Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by footastic

what dates are you going? We are here March 24-30 for Sakura
March 26-April 6. I will adjust dates once I have the cherry blossom forecast.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
We did the Sakura a couple of years ago. I was shocked the forecasts from December were within a day of peak. I think right now they show 3/27 as peak in Kyoto.

It’s a great experience !!!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I'd keep those dates. They're pretty on the money. You can also use the train and go to other regions in Kansai that are in full bloom, if, Kyoto isn't as of yet.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 29, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd keep those dates. They're pretty on the money. You can also use the train and go to other regions in Kansai that are in full bloom, if, Kyoto isn't as of yet.
Someone else mentioned 3/27 is the current expectation for Kyoto. But I didn't think that forecast started until after the new year.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Someone else mentioned 3/27 is the current expectation for Kyoto. But I didn't think that forecast started until after the new year.
Just basing it off years of experience.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Just basing it off years of experience.
Gotcha. I just added 3/24-3/26 just in case. I can't possibly come before 3/24 so hoping nothing crazy happens.

How many days post peak bloom can tourists expect to see the Sakura? 1-2?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Seems like a nice long window.

According to the historical data from the Japan Meteorological Agency, the official arbiter of such things, the date for sakura to be in full bloom (the large-blossom someiyoshino variety) in Kyoto in a typical year (defined as the average for the 30-year period from 1981 to 2010; always 30 years shifted every 10 years) is March 28. This past year full bloom was March 22. For the period from 2011 to 2018, the earliest full bloom was March 22 (2013 and 2018), and the latest was April 3 (2012). Best time is usually after the official full bloom; there are a lot more late blooming trees than early blooming trees (except for the weeping variety (shidaresakura), which are mostly all gone before the official full bloom.

Any chance that a forecast now turns out to be accurate is pure luck. They're always adjusting the forecast right up to a few days before the official announcement of full bloom.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:36 am

Gotcha. I just added 3/24-3/26 just in case. I can't possibly come before 3/24 so hoping nothing crazy happens.

How many days post peak bloom can tourists expect to see the Sakura? 1-2?
Usually a week, sometimes longer. Depends mostly on rain. There are some very nice late-blooming areas in Osaka, and they are not any where near as crowded as Kyoto. If it were me, I would have added 4/7 and 4/8 rather than 3/24 and 3/25. There are a few temples that are especially beautiful with all the blossoms on the ground, like a pink blanket. Also, if you're a bit late there are always later blooming trees at higher elevations, but if you're early there is a lot less, unless the weeping sakura last longer than usual.

Hikone and other parts of Shiga have a lot of very nice sakura that bloom 3-7 days after Kyoto city, easy train rides and again less crowded (except on weekends).

Last edited by OsakaWino; Dec 30, 2018 at 1:51 am
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Usually a week, sometimes longer. Depends mostly on rain. There are some very nice late-blooming areas in Osaka, and they are not any where near as crowded as Kyoto. If it were me, I would have added 4/7 and 4/8 rather than 3/24 and 3/25. There are a few temples that are especially beautiful with all the blossoms on the ground, like a pink blanket. Also, if you're a bit late there are always later blooming trees at higher elevations, but if you're early there is a lot less, unless the weeping sakura last longer than usual.

Hikone and other parts of Shiga have a lot of very nice sakura that bloom 3-7 days after Kyoto city, easy train rides and again less crowded (except on weekends).
HR Kyoto is not available on points the night of 4/6 to 4/7 unfortunately. Suppose I could always book the HR Osaka for 2 nights and just take the train in.

Although those later dates would actually work out better for me in terms of organizing my overall Japan trip, I'm hesitant to go to Kyoto that late after full bloom. I would be putting my fate in the hands of mother nature in regards to rain and other issues. Ultimately I'll have to make a decision on when to go to Kyoto (probably 5 or 6 nights). I won't be able to go for my entire window as I want to do some other things in Japan as well. 4/8 - 4/15 I've got Disney Tokyo for 2 nights and then 5 nights in Tokyo.

Last edited by kapooncha; Dec 30, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:27 pm

HR Kyoto is not available on points the night of 4/6 to 4/7 unfortunately. Suppose I could always book the HR Osaka for 2 nights and just take the train in.

Although those later dates would actually work out better for me in terms of organizing my overall Japan trip, I'm hesitant to go to Kyoto that late after full bloom. I would be putting my fate in the hands of mother nature in regards to rain and other issues. Ultimately I'll have to make a decision on when to go to Kyoto (probably 5 or 6 nights). I won't be able to go for my entire window as I want to do some other things in Japan as well. 4/8 - 4/15 I've got Disney Tokyo for 2 nights and then 5 nights in Tokyo.
Probably a lot of Japanese are betting on the 4/6 Sat as being the best weekend for sakura in Kyoto. Viewing is better just after the full bloom announcement than just before. And a lot of people would say that the best time is when the petals just begin to fall; in a gentle breeze it is like a flurry of pink and there is something magical about taking a stroll under the trees and finding a few petals in your hair and on your shoulders. In fact the traditional mystique of sakura in Japan focuses on the failing petals rather than the blossoms, the falling petals are symbolic of fleeting beauty, a reminder of the shortness of life.

You've got good window for sakura viewing. I'm sure you'll be able to find some areas both in full bloom and some that are already falling, and maybe even some late weeping sakura, which are quite nice because the branches extend down to the ground like an umbrella. The concierge at HR Kyoto will have lots of info for you (although the concierge desk gets very crowded at times).

If you do go to HR Osaka for the last 2 nights, there is a nice stand of sakura right next to the hotel, but no guarantee on what it will be like on that specific weekend. It is just a residential area, so not as nice as seeing sakura at Kyoto temples, but on the upside there are zero tourists. Unless you're an exceptionally hardy day-tripper, I would not recommend staying at HR Osaka and planing to got to Kyoto each day. It is not impossible and I've known others who have done it, but they also had other reasons for staying at HR Osaka rather than in Kyoto (using a TSU for a suite and a P&C rate that made it much cheaper than even the lowliest accommodations in Kyoto). It would be very time- and energy-consuming.

The Imperial Hotel in Osaka is ideally located for sakura, as nice as anything in Kyoto.

While at HR Kyoto, be sure to take a quick look at the sakura at Chisakuin Temple across the street to the east of the hotel, a 2-3 minute walk. There are a few very nice trees there; not as impressive as temples that have dozens of trees all grouped together, but on the upside almost completely ignored by tourists. Sakura viewing is a lot nicer when you're not surrounded by 1,000 other people (and at some locations like Kiyomizu, on weekend it could be several thousand people).
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Looks like someone cancelled a reservation on Apr 5 and I was able to scoop up a king bed room on points. Now I just need someone else to do to that on Apr 6 and I think I'm set.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Hello, we will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto April 18 to 23. I am wondering if anybody has had any luck with having the hotel arrange reservations for the Moss Temple, or if I need to handle alone. Thank you!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by janehoya
Hello, we will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto April 18 to 23. I am wondering if anybody has had any luck with having the hotel arrange reservations for the Moss Temple, or if I need to handle alone. Thank you!
The hotel can get you details on how to apply, but it’s very limited access. They were unable to help my last stay and it took a while to get a reservation. Do this ASAP.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by janehoya
I’ll be there April 8-14. I emailed the concierge at the end of January and he told me they would be happy to make the request for us on Feb 1–the first day that you could apply for April dates. At his suggestion, I provided several dates in order of preference. On 2/1 he confirmed that the request was sent. Last week he wrote to let me know that our first choice was accepted and the details would be provided to us when we check in. All in all fantastic service. At this point you might be too late but it can’t hurt to inquire.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by dancefreak

I’ll be there April 8-14. I emailed the concierge at the end of January and he told me they would be happy to make the request for us on Feb 1–the first day that you could apply for April dates. At his suggestion, I provided several dates in order of preference. On 2/1 he confirmed that the request was sent. Last week he wrote to let me know that our first choice was accepted and the details would be provided to us when we check in. All in all fantastic service. At this point you might be too late but it can’t hurt to inquire.
Congratulations on getting a reservation! We will be there shortly after you will. By any chance did you use this email address: [email protected]

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.