Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

On another note, I killed a mosquito in 1110's closet over the weekend. Just by pure chance.

I guess it was inevitable since outside has standing water and a lot of insect life.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Aventine
On another note, I killed a mosquito in 1110's closet over the weekend. Just by pure chance.

I guess it was inevitable since outside has standing water and a lot of insect life.
And on another note, I forgot to mention that the Corner King Room has double windows, which shuts out most noise. Probably installed due to the the Red Cross building's row of AC compressors that face the room.

And on an yet another note, the Corner King had an espresso machine, which is at least new over the last 6 months. Maybe they are going to add them to all room, but they were not there in June.

By the way, although it is unlikely that we'll ever stay in one, we have always wondered about the feeling of privacy for the suites facing the Japanese sand garden that the restaurants also face.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The windows are two way but there's rarely anyone out and about. Didn't see anyone this past weekend.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:39 am

The maids always open the windows during cleaning, at least for rooms that have been checked out (not sure for continuing guests), and of course there are no screens on the windows. Maybe something that the hospitality industry needs to consider in light of the appearance of Dengue fever in Tokyo last summer.

Noticed your comment on the Touzan kaiseki. We've had it a number of times over the years, but only when there was some special offer (a local radio station had 2-for-1, and our cable company had 33% off). Never been too impressed with it. But we like a lot of their izakuya-type menu, which is fairly reasonably priced (very reasonably if using the Ą3000 coupon). We especially (I mean really, really) recommend the ayu on the summer seasonal menu.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The maids always open the windows during cleaning, at least for rooms that have been checked out (not sure for continuing guests), and of course there are no screens on the windows. Maybe something that the hospitality industry needs to consider in light of the appearance of Dengue fever in Tokyo last summer.

Noticed your comment on the Touzan kaiseki. We've had it a number of times over the years, but only when there was some special offer (a local radio station had 2-for-1, and our cable company had 33% off). Never been too impressed with it. But we like a lot of their izakuya-type menu, which is fairly reasonably priced (very reasonably if using the Ą3000 coupon). We especially (I mean really, really) recommend the ayu on the summer seasonal menu.
I didn't know the suite had openable windows. Didn't really pay attention but that makes sense.

The kaiseki is okay when the Virtuoso benefit basically covers it. Maybe will take your advice and go izakaya style with the 3000 yen plus 100 USD credit. Thanks for that.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:32 am

I didn't know the suite had openable windows. Didn't really pay attention but that makes sense.

The kaiseki is okay when the Virtuoso benefit basically covers it. Maybe will take your advice and go izakaya style with the 3000 yen plus 100 USD credit. Thanks for that.
If for some strange reason your bill comes out to less than the US$100 + Ą3000 yen, remember that you can use the Ą3000 coupon for lunch or even to buy something in the pastry boutique to bring home; they have very nice biscotti.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If for some strange reason your bill comes out to less than the US$100 + Ą3000 yen, remember that you can use the Ą3000 coupon for lunch or even to buy something in the pastry boutique to bring home; they have very nice biscotti.
Thank you for the info. Usually, one kaiseki and some Grill entrees takes me to the limit but I will remember that
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:08 pm

wiki says: Complimentary taxi from JR Kyoto Station: MK Taxi, across the street from Hachijo Exit (south/shinkansen side). Once per room per stay. Available 9 AM to 7 PM.

But at the hotel website shows as:
TRAIN STATION TRANSFER
Pick up service by taxi from/to JR Kyoto Station.
One Way Ą 1,600.00

Is it complimentary or not?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

http://kyoto.regency.hyatt.com/en/ho...tostation.html
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironfire
wiki says: Complimentary taxi from JR Kyoto Station: MK Taxi, across the street from Hachijo Exit (south/shinkansen side). Once per room per stay. Available 9 AM to 7 PM.

TRAIN STATION TRANSFER
One Way Ą 1,600.00

Yes, it is.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ironfire

TRAIN STATION TRANSFER
One Way Ą 1,600.00

I believe this refers to a reserved hired car (also operated by MK, but an unmarked Lexus type with a driver in a suit rather than uniform).

As stated in the link posted by RTW1, the free MK taxi TO the hotel you have to go across the street to the MK taxi stand and sometimes wait in line (usually no line, but in a worst case during foliage or sakura it could be as long as 30 minutes).

Regular taxi fare between JR Kyoto and the hotel is about Ą700-Ą1000 depending mostly on how the taxi catches the traffic lights and a bit on the size of the taxi and the company. Last year most companies lowered their flagfall fare and shortened the distance it covers to 1.7 km. MK's flagfall is still for 2.0 km.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe this refers to a reserved hired car (also operated by MK, but an unmarked Lexus type with a driver in a suit rather than uniform).
They should have sent this guy to do my airport pickup before instead of the uniformed, misspelt name holding sign guy in the normal Crown Taxi.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:04 pm

They should have sent this guy to do my airport pickup before instead of the uniformed, misspelt name holding sign guy in the normal Crown Taxi.
I think MK has a number of these lux cars that they usually use for people hiring it for the entire day, and what they use for transfers is luck of the draw.

While train is best for us to KIX, we reserve MK Taxi if we need to go to Itami Airport and if you tell them you have a lot of luggage they usually send a very nice minivan at no extra charge, but not sure if that would hold true for booking through the hotel.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:11 pm

For anyone is booking a Deluxe Room, I recommend requesting an even numbered room (on the side with the little waterfall and pond). Most of the Deluxe Rooms are on the Garden Floor (B1), the odd numbered rooms either face a wall (are are very dark) or the Japanese sand garden. The sand garden is nice, but the rooms are easily seen from the restaurants so lack privacy. The even numbered rooms have a bit of greenery and a privacy screen, but they also have large windows with screens. Very nice to open the window and listen to the waterfall, and depending on the season, the crickets and the frogs in the pond.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think MK has a number of these lux cars that they usually use for people hiring it for the entire day, and what they use for transfers is luck of the draw.
Short end of the straw for me then. it was disappointing for 23,000 yen and I decided from then on to just drive myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.