luxury.
And from what I hear in Fukuoka neither Grand nor Regency are nice.
Kyoto will never be Tokyo. I found Hakone to be similar to HR Kyoto in terms of the hardware and materials. Hardly unreserved luxury.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I guess a bus stop right outside the hotel and a subway line a 10 minute walk isn't close enough for you. And I guess the Kyoto National Museum and Sanjusangendo were too far for you, as you had to cross a street or two?

And by the way, the Hyatt Regency Kyoto and the Park Hyatt Tokyo are of similar size. Kyoto has 187 rooms, while the PHT has 177. And breakfast at the PHT, although a much nicer and spacious setting, has fallen so far that I actually prefer the Kyoto breakfast offering.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Pickles
I guess a bus stop right outside the hotel and a subway line a 10 minute walk isn't close enough for you. And I guess the Kyoto National Museum and Sanjusangendo were too far for you, as you had to cross a street or two?.
+1

And Kiyomizu is easily walkable. The underground rail line is actually Keihan, and 10 minutes is walking slowly; most healthy, youngish person could easily walk it in 7 minutes, and with Keihan's easy access to Sanjo, Shijo, and Inari-san, it is much more convenient than the municipal subway. And even JR Kyoto Station is about 20-minutes walk.

Rather than the location of HR Kyoto, the transportation problem is that there is simply no good transportation network to get to everything there is to see in Kyoto, and thus there is no place to stay that is "ideally" located. Usually the best way to get around is a combination of Keihan and subway (and sometimes JR) and then a taxi from the nearest station.

As for a view at breakfast, the window seats offer a very nice view. Just get there early or simply tell them you're willing to wait.

I don't really see much purpose in comparing HR Kyoto with HR Tokyo and PH Tokyo. A comparison with other properties in Kyoto might be meaningful, but as Aventine said, Kyoto is not Tokyo.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I really don't get this complaint about the area - I usually stay at the FS which is even further up from Shichijo station than the HR, and it typically took me just over 10 mins walking. Even if you're lazy like me, I would usually walk to the station on my way out (esp. as it's downhill) and then take a taxi back to the FS from wherever.

Nothing's really that far in Kyoto anyway unless we're talking Arashiyama (or staying out there at the Suiran) or some of the more remote temples. I even walked to Kyoto Station from the FS once and it was under 30mins.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:37 pm

Kyoto will never be Tokyo. I found Hakone to be similar to HR Kyoto in terms of the hardware and materials. Hardly unreserved luxury.
Hmm, I guess it depends on your preference for decor. The dark wood panelling and the high high ceilings at Hakone just make it seem so much more grand. The wood is more IKEA style at Kyoto.

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
+1
And Kiyomizu is easily walkable. The underground rail line is actually Keihan, and 10 minutes is walking slowly; most healthy, youngish person could easily walk it in 7 minutes, and with Keihan's easy access to Sanjo, Shijo, and Inari-san, it is much more convenient than the municipal subway. And even JR Kyoto Station is about 20-minutes walk.

Rather than the location of HR Kyoto, the transportation problem is that there is simply no good transportation network to get to everything there is to see in Kyoto, and thus there is no place to stay that is "ideally" located. Usually the best way to get around is a combination of Keihan and subway (and sometimes JR) and then a taxi from the nearest station.
I feel Kawaramachi is central. The area around the Hyatt Regency is dead at night. I doubt it would be noisy staying in Kawaramachi either, so that isn't an excuse.

Yes, the problem stems from Kyoto having poor public transportation. The lines don't work well together. It takes about the same time taking subway back as just walking.
In Tokyo you could just hop on the subway if you are lazy, usually there is one close by, I guess because there are so many subway lines.

I guess a bus stop right outside the hotel and a subway line a 10 minute walk isn't close enough for you. And I guess the Kyoto National Museum and Sanjusangendo were too far for you, as you had to cross a street or two?

And by the way, the Hyatt Regency Kyoto and the Park Hyatt Tokyo are of similar size. Kyoto has 187 rooms, while the PHT has 177. And breakfast at the PHT, although a much nicer and spacious setting, has fallen so far that I actually prefer the Kyoto breakfast offering.
I didn't realize they were similar size. HR Kyoto feels so much smaller, and their amenities so much fewer. And so cramped! I guess they really have no excuse then.
In terms of the Kyoto setting, they do have the tall trees in the back that are nice. But they don't have that cute design feel that so many Kyoto places have.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:36 am

I guess a bus stop right outside the hotel and a subway line a 10 minute walk isn't close enough for you.
I am in somewhat agreement with s0ssos. Transportation isn't the easiest in Kyoto period, we mainly walked a lot and took a combination of taxi, bus, and subway depending on where we were going.

The bus stop outside of the hotel was iffy during peak hours while we were there. In the morning/afternoon, it was packed in the Kiyomizudera direction from people getting on at the JR station and there was a good chance of not getting on the bus. Same, in the opposite direction, in the evening.

We did not go to the maiko performance, or use the free transport to cherry blossom spots during the day/evening, though I did appreciate those as options. They would be good activities for those with kids, people less comfortable going out on their own, etc.

Our stay wasn't bad by any means as we tempered our expectations ahead of time based on this thread. We had some slight service issues during breakfast, such as confusion as to whether or not you can have the Japanese breakfast set in the restaurant. The breakfast was ok, better than HR Tokyo IMO (including croissant). I do not think you can compare this property exactly like for like to Tokyo or Hakone due to their settings. I will mention that service at Hakone was considerably more personal.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:34 am

Just returned from Japan and did a three Hyatt tour (Andaz, Park Hyatt Tokyo, and Kyoto Regency). With respect to the Kyoto Regency, we had two connecting rooms on the 3rd floor. The rooms were immaculate but small by comparison to the other two hotels. Still, appreciated that the hotel gave us two connecting rooms which are difficult to have guaranteed in advance. Staff was, as always for Japan, exceptionally professional, yet amazingly warm. Bar was a cool and relaxed place. Of the three Hyatts we stayed at, the breakfast tied for first - good variety and quality. Loved that we could sit outdoors. Interesting note: of all the staffs in Japan, this was by far the most diverse and international. Gym was solid, but nothing to write home about.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a Dyson hairdryer in the 1106 suite. Quite a pleasant surprise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.