Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by janehoya
I just reserved two rooms for our family (two adults and 14 year old child) using points. Just wondering if anybody knows whether we will be charged the 13% service charge and how the hotel will determine the amount as we are paying zero in effect.

FWIW, reservation agent was very professional and helpful. She advised me that the hotel will not put a rollaway bed in a standard room and that no suite upgrades are available at the hotel, either for globalists or as a paid upgrade. It didn't occur to me to ask about Deluxe rooms.
No service charge on an all-points stay or any other type of award stay with a cash rate of zero.

All taxes and services charges are based only on the actual cash amount paid.

Last edited by OsakaWino; May 24, 2018 at 7:17 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
No service charge on an all-points stay or any other type of award stay with a cash rate of zero.

All taxes and services charges are based only on the actual cash amount paid.
Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. We are very excited about a trip we've talked about for YEARS.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Greetings HR Kyoto experts -- I'm getting into Kyoto with a family in tow and our friends -- first night thinking to have dinner near hotel. https://www.insidekyoto.com/inoichi was an option, but anything else y'all might recommend? Thread scan revealed little.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still have the one-way free train station transfer? What about the food and beverage credit provided to those that book directly with the hotel?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the hotel still have the one-way free train station transfer? What about the food and beverage credit provided to those that book directly with the hotel?
We will be taking the Shinkansen Hikari train from Tokyo to Kyoto. Is there a free shuttle bus from the train station to the hotel?

If not, how much is the taxi fare? Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
One-way free taxi FROM Kyoto Station is still available; check the hotel's website for details.

Taxi fare back to the station ranges from 600 to 1000 yen depending on the company and traffic; usually it is about 750 yen.

F&B coupon has not been offered for some time now and is unlikely to return.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jul 29, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
One-way free taxi FROM Kyoto Station is still available; check the hotel's website for details.

Taxi fare back to the station ranges from 600 to 1000 yen depending on the company and traffic; usually it is about 750 yen.

F&B coupon has not been offered for some time now and is unlikely to return.
No F&B coupon offered when I was there in June.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Fantastic stay at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto

Let's just say that I am very impressed with the Hyatt Regency Kyoto! Our stay was fantastic and exceeded our expectation, in fact, we can't wait to return, may be in the spring of 2019.

To get the complimentary MK Taxi service from Kyoto Station, you need to NOT go to the regular taxi area - instead, you need to go across the street to the Ibis Hotel and that's where the MK Taxi stand is. Their taxis are luxurious and the ride to the HR Kyoto was about 10 minutes or so. You don't need any voucher or anything, just get on the cab and then get off when you arrive as things are taken care directly between the hotel and MK Taxi.

We were given an upgraded room (King Bed Deluxe) which is supposedly a bit larger than the normal room (but not a suite) and it was actually very nice! It's very calming and pleasing, with a beautiful view (the hotel only has 4 floors). The evening turn down service and the discreet refresh of the towels and refilling of the complimentary bottled water is worthy of high end luxury hotels that I have stayed at.

As a Globalist, I was given green key cards (as opposed to orange for non-Globalists) and those green key cards allowed us to receive complimentary drinks at The Grill restaurant/bar during happy hours - I ordered glasses of Laurent Perrier Champagne at JPY 1,900 each, and they were gratis!

The Concierge team at this hotel is amazing! They offered so many useful advices, including recommendations on switching our bullet train Nozomi tickets from unreserved to reserved since we were there during the busy national holiday weekend so we could be faced with standing on the train for the 2 hours 20 minutes ride back to Tokyo.

Breakfasts were taken at The Grill (complimentary because I'm a Globalist, of course) and we were blown away by the quality of their offerings! Easily some of the best breakfasts we have ever had! The Japanese breakfast tray served up 3 different kinds of fish, plus home made tofu and more. The baked goods, specifically the French baguettes and the butter from Hiroshima, were superb, as good as anything that we had in France.

We enjoyed the complimentary Maiko Dance Performance (a maiko is a geisha in training) each evening and her dance was fantastic and a nice photo opportunity.

Our stay was just TOO SHORT !!! Kyoto is a fantastic city to visit and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto is the perfect base to explore Japan's ancient capital.
luvFclass, Aventine and flapland like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sapguy
Let's just say that I am very impressed with the Hyatt Regency Kyoto! Our stay was fantastic and exceeded our expectation, in fact, we can't wait to return, may be in the spring of 2019.

To get the complimentary MK Taxi service from Kyoto Station, you need to NOT go to the regular taxi area - instead, you need to go across the street to the Ibis Hotel and that's where the MK Taxi stand is. Their taxis are luxurious and the ride to the HR Kyoto was about 10 minutes or so. You don't need any voucher or anything, just get on the cab and then get off when you arrive as things are taken care directly between the hotel and MK Taxi.

We were given an upgraded room (King Bed Deluxe) which is supposedly a bit larger than the normal room (but not a suite) and it was actually very nice! It's very calming and pleasing, with a beautiful view (the hotel only has 4 floors). The evening turn down service and the discreet refresh of the towels and refilling of the complimentary bottled water is worthy of high end luxury hotels that I have stayed at.

As a Globalist, I was given green key cards (as opposed to orange for non-Globalists) and those green key cards allowed us to receive complimentary drinks at The Grill restaurant/bar during happy hours - I ordered glasses of Laurent Perrier Champagne at JPY 1,900 each, and they were gratis!

The Concierge team at this hotel is amazing! They offered so many useful advices, including recommendations on switching our bullet train Nozomi tickets from unreserved to reserved since we were there during the busy national holiday weekend so we could be faced with standing on the train for the 2 hours 20 minutes ride back to Tokyo.

Breakfasts were taken at The Grill (complimentary because I'm a Globalist, of course) and we were blown away by the quality of their offerings! Easily some of the best breakfasts we have ever had! The Japanese breakfast tray served up 3 different kinds of fish, plus home made tofu and more. The baked goods, specifically the French baguettes and the butter from Hiroshima, were superb, as good as anything that we had in France.

We enjoyed the complimentary Maiko Dance Performance (a maiko is a geisha in training) each evening and her dance was fantastic and a nice photo opportunity.

Our stay was just TOO SHORT !!! Kyoto is a fantastic city to visit and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto is the perfect base to explore Japan's ancient capital.
Interesting. Miriam has definitely put a lot of changes in from the previous regime! The room wasn't the semi suite deluxe balcony one on the top floor?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Interesting. Miriam has definitely put a lot of changes in from the previous regime! The room wasn't the semi suite deluxe balcony one on the top floor?
I would be surprised if anyone described a Deluxe Balcony as "supposedly a bit larger than the normal room" and also not mention the hinoki bath.

But I see where you're coming from, since I believe all of the Deluxe rooms are on the 1st floor, unless they created on on the top floor (which IIRC is the 5th floor) when they created the new suite up there, but I tend to doubt that.

The free drinks for Globs at Happy Hour sounds nice (especially if they are now clarifying the perk, since it was always a bit fuzzy), although some might have preferred having the one free drink in the bar at any time rather than unlimited during Happy Hour.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sapguy

Stayed here 2 years ago and I made the same comparison to France with the croissants. I was not surprised when the baker brought a basket of fresh, warm croissants around to find that he was French! When we joined our cruise a few days, we met 2 other couples who stayed here and also were commenting on the croissants!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Stayed here 2 years ago and I made the same comparison to France with the croissants. I was not surprised when the baker brought a basket of fresh, warm croissants around to find that he was French! When we joined our cruise a few days, we met 2 other couples who stayed here and also were commenting on the croissants!
While the croissants are indeed good, the baguettes at The Grill at the HR Kyoto are simply superb!

As someone who calls Paris one of my bases and as someone who knows France intimately, I have concluded that French restaurants in Japan are as good or BETTER than in France! It's no accident that practically all the great French chefs have outposts in Japan specifically Tokyo (the late great Joel Robuchon, Alain Ducasse, Anne-Sophie Pic, Michel Troisgros, Pierre Gagnaire, to name a few!).

In Tokyo, we ate at Cuisine[s] Michel Troigros (2 Michelin stars), Restaurant l'Amour (1 Michelin star), and L'Aube (1 Michelin star) and we were blown away by all of them. The Japanese chefs at l'Amour (Yusuke Goto) and at L'Aube (Hideaki Imahashi and Shoko Hirase) all learned and worked in France and they have shown me that they can be better, bolder, and more creative than their mentors!

But our kaiseki dinners in Kyoto at the 2 Michelin stars Roan Kikunoi (facilitated by the Concierge at the HR Kyoto as you will need their help to secure the reservation) and at Kichisen (3 Michelin stars) were simply out of this world !!! Eating at Roan Kikunoi while conversing with chef Yoshiharu Murata and watching him and his team putting on a show was something that I will never forget. Highly recommended !!!

Last edited by sapguy; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The hotel is pretty much sold out from the Emperor's birthday to Christmas to New Years. I was given a Deluxe room that is slightly bigger than a base normal room (window side has maybe a foot or two more). Not an issue since we barely spend anytime in there anyway. All outlets are doing Christmas/New Years brunches, lunches or dinners until 1/3.

Breakfast is very, very busy and they try their best to clear tables and seat you. It'd be better if they opened Sette to handle all the guests with breakfast included.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:24 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:39 am
Suspended

Excited to try this hotel. Was able to book on points during cherry blossom season which has to be one of the best values in the entire game.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Excited to try this hotel. Was able to book on points during cherry blossom season which has to be one of the best values in the entire game.
what dates are you going? We are here March 24-30 for Sakura

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.