Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:29 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Just booked 3 nights here in May, and in my confirmation email it details a listing of “additional taxes fees and service charges” totaling about 19%. Do these have to be paid on points stays (not C&P)?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
Just booked 3 nights here in May, and in my confirmation email it details a listing of “additional taxes fees and service charges” totaling about 19%. Do these have to be paid on points stays (not C&P)?
No. The 10% service charge and 8% consumption tax (also charged on the service charge, so together they total 18.8%) are charged on the actual amount paid, so on all point it will be zero. They are charged on the cash portion of P&C, and also on any F&B, spa, etc. charges.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
No. The 10% service charge and 8% consumption tax (also charged on the service charge, so together they total 18.8%) are charged on the actual amount paid, so on all point it will be zero. They are charged on the cash portion of P&C, and also on any F&B, spa, etc. charges.
​​​​​​
Apparently the 10% Service Charge is going up to 13% on April 1, 2018.
Also the Cash portion of the Cash & Point rate (when offered) which is supposed to be the equivalent in Yen of US$125 has been corrected to show an amount that is close enough to the exchange rate.. It is now in the 13,000 yen range rather than 16,000.
We were never overcharged by the hotel but the total amount with tax shown on the reservation was incorrect.

By the way, is the 3,000 yen Coupon for food and beverage still offered at certain times of the year?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by suite2suite

​​​​​​
Apparently the 10% Service Charge is going up to 13% on April 1, 2018.
Also the Cash portion of the Cash & Point rate (when offered) which is supposed to be the equivalent in Yen of US$125 has been corrected to show an amount that is close enough to the exchange rate.. It is now in the 13,000 yen range rather than 16,000.
We were never overcharged by the hotel but the total amount with tax shown on the reservation was incorrect.

By the way, is the 3,000 yen Coupon for food and beverage still offered at certain times of the year?
I haven't been checking as frequently as I used to, but as far as I know the 3,000 yen coupon is pretty much gone for good. Not surprised that they are following Tokyo's lead and raising the service charge. Good to hear that they have adjusted the ridiculous rate on T&C. Kyoto will be introducing a hotel tax from Oct. 1, similar to Tokyo but higher: 200 yen/night/person for stay charges (including service charges) of less than 20,000 yen/night/person, 500 yen for 20,000-50,000, and 1,000 yen for >50,000. And then the consumption tax is scheduled to go up from 8% to 10% from Oct 1 next year.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I haven't been checking as frequently as I used to, but as far as I know the 3,000 yen coupon is pretty much gone for good. Not surprised that they are following Tokyo's lead and raising the service charge. Good to hear that they have adjusted the ridiculous rate on T&C. Kyoto will be introducing a hotel tax from Oct. 1, similar to Tokyo but higher: 200 yen/night/person for stay charges (including service charges) of less than 20,000 yen/night/person, 500 yen for 20,000-50,000, and 1,000 yen for >50,000. And then the consumption tax is scheduled to go up from 8% to 10% from Oct 1 next year.
So ultimately we'll be looking at a ++ of 23%, plus 200/500/etc yen per night local taxes? I know Japanese tourism is booming, but these fees/taxes are getting out of hand. Most importantly, I wish there was consistency in how rates are quoted. Some hotels quote all-in (e.g., HR Fukuoka, HR Osaka, HR Naha), while others quote +tax (GH Fukuoka), or +tax and service charge (Tokyo properties). Of course SPG still beats Hyatt in this game of rate confusion -- some hotels (e.g, Sheraton Osaka) quote revenue rates all-in, but C&P rates exclusive of taxes and service charge.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
So ultimately we'll be looking at a ++ of 23%, plus 200/500/etc yen per night local taxes? I know Japanese tourism is booming, but these fees/taxes are getting out of hand. Most importantly, I wish there was consistency in how rates are quoted. Some hotels quote all-in (e.g., HR Fukuoka, HR Osaka, HR Naha), while others quote +tax (GH Fukuoka), or +tax and service charge (Tokyo properties). Of course SPG still beats Hyatt in this game of rate confusion -- some hotels (e.g, Sheraton Osaka) quote revenue rates all-in, but C&P rates exclusive of taxes and service charge.
Once the consumption tax goes up it will be 24.3% T&S at HR Kyoto, since the tax is also charged on the service charge, and I seem to recall that some hotels in Tokyo are now at 17% service charge, so that will be 28.7%. I also imagine that most guests at HR Kyoto will be paying 500 yen/night/person for the local hotel tax.

Many years ago before the introduction of the consumption tax all hotels quoted rates excluding service, but the service charge was universally 10%. Then for a while when the consumption tax was 5% the government issued "guidelines" for prices to be indicated including the tax and most hotels were quoting rates inclusive of T&S. Then when the tax went to 8% the guidelines were removed, resulting in the current inconsistency. It is of course the same at stores; some show prices including tax, others excluding. Maybe when it goes to 10% the guidelines will come back, but I tend to doubt that hotels will comply.

It is worthy noting that most of the hotels that quote rates inclusive of T&S or inclusive of service are lower-end. I doubt that there are many hotels with rates >30,000 yen that include T&S, since it makes the rates seem that much higher. But aren't hidden charges now the norm throughout the travel industry?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

But aren't hidden charges now the norm throughout the travel industry?
Yes, that's certainly true. These service charges are comparable to "resort fees" and other junk fees charged by hotels in the US. Still, with a 25-29% add-on, Japan will be (among?) the highest in the world. And in a lot of places, there have been efforts to require a clear display of the final price in marketing. So it's a little surprising that Japan, of all places, would allow this chaos.

In any case, thank you for the background info!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you OsakaWino for breaking down the service charges and taxes. Very enlightening!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Hyatt Kyoto Breakfast price for explorest?

Myself, wife & young child will be staying at this property as explorest. We have club access awards however, do not matter at this property since there is no club. Breakfast is important and we do not get that included based on our Hyatt status. Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

3500 yen plus tax and service charge per person.
kids under 6 are free.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: FB Silver, Accor Silver
Keep in mind that they serve pretty bad coffee and powder-based scrambled eggs there.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
That doesn’t match my recollection. Breakfast has always been high quality when we have stayed at the property.

Originally Posted by Cleveland88
Keep in mind that they serve pretty bad coffee and powder-based scrambled eggs there.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flyer121
Myself, wife & young child will be staying at this property as explorest. We have club access awards however, do not matter at this property since there is no club. Breakfast is important and we do not get that included based on our Hyatt status. Thank you for your help.
If you're on a paid stay you might want to consider something like Virtuoso or Prive to get breakfast comped.

They also have a small a la carte breakfast menu, and there is (or at least was; we haven't been back in more than year now) an option to have only the cold buffet (cold ham, smoked salmon, cheese, fruit, etc). I think it was about 1,000 yen less, which is what we would have chosen if we hadn't gotten comp breakfast.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Apr 23, 2018 at 6:22 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Cleveland88
The latte and cappuccino are both excellent and both available in place of regular coffee.

It is extremely unlikely that they use powdered eggs for anything, but if that is a concern, they also make eggs to order (omelette, poached, etc) on request at no extra charge for guests having the buffet.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:45 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure none of that is true.
drewp123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.