Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by m0hamed
FTers, can you please shed any light as to why rates are so high, and the hotel sold out often on late October and November? Some nights are over $1,000, while guaranteed availability is half that on others.

It's our first time to Japan and we want to split 5-7 nights at the HR Kyoto and the PH Tokyo but I've given up trying to find dates at the HR.

We may consider the St Regis Osaka, but which property is best for those wanting to juxtapose Tokyo with another city? I've read all 30 pages, and the wiki and I'm getting the impression that Kyoto is surrounded by sights we would want to visit.
If you're only seeing rates around ¥100,000 it would probably mean a specialty package, as I'm pretty sure even the deluxe rooms do not go that high even at peak, and I believe that the suites do not show up online.

October and November are considered the best times of the year in Japan, October in particular is peak wedding season, meaning HR Kyoto might be hard to get on a weekend, and late November is foliage time, so it is likely to be full even on weekdays. As RTW1 pointed out, the guaranteed rate of ¥40,000 is lower than the HDR at peak times, so it would be good to grab it.

The Granvia is conveniently located for public transport. Staying in Osaka is not impossible, but the fastest train is 30 minutes (with other trains taking 40-45 minutes), so it means at least 45 minutes wasted at the start and end of each day vs the Granvia or HR Kyoto.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:04 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Thanks OsakaWino and RTW1. I don't mind paying more than $500 a night for a hotel, but I would expect it to a Park Hyatt, St Regis or Four Seasons. Even the guaranteed availability rate for a 28 sq metre room, while lower, seems excessive.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:15 am

FTers, can you please shed any light as to why rates are so high, and the hotel sold out often on late October and November? Some nights are over $1,000, while guaranteed availability is half that on others.

It's our first time to Japan and we want to split 5-7 nights at the HR Kyoto and the PH Tokyo but I've given up trying to find dates at the HR.

We may consider the St Regis Osaka, but which property is best for those wanting to juxtapose Tokyo with another city? I've read all 30 pages, and the wiki and I'm getting the impression that Kyoto is surrounded by sights we would want to visit.
Osaka is about a thirty minute train ride from Kyoto, so if Kyoto hotels are ridiculously overpriced during your travel dates it could make sense to stay in Osaka and visit Kyoto and other parts of the region by train. In Osaka the Ritz-Carlton is my first choice, but if you are SPG plat St. Regis could make a lot of sense. Even the Hilton and Westin are well located and could be good choices if you can get a nice club room or suite.

There is no way I would ever pay USD $1000 for a standard room at HR Kyoto. Your travel dates must be in peak season, as rates like this are not common. Perhaps tentatively book some nights at guaranteed availability rate, and continue to check back and/or ask management if they can offer a lower rate.

Other options in Kyoto would be Ritz-Carlton, Westin Miyako (if booking top level club rooms/suites). Japanese style options would be Hoshinoya, or traditional Ryokan like Hiiragiya and Tawaraya.

Thanks OsakaWino and RTW1. I don't mind paying more than $500 a night for a hotel, but I would expect it to a Park Hyatt, St Regis or Four Seasons. Even the guaranteed availability rate for a 28 sq metre room, while lower, seems excessive.
I agree. Having stayed several times, I would hesitate to pay more than USD $300~$400 for a standard room at HR Kyoto. It is often available for around that rate during periods of lower occupancy.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 22, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Even the guaranteed availability rate for a 28 sq metre room, while lower, seems excessive.
I've not seen rooms at HR go much lower then JPY 35000 for this period in the last years. The Granvia normally is equally expensive. It's not simply the room you are renting, time of year is a factor anywhere.

And they normally sell out as well. But Osaka offcourse will be cheaper.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
HR rates have gone up this past year, mostly the rates appear the same, but before they were tax and service included, while now those are both extra, meaning an increase of close to 20%, and they are still often quite full.

As I said, there is no way a simple standard room at HR Kyoto is listed at ¥100,000!!!!

As I also said, Osaka Umeda is not "about 30 minutes" from Kyoto. The fastest train takes 30 minutes, it is mostly difficult to get 2 seats together and I have even stood the entire 30 minutes a couple of times.
From a hotel in Umeda 45 minutes is an absolute minimum, probably well over an hour for someone staying the first time in the area.

On the other hand, for a first trip to Japan, riding the trains is not that bad of a thing to experience. If you can get a much better rate in Umeda and other benefits at a better hotel, and are not prone to sleeping in too much in the morning, it is certainly doable.

But you're looking at 3 days in Kyoto? And the rate is too high by $100 or so a day? So what percentage of your international trip to Japan does $300 come too....

If you wanted to visit only Melbourne CBT, would you stay in St. Kilda? Or maybe somewhere up in the Yarra? For a difference of $100 a day...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
HR rates have gone up this past year, mostly the rates appear the same, but before they were tax and service included, while now those are both extra, meaning an increase of close to 20%, and they are still often quite full.

As I said, there is no way a simple standard room at HR Kyoto is listed at ¥100,000!!!!

As I also said, Osaka Umeda is not "about 30 minutes" from Kyoto. The fastest train takes 30 minutes, it is mostly difficult to get 2 seats together and I have even stood the entire 30 minutes a couple of times.
From a hotel in Umeda 45 minutes is an absolute minimum, probably well over an hour for someone staying the first time in the area.

On the other hand, for a first trip to Japan, riding the trains is not that bad of a thing to experience. If you can get a much better rate in Umeda and other benefits at a better hotel, and are not prone to sleeping in too much in the morning, it is certainly doable.

But you're looking at 3 days in Kyoto? And the rate is too high by $100 or so a day? So what percentage of your international trip to Japan does $300 come too....

If you wanted to visit only Melbourne CBT, would you stay in St. Kilda? Or maybe somewhere up in the Yarra? For a difference of $100 a day...
While staying in Osaka is not ideal if one is mainly interested in Kyoto, Nara, etc..., in my experience it can be a very good base if one also wants to visit attractions in Osaka, or perhaps in Hyogo prefacture.

I have heard that Platinums are treated very well at St. Regis Osaka (suite upgrades and a host of other benefits). Time permitting I would possibly suggest combining a high-end Ryokan stay in Kyoto - or a stay a the new Ritz-Carlton Kyoto or Hoshinoya - with an Osaka hotel (e.g. R-C, St. Regis).

I agree that USD $1000 for HR Kyoto sounds ridiculous. The first step might be to contact management at the property and see if they cannot offer something more reasonable (e.g. honor the same guaranteed availability rate for all nights of the stay.) By definition the guaranteed availability rate should be available even in sold out situations.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Mike -- thanks for all the helpful input. We are visiting Kyoto in mid-October and have a room at the HR blocked on points (the rates for our nights there are also not unreasonable). I was interested in spending a night at a Ryokan if possible - are there any that you would recommend? Is Hoshinoya a good option?

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
While staying in Osaka is not ideal if one is mainly interested in Kyoto, Nara, etc..., in my experience it can be a very good base if one also wants to visit attractions in Osaka, or perhaps in Hyogo prefacture.

I have heard that Platinums are treated very well at St. Regis Osaka (suite upgrades and a host of other benefits). Time permitting I would possibly suggest combining a high-end Ryokan stay in Kyoto - or a stay a the new Ritz-Carlton Kyoto or Hoshinoya - with an Osaka hotel (e.g. R-C, St. Regis).

I agree that USD $1000 for HR Kyoto sounds ridiculous. The first step might be to contact management at the property and see if they cannot offer something more reasonable (e.g. honor the same guaranteed availability rate for all nights of the stay.) By definition the guaranteed availability rate should be available even in sold out situations.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Quasiconvexity
Mike -- thanks for all the helpful input. We are visiting Kyoto in mid-October and have a room at the HR blocked on points (the rates for our nights there are also not unreasonable). I was interested in spending a night at a Ryokan if possible - are there any that you would recommend? Is Hoshinoya a good option?
Hoshinoya is a good option, but is not really a traditional ryokan. Hiiragiya and Tawaraya are famous ryokans and well regarded in the Luxury Hotels forum, but there are many others in Kyoto to choose from. For just one night it might be fun to stay in a traditional Ryokan with dinner and breakfast served in room.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:32 pm

Sorry to take the thread off track a little, have any of you stayed in the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto? October will be my second trip to Kyoto--have a room reserved at HR. The rooms in Ritz Carlton is considerably more, is it "worth" the extra $600/nt to stay there?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The RC has its own thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ton-kyoto.html

Quite a few not so favorable reviews on TA, especially about the service.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by op487062
Sorry to take the thread off track a little, have any of you stayed in the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto? October will be my second trip to Kyoto--have a room reserved at HR. The rooms in Ritz Carlton is considerably more, is it "worth" the extra $600/nt to stay there?
This was recently discussed in the Luxury Hotels forum, the thread should come up if you do a search.

R-C is undoubtedly nicer, but if there is a huge price difference I think the Hyatt provides bettet value. If money is no object, go for the R-C. Personally, I am waiting for rates to drop, as they invariably do after new hotels in Japan have been open for a while.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Hoshinoya is a good option, but is not really a traditional ryokan. Hiiragiya and Tawaraya are famous ryokans and well regarded in the Luxury Hotels forum, but there are many others in Kyoto to choose from. For just one night it might be fun to stay in a traditional Ryokan with dinner and breakfast served in room.
Thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:17 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsakaWino

On my dates the Westin and RC Kyoto are sold out as well, perhaps that's what's affecting the rates.

The issue isn't the $100, the issue is paying that much for what is a base room of 28 sqm with little chance of an upgrade.

I can get a Grand Deluxe at the StR and possibly a suite upgrade. I am yet not to receive a complimentary suite upgrade at any StR worldwide, including the infamous StR SIN which denies this benefit to most without applying a SNA.

We want to go to Universal anyway, so for us the StR makes sense for the room double the size (at a minimum) the rate and the fact that we are flying into KIX from HKG.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
I stayed here three nights in mid July (my second stay). I got the 3000 yen coupon that has been mentioned earlier in this thread. The lady checking me in told me it was because I had booked the hotel via hyatt.com (I'm a Gold passport member but only the lowest Gold tier).

Anyway I used the coupon twice, once at Touzan and once at Trattoria sette. Both meals I found to be very good.

Overall I had a very nice stay at Hyatt Regency Kyoto. Great staff.

Last edited by broenor; Aug 7, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:45 pm

We are planning to stay for four nights August 22nd - 26th.

Is the 3,000 yen coupon still available? My wife is Diamond level if that impacts the coupon.

We are using points + cash for our stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.