Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You have made several assumptions that really have no basis in this thread.

Upgrades are tough here, not only because the hotel is regularly full, but also because there is not that much to upgrade to. You're not going to get the few corner or balcony rooms for multiple nights so what is left are the deluxe rooms. And those are only a tad bigger and not much else. And when the property is full those are most likely taken as well. So book the room you really want and don't expect an upgrade. You can ask for a room in the main building instead of the new wing, and that you most likely will get.

The location is also not as bad as you claim, lots of the Kyoto highlight are quite near and some aren't. But the same can be said for any of the Kyoto hotels. The sights are simply not that close..... The only location I find to be better is one of the hotels that's at the station like the Granvia. But even then you will have to take some form of transportation to get where you are going. Exactly like what you did now.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
The only location I find to be better is one of the hotels that's at the station like the Granvia.
+1

And I don't think the station location is that much better- and certainly the Hyatt is the better of the hotels. There is a newish Ritz Carlton but the prices are very high- otherwise if wanting to stay in a hotel and not a Ryokan I think the Hyatt Regency Kyoto is still the best alternative for under 80000 Yen per night.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:53 am

I don't agree that I made any assumptions without basis. This was my experience. Aside from being far from the major attractions, there weren't many restaurants or shops within short walking distance (2-3 blocks).

Also, I indicated that I wasn't expecting an upgrade so that didn't detract my experience from this stay. However when I add up the facts of receiving inconsistent service (which seems to be the norm at this property based on other members reviews), not appreciating the location and the low likelihood of receiving any upgrades then it's going to make me second guess returning unlike GH Tokyo, Andaz NYC or Hyatt TST et al where the service is consistently good, Diamonds are treated well and locations are great.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
We had a lovely experience overall. I think we were probably in one of the Grand Deluxe rooms, so space wasnt much of an issue. A few other quick notes

-- The hotel honored the 3000 Yen coupon and we used it at the trattoria (Sette) on site - the food was quite good, and exceeded my expectations (as a NYer, I felt that the pizza really compared very well with some of the best pizza I have had in NYC)

-- We didnt mind the location much - we used public transportation extensively (the concierge desk sells all-day bus passes for 500 Yen) and we used those to get around with the occasional taxi ride thrown in. It was convenient to Kyoto station (A short taxi/bus ride away) which meant we could make good use of our JR Rail pass to explore nearby towns (Arashiyama, Inari, and a day-trip to Miyajima).

-- Service was pretty good overall - the front desk staff was a bit indifferent when we checked in, but was fine on other days. The concierge was quite helpful, and the bellboys were especially helpful (stepping in whenever the concierge desk was swamped).

-- Breakfast was okay; we were told the meal did not include custom orders, so we didn't bother. We asked to sit outside (in the little garden) everyday and that was a great choice...we had it all to ourselves each day, and were able to enjoy a long and relaxed breakfast in peace.

-- We loved our massage at the Riraku spa. It currently has a 20% discount for HGP members.

Overall, we felt this was a fantastic use of our (pre-deval) HGP points.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I like the location. We walked everywhere from Kizyomizu dera to Tofukuji. On a nice day, it's not a bad walk from Kyoto station either. Tons of food options on the walk from the station and along the river. Just a quick cab ride to Gion as well.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevneerg
I don't agree that I made any assumptions without basis. This was my experience. Aside from being far from the major attractions, there weren't many restaurants or shops within short walking distance (2-3 blocks).
The hotel is next door to Sanjusangendo temple, one of Kyoto's most important, and across the street from the Kyoto National museum, the most important local museum. There are several other temples and shrines within 1,000 feet. The nearest subway station is also within 1,000 feet. I hope you didn't skip these simply to be able to support your claim!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:21 am

They may be important, but neither of them came up as "must" see attractions for a short Kyoto itinerary in any of the guides I looked at. Also, any good restaurants around that area that's within a few blocks? Even the concierge couldn't direct me to any without taking a taxi.

Everything is relative, but for me the location is not great. These aren't claims or assumptions, just my opinion.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The hotel is next door to Sanjusangendo temple, one of Kyoto's most important, and across the street from the Kyoto National museum, the most important local museum. There are several other temples and shrines within 1,000 feet. The nearest subway station is also within 1,000 feet. I hope you didn't skip these simply to be able to support your claim!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Everything is relative, but for me the location is not great. These aren't claims or assumptions, just my opinion.
Your opinion might be a bit clouded by your perception of the location without having looked at any alternatives. I think that if you look at a map you will quickly learn that no hotel is close to most of "the must see" sites. For instance you will be hard pressed to find anything in NW Kyoto and most people go to visit Ryoan-ji and Kinkaku-ji. The same applies for the SE of Kyoto with Kiyomizu-dera and the other temples. Etc...

Most hotels, like the HR are close to some to of the sights but not to others. And no hotel is close to everything, the sights are simply spread out. I think if you look at your schedule and plot that on the map you will find that it's mostly your perception that you could have done better, especially if you traveled by taxi. For food and shops the only location that is significant better is the area surrounding the station. But most of what you find there is a lot worse than the HR.....

The concierge was simply lazy (or going on experience) in assuming you didn't want to bother walking or taking public transport, plenty of other options than just taxi's. But since those take some explaining they normally don't bother, and most people staying at the HR can afford the taxi's.

What would have been a better location and hotel in your opinion?

Last edited by RTW1; Oct 25, 2014 at 3:24 am
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
As stated in the Wiki, egg orders (at least poached eggs and egg white omelettes) can be ordered complimentary for Diamonds. If a server says different, they probably mean that things ordered off the ala carte menu are extra. If I want some eggs I usually ask the cook carving the ham rather than one of the servers.

Touzan jettisoned their English-speaking staff when they went with their low-priced menu, and now the servers are all part-timers, mostly college students, so the level is about what you will find around town rather than what you might expect at a hotel restaurant. Of course the menu is available in English, just don't expect to be able to ask a bunch of questions.

Location is a difficult thing to discuss for Kyoto. As pointed out extensively above, things are spread out, so no matter where you stay you'll be close to some things and far from others. I've never looked at an English tour book for Kyoto, but I would think that Kiyomizu, which is within walking distance from the HR would be ranked in the top 5, if not the top 3.

As for transport, it too can generate a lot of discussion. The HR is less than 5 minutes walk from a Keihan station (it is underground but not part of the subway system), and maybe 15 minutes to the subway and JR, but combining the 3 train systems to get places is not that cheap and a bit time consuming. And slightly farther afield there are also the Hankyu and Kintetsu trains, plus the line going up to Kurama... Buses go everywhere, but can be incredibly crowded. Most of the school excursion kids use taxis these days, rent a taxi for the entire day and split the cost among 4 kids, or more using a minivan taxi. Otherwise it is hard to go see 4 or 5 different sights all in one day. A good reason to limit yourself to just a couple each day.

It is true that if someone wants lots of restaurants within a few minutes walk, then staying at the Granvia is a good choice, but then there is not much for atmosphere for an evening stroll. If someone does not like the location of the HR, I guess they won't like the location of the new Four Seasons that is going up a 2-minute walk away.

We missed our Oct stay because a typhoon came in on the weekend we had planned, but we'll be back there next weekend, our first stay in a long while without the Ą3000 coupon.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:01 am

I don't know what other hotel may be better as I haven't done any research. I posted about my experience and indicated the location didn't do it for me, but you seem hard pressed to change my mind for some reason. I don't have any preconceived notions of anything. I think you're reading too much into my initial post about my stay. Feel free to re-read.

Several other people mentioned Granvia...maybe that's a good alternative. I'll look into it for my next visit.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Your opinion might be a bit clouded by your perception of the location without having looked at any alternatives. I think that if you look at a map you will quickly learn that no hotel is close to most of "the must see" sites. For instance you will be hard pressed to find anything in NW Kyoto and most people go to visit Ryoan-ji and Kinkaku-ji. The same applies for the SE of Kyoto with Kiyomizu-dera and the other temples. Etc...

Most hotels, like the HR are close to some to of the sights but not to others. And no hotel is close to everything, the sights are simply spread out. I think if you look at your schedule and plot that on the map you will find that it's mostly your perception that you could have done better, especially if you traveled by taxi. For food and shops the only location that is significant better is the area surrounding the station. But most of what you find there is a lot worse than the HR.....

The concierge was simply lazy (or going on experience) in assuming you didn't want to bother walking or taking public transport, plenty of other options than just taxi's. But since those take some explaining they normally don't bother, and most people staying at the HR can afford the taxi's.

What would have been a better location and hotel in your opinion?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
They may be important, but neither of them came up as "must" see attractions for a short Kyoto itinerary in any of the guides I looked at.
Let me let you in on a little secret about Kyoto for your next time: The "must" see attractions are usually the ones you want to avoid (unless you're just ticking off boxes), as they are so crowded nobody goes there anymore. Sanjusangendo is one Kyoto's "must see" attractions in my book, and in many others. The museum is also quite nice and worth a look.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't know what other hotel may be better as I haven't done any research. I posted about my experience and indicated the location didn't do it for me, but you seem hard pressed to change my mind for some reason.
I really could care less about changing your opinion, but if do a review of a property stating the location is bad you need to back that up. Someone reading your review might not know otherwise that some of the sights most visitors go to are quite close, and that some aren't. But also that you won't do much better locationwise with most other properties.

Opinions are what this thread are for. But making those based on facts is even better.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Granvia would be my recommendation for lots of cheap restaurants and relatively convenient transportation, but if I couldn't stay at the Hyatt my next choice would be the Westin, similarly with no close restaurants and similarly within walking distance of many interesting temples.

Sights in Kyoto are seasonal. To see the best sakura it is usually necessary to go to the most crowded places.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Sights in Kyoto are seasonal. To see the best sakura it is usually necessary to go to the most crowded places.
And that's when the HR also tends to play around somewhat with availability... I've been looking for a few nights at the end of November. Managed to get one with points but the rest of the week was sold out for quite a while.

Several of the other booking engines did have availability and then one day a few days became available with Hyatt as well, and not just one room but almost all types. Nothing on points though.....even though the standard rooms were available. I did manage to get one for a fairly decent rate, so I'm not really complaining. But at peak times availability changes a lot and they do seem to block a lot of inventory.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
The "must" see attractions are usually the ones you want to avoid (unless you're just ticking off boxes), as they are so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed with my stay at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto in August. I found everything about it just meh - service, rooms, location, and it is truly an ugly building.

If the HR had ANY real competitors in Kyoto it would be under serious pricing pressure. But going up against the sad old Westin and the $800usd+ Ritz Carlton they seem to be able to get away with high rates for pretty average quality.

A Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt in Kyoto would be most welcome dear lurkers. One can only dream!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.