Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:06 am
ES

I just tried to redeem a FFN award for Kyoto and received the following "error": "The property you have selected is not participating in the promotion you have selected". The FFN T&C only listed two properties that were not participating in FFN. Was it the days I selected or has anyone had luck redeeming a FFN award?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ES
I just tried to redeem a FFN award for Kyoto and received the following "error": "The property you have selected is not participating in the promotion you have selected". The FFN T&C only listed two properties that were not participating in FFN. Was it the days I selected or has anyone had luck redeeming a FFN award?
I've noticed some properties (the Park Hyatt Zurich comes to mind) always have this "error" message. Therefore, for such, I always Gold Passport to check availability and book the award. Frequently, there was availability on the dates I wanted.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:28 am

I stayed recently at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto and just wanted to confirm (as others have said) that it is an excellent hotel. The location is quite good; it is across the street from the Kyoto National Museum and next door to Sanjusangen temple, one of the major sites to see in Kyoto. It is a short walk to the metro station. They offer a complimentary taxi service from the station when checking in. However, the ride is about 700 yen, so it's not a big expensive to take a taxi back when checking out.

The service was excellent. I had asked about a restaurant recommendation for a Kaiseki meal and got a printed map with directions slipped under my room door several hours later. They have a free DVD rental library and free use of the internet with two laptop computers in the library. They also include free tea or coffee via room service for gold passport members.

The rooms are comfortable, but it is clearly not as impressive a building as the Park Hyatt Tokyo (which I had come from the night before). However, the service seems comparable to that provided at the Park Hyatt. The rate is also more reasonable at about 1/3 the price of the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Overall, if I wanted a western style hotel in Kyoto I would stay here again.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

We just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Hyatt Kyoto. I already wish I had a return visit scheduled. Others have already reported on the hotel and nearby sightseeing. Here's a bit of shopping info.

There is a street that specializes in pottery shops, about a 6 block walk away. The shops very widely, from tat to exquisite. Prices also vary, though not consistently with (my perception of) quality. You can find directions to the street here. Even if you don't read Japanese (and I don't), you'll see that there is a plethora of shops. We found some particularly affordable, yet very nice bowls here.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:41 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I stayed there last week . . . and I did get an upgrade to a deluxe balcony room -- WONDERFUL -- one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Lunch and dinner were fine -- tho I noticed the sheet of paper on my desk inviting me to a free bottle of wine with dinner [I]after[I] I had had dinner, oh well, I shouldn't drink that much anyway! Would definitely stay again (especially should I be lucky enough for that upgrade again)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:40 pm

Great info, pictures and advice

Hi -
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on the Hyatt Kyoto.

I'm extending a business trip that concludes on a Thursday. Moving from the corporate approved hotel to the Park Hyatt ( and joining my wife who flying out for our first trip to Japan ). We will travel to Kyoto on Sat and broke from our long SPG trend to stay at this hotel based on all the input.

I hope our trip report is a helpful to others as the ones we have read here.
Thanks again to all.

Joe

Last edited by travelinjoe; Jan 14, 2007 at 9:41 pm Reason: missed a typo
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Latest Diamond perks.

Exceptional room upgrade, full breakfast vouchers, bottle of wine with dinner at The Grill, mini bottle of sake with dinner at Touzan (included in welcome back letter) and as reported recently two welcome drinks at check-in (not offered on our latest stay.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Lifetime Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Exceptionally professionally run hotel. Seemed like the entire staff knew me after only 3 days. They were all knowlegable and helpful. No suite upgrade, but deluxe room was enormous. No pool, but you could fit a baby elephant in the bathtub.

One of the best Hyatts in the world.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Exceptional room upgrade, full breakfast vouchers, bottle of wine with dinner at The Grill, mini bottle of sake with dinner at Touzan (included in welcome back letter) and as reported recently two welcome drinks at check-in (not offered on our latest stay.
This week, got upgraded to one of the 5th floor rooms with a balcony and a huge bathroom with the cedar tub. Very nice room. Best western hotel in Kyoto, no question. Nowadays, rates are quite reasonable, I paid 14,000 yen per night on a weekday.
Old May 28, 2007, 1:45 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
HR Kyoto 5/2007 with side trip to Kanazawa, Kuzauha Mall (Osaka) and possibly Shiga

Mod.: Please keep open until I complete report, people have a chance to read and comment on. Thanks.

Well I will start this off this way and add as it goes along. Too much to keep in the memory bank and write. Above is our plan for three nights in Kyoto. It may change for please excuse. So here we go with the standard stuff on the Hotel since our last stay. Will add the side trip reports.

Preface: We have three nights in Kyoto to do things and see friends. Yasuki checked in right behind us. It will be a fun night out. Sho-chu will flow tonight.

Rate: A little less than 20,000 yen all in tonight with tomorrow less. Both nights prepaid. Will move to Westin Miyako last night.

Transportation: The MK taxi was still comp from Kyoto Station. Come out the Hachijo guchi exit. South side for me. Cross the street and look for the taxi rank. The office/lot is being renovated. One way to Hotel is comp..

The bus also makes frequent stops in front of the Hotel to Kyoto Station.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: We were greeted warmly. The GM recognized and greeted us. We talked over ice tea as we waited for our room to be prepared.

Perks: A upgrade if available. Breakfast coupons. In our room we had a note offering a small bottle of sake at Touzan. There was also a standard letter offering a bottle of wine with dinner at the Grill. Fresh strawberries arrived a little later.

Lounge: none here

Room: Standard as written about previously.

Bathroom: same

Internet: Continues to be 1575 all in provided by inter-touch.

Gym: did not try

Spa: did not try

Eating venues: did not try

Local markets: There are a number of AM/PM type markets as you head towards Keihan Station. We walked it.

Local area: Kyoto National Museum and Sanjusangen-do Temple (1001 golden buddha) with one minute.

Nagatives: It would be nice to have a lounge and bus service to/from Kyoto Station.

Closing: Continues to be a nice Hyatt choice in Japan.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; May 28, 2007 at 7:13 am
Old May 28, 2007, 1:59 am

A statement on travel in Japan. You need not fear the cost.

I thought I would make a comment on this. I have tons of friends who would love to visit Japan. They have a perception this is an expensive country and getting around could be a problem. Not. We are conservative. Every place we will visit will be less than $200 US per night or much less. This is nothing compared to Europe. We bought Green Car JR rail passes and it was a little over $300 for seven days. Japan hotel pricing is getting to be like the rest of the world where as you get closer to arrival if rooms are available they may get cheaper. Hence our second night here over the Westin Miyako which was 4000 yen more.

We walked to Keihan Station and for 150 yen each were in Kyoto proper. Walked to Muji which is a store where my wife has her glasses made. Very reasonable. A lady from Israel who we helped was shocked with the prices. 75% less. She ordered three pairs. Ready in one hour. We went to the basement of Muji to meal Muji. I was able to pick three items, have rice and miso soup for 680 yen. My wife had curry for 840 yen. A total of 1520. We had water. That is a little more than $12 for us both. Are you getting it yet. Like all places in the world you can spend tons or simply look around. Last night in Nagoya we had a party of four. It included salad, pizza, pasta, drinks and desserts. It was less than 8000 yen.

You will love Japan. It is the only place in the world where everyone would return if they had the opportunity. It has energy and is clean. Clean.

A couple people have asked about communications. Well we know they have internet. I bought a prepaid phone a couple years back with the help of a friend in Japan. Mine is now from Softbank which bought out Vodaphone. My handset is in English as are all the commands I get from it. I by prepaid cards in increments of 3000 yen and load them simply by dialing 1400. I use about 1500 yen per day during market hours/days. The load is good for like 4 months and you keep your number for a year. You can buy prepaid KDDI phone cards for use with telephones. They are great rates.

Tonight there will be five of us out. Will let you know the cost. This trip we are Hilton Osaka, Hilton Nagoya, Hyatt Regency Kyoto then Westin Miyako Kyoto. We maintain highest status at all.

More on those side trips starting tomorrow. Time to get ready to head out. Regards
Old May 28, 2007, 7:20 am

This evening after dinner we went to the Hotel bar Touzan. If you show your room key and give your room number you are apparently entitled to a welcome drink. Beer, wine or champagne. We ended the night well. FYI. Both of us are Diamonds and my wife of course joined us.

Dinner this evening for five at a Japanese with mucho drinks. The restaurant serves individual items. Total all in 16400 yen. $130 US. Japan is reasonable.

Off to the new mall in Osaka via the Keihan line. Less than 300 yen each way tomorrow per person. More later.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:34 am

rtwstaralliance, I've now started traveling to Japan thanks to you and your great trip reports. I completely agree re prices. Japan IS affordable. Also, public transportation is highly efficient and well priced.

What kind of room did you get at the HR Kyoto? Were you given any kind of upgrade?
Old May 28, 2007, 11:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Japan is NOT expensive any more and hasn't been for several years. But it's our little secret and we don't want it to get out, so shhhh!!!!

What is lacking in Japan is a good tourist infrastructure. Don't expect to have everything organized for you and don't expect group tours to be a good way to go. There are few destinations in the world which reward advance planning as much as Japan. So before you go, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Finally, Hyatt has some excellent properties in Japan. I've only stayed at two (this one in Kyoto and, of course, the PH Tokyo) but have eaten at both the Century Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. I am looking forward to trying the new Hyatt in Hakone some time.

There are other Hyatts in Fukuoka and Osaka. Not that many folks get to Fukuoka, and probably not me. The Osaka Hyatt seems to be in a poor location for tourism, but why would you stay in Osaka when Kyoto is an option?

Go for it.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What is lacking in Japan is a good tourist infrastructure. Don't expect to have everything organized for you and don't expect group tours to be a good way to go. There are few destinations in the world which reward advance planning as much as Japan. So before you go, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
This is a really good point, and can't be emphasized enough. I travel a lot, and am a very comfortable traveler. I have to do a lot more prep work for Japan than elsewhere. I can't go out for the day and plan things on the fly. For example, taxis are quite expensive, while public transport is good value. I need to have planned how to get to where I am going, and then to the next point, and then to the next point. I'll often have the hotel concierge write things out in characters and English, so that I've got something to show other people to ask if need be.

I've been to Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, and Tokyo in the past year. I've done my research in advance, and gone knowing what I hope to see. This has paid off richly.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The Osaka Hyatt seems to be in a poor location for tourism, but why would you stay in Osaka when Kyoto is an option?
For 1/2 a FFN credit at a cheap rate, of course! It worked well for that, with a limo bus straight from Kansai, free transport from the Osaka Hyatt to the train station, and then a quick train the next day to Kyoto. (The hotel is very convenient to Universal Studios Japan iirc, though I doubt most Americans go to Osaka for that.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.