Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Back again.

Had my son, daughter-in-law and their two children over for breakfast. The older one is 4 and the younger is an infant (she didn't eat).

Service a bit slow - wait staff wonderful but kitchen very slow and the place was near empty. When the check came, I reminded the server that breakfast should have been free for me and my wife as we are Diamond Elite. He took the bill back and returned two minutes later basically to tell me tht the entire breakfast was comped because service was slow!

What a place!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Great stay

Our family spent an extended weekend in DC a week ago and we decided to stay in PH. Used this stay to burn my last 3 FFNs. Got upgraded to the Park Suite (my first upgrade of this sort on free stays). The suite was quite spacious - I think they are listed at ~1,100 sqft. There is a bedroom, office/work room (converted into a second bedroom for our stay with an extra bed), huge living room and a pretty big bathroom. Water and some fruits were complementary (water replenished several times a day). The diamond amenity was 1/2 liter bottle of pretty good cabernet sauvignon and a cheese tray (not very fancy - some brie, crackers, whole grain bred, few grapes and few dry apricots). For some strange reason we got this spread twice - both the first and the second evening. We didn't complain .

All interactions with staff were pleasant and we were greeted by our last name every time. I always appreciate the effort although it is neither expected nor required by me. As someone mentioned, the pool and the gym are in a weird location and it was quite a hike to get there. Breakfast was comped for all 3 of us - no reminders needed from us (as it should be). The spread was nothing spectacular but it was more than enough. I liked the selection of teas as I am not a coffee person. I regret not allocating some time for the tea house visit. Apparently they have a large selection of rare teas.

All in all, a great stay made even better with an unexpected upgrade ^.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked into this place as a Diamond, and I have to say I'm not impressed.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and I've had dinner at the Blue Duck restaurant before which was great.

I first received a standard room which was no larger than my Aloft room from the night before. Low ceilings, very drab decor, certainly something that's not worth $500+/night. I asked if there were any Delxue Rooms available, and I was moved to one (for being Diamond).

The Deluxe Room was on the fourth floor, and my view was several pieces of HVAC equipment and what I believe to be an industrial co-generation system. The room had two small windows making it very dark and dreary, and the installed light fixtures were not enough to compensate for the lack of natural light.

Furnishings were very "blah" and an awful combination of minimalistic with some cheap four-legged traditional tables from North Carolina. The curved desk was nice, but there wasn't a real desk chair.

The hallways were dark and ugly; I felt like I could be in any old Hilton or Sheraton.

While the service is good, when looking to drop a few extra pennies on a nice room in D.C., I will definitely consider the RC, Fairmont, new W, etc. before returning to the PH. This hotel is definitely not on the same level as other PHs I've stayed at (Chicago, Shanghai, and Sydney).
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

That's a shame, UNITED959, and so at variance with my repeated terrific experiences there. I've got no idea why you had such bad room assignments, particularly as a diamond, and am very sorry to hear it.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
What can a Plat member expect?

Diamond upgrades to Jr Suites and free breakfast are nice. However, what can a Platinum member expect from this hotel?

I just started to try out Hyatt considering the generous promotions for UA 1K and FFN and was granted a trial Plat status in Sept. I didn't want to use the once a lifetime status match to Diamond until I'm ready to commit.

I'm wondering whether I should use my FFN at the PH after Christmas? I can always use my SPG Plat gift and stay at one of the Westins that has a Lounge.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:06 pm

Hyatt Diamond gives you:
1. Free full breakfast for 2 for hotels with no lounge
2. Upgrades to Junior Suite with lovely bathroom
3. Free high speed internet access
4. Welcome amenity (usually a bottle of wine or an apple pie -- you can choose) or 1000 GP points

If you're staying between Xmas and NY, most likely no. 2 above is a guarantee. We stayed twice during that period and the hotel was practically deserted.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Hyatt Diamond gives you:
4. Welcome amenity (usually a bottle of wine or an apple pie -- you can choose) or 1000 GP points

If you're staying between Xmas and NY, most likely no. 2 above is a guarantee. We stayed twice during that period and the hotel was practically deserted.
Wait, this is what Diamonds are supposed to receive at the PH Washington?!?!

I got #3, and that's it.

All I can say is never accept room #431 (unless you're an HVAC enthusiast and enjoy looking at air conditioning compressors).

I had planned to spend the morning in the room doing some work, but instead I caught an earlier flight from DCA and opted to work from the RCC. When a relatively experienced traveler chooses the RCC over a Park Hyatt, you know the room is below average!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Wait, this is what Diamonds are supposed to receive at the PH Washington?!?!

I got #3, and that's it.

All I can say is never accept room #431 (unless you're an HVAC enthusiast and enjoy looking at air conditioning compressors).

I had planned to spend the morning in the room doing some work, but instead I caught an earlier flight from DCA and opted to work from the RCC. When a relatively experienced traveler chooses the RCC over a Park Hyatt, you know the room is below average!
Park Deluxe room is a junior suite. So you got the upgrade.

I personally really like this hotel. I find the rooms very pleasant, and really like the style. The Park Deluxe is quite a nice room in my opinion, and I've been around. It's not something to the level you'd find in Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc, but it's certainly competitive for the generally lower standards we have here in the US. When you consider the price point, it becomes even nicer.

Service is very friendly, although a bit amateur and prone to mistakes. Food and beverage at the hotel is among the highest I've seen at a US hotel.

Make no mistake, this place is never going to compete with the best hotels in the world. But I think that it competes pretty well with US and in particular DC hotels.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
A truly spectacular hotel. We arrived on the Acela from NY, SUCH a disappointment having to fight for seats etc despite booking business class. The cab driver from Union station charged $6.50 extra for baggage despite us having to lug our large suitcases in and out of the boot ourselves. Doorman at the PH overheard us telling him we thought it was a joke, and immediately took over, telling the driver we were not paying the extra!

He greeted us incredibly warmly, as did the reception clerk who spent a good 15 mins talking to us. Diamond amenity was offered as "anything you want, anything you can think of in hotel land." We chose the home made apple pie, with ice cream which was divine. Due to the argument with the cab driver the also sent up an expensive bottle of white wine.

Used a certificate to upgrade to a Park Suite which was truly sensational. The stone bathroom and stone tub were stunning. With no club, we were told we could order whatever we wanted a 'la carte as well as from the buffet. I expected there to be a $22 credit, but our breakfast bills of $90US were completely waived.

Every staff member greeted us by name, and assisted us find great local restaurants and bars. The cocktails in the lounge were exceptional.

Overall a most wonderful stay. Will definitely return, and has earned my complete loyalty to the PH chain. Will change future stays in Australia from GH to Park Hyatt.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by m0hamed
... We arrived on the Acela from NY, SUCH a disappointment having to fight for seats etc despite booking business class...
FWIW, business class on Acela is actually the lowest class of service. Coach is only available on the “regular” trains in the Northeast Corridor. Acela also has a first class with 2-1 seating and meal service, but even here there are no assigned seats.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

m0hamed, I love your report. I know that the first 15 minutes I enter a hotel are the most stressful, generally because of the travel that has preceeded the hotel arrival. That's great that the hotel paid attention to you as you arrived, with exasperation and exhaustion that had nothing to do with them, and completely turned your travel experience around. Bravo
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
I'm at the Park Hyatt Washington now. I was warmly greeted, acknowledged as a frequent guest and lifetime Diamond, and upgraded. This is consistently one of the best hotel experiences I have in the US.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Hyatt Diamond gives you:
As I understand it, #1 is not limited to 2. Pls correct me if i am mistaken. Thanks,
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
As I understand it, #1 is not limited to 2. Pls correct me if i am mistaken. Thanks,
its up to 4, but they all have to be registered in the room
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:32 am

Stayed at the Park Hyatt recently. In the past, I have really enjoyed this hotel. However, it has overall gone downhill since I was last there. Specifically, the service was friendly but extremely mediocre and totally inconsistent. At breakfast one day, it took 3 attempts to get an order right. They forgot to bring dishes at dinner and never even apologized. Housekeeping was unreliable (some days they did second housekeeping service, others they didn't, and others they did it but forgot parts of it). There was a billing error at the end.

Also, they've replaced the room service in-room Gold Passport coffee with a single Nespresso machine in the lobby. Tacky, if you ask me. Either provide the room service coffee or put a Nespresso machine in the room. This is not a Days Inn -- I shouldn't have to go down to the lobby to make myself a glorified instant coffee (yes, I know that Nespresso is not instant).

Overall, I would be hesitant to stay here in the future. The rooms are nice and the F&B is good, but the service was just so atrocious this time. Service seems to have fallen apart since my last stay. Would probably choose the Four Seasons one of the Ritz-Carltons, or the MO over here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.