Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:24 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I'm with OP on this, and the breakfast benefit is one reason I haven't stayed here as much... end up paying more in overage than I would getting breakfast down the street some place, which isn't the point of "included" breakfast.

The $40pp is post tax and tip so you're really only looking at $30ish in pre-tax credit. Coffee is $7, fresh OJ is $10 a glass, and even the basic 2-egg-and-toast breakfast is $22 (as is avocado toast; $34 if you get it with salmon... the egg white/crab scramble is $28, etc.).

So the $40pp here is in some ways "cheaper" than a $15 credit at a Hilton where it covers an $8 breakfast sandwich, a $4 juice, and a $3 coffee or whatever.

$40 pretax would be reasonable and is typically more or less what I spend... but then end up paying $20/day in tax/tip/overage.
Agree. The dollar limit is obnoxious. Then again so is people over ordering just because the food is free.

However, don’t the T&Cs spell out what Globalist breakfast entails - something like hot drink, cold drink, and main dish? Why can’t hotels just leave it at that?

As other have pointed out, PH DC typically waives any overage anyhow.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I'm with OP on this, and the breakfast benefit is one reason I haven't stayed here as much... end up paying more in overage than I would getting breakfast down the street some place, which isn't the point of "included" breakfast.

The $40pp is post tax and tip so you're really only looking at $30ish in pre-tax credit. Coffee is $7, fresh OJ is $10 a glass, and even the basic 2-egg-and-toast breakfast is $22 (as is avocado toast; $34 if you get it with salmon... the egg white/crab scramble is $28, etc.).

So the $40pp here is in some ways "cheaper" than a $15 credit at a Hilton where it covers an $8 breakfast sandwich, a $4 juice, and a $3 coffee or whatever.

$40 pretax would be reasonable and is typically more or less what I spend... but then end up paying $20/day in tax/tip/overage.
I believe the inflated breakfast prices (at some of the hotels) its simply a cut to the Globalist benefit as Hyatt
is now trying to monetize,chip away @elite benefits and get the free breakfast paid for with on the overcharges
Having said that when I stay at the Waldorf a 25 voucher goes further (pre pandemic) as the servers typically
allow me help myself to the stunning continental buffet fruit assorted breads danish smoothies etc and
only apply the dollar amount to the actual entree.I am slightly less likely to stay at a given Hyatt unless now
price and or quality trumps the competing brand to start paying for various parts of the breakfast
Of course with every program it will be hit and miss with these new polices as to good or bad.
As others have speculated perhaps in some of the hotels
its just a reminder to some not to over order for those that are being excessive.
At the end of the day the complimentary breakfast is complimentary or it isn't based on the new WOH pecking order
YMMV.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 24, 2021 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hp12c
Agree. The dollar limit is obnoxious. Then again so is people over ordering just because the food is free.

However, don’t the T&Cs spell out what Globalist breakfast entails - something like hot drink, cold drink, and main dish? Why can’t hotels just leave it at that?

It's also supposed to be for the two people (including Glob "OP") staying in the "OP's" room, unless the second room is booked as Guest of Honor using points. The hotel kindly doubled the breakfast benefit by extending it to the two people in the second room. Hence the "OP" here is collecting a breakfast benefit of $160 per day. I think that's extremely generous.
pWei and skj like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 12:55 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's also supposed to be for the two people (including Glob "OP") staying in the "OP's" room, unless the second room is booked as Guest of Honor using points. The hotel kindly doubled the breakfast benefit by extending it to the two people in the second room. Hence the "OP" here is collecting a breakfast benefit of $160 per day. I think that's extremely generous.
fair point indeed.

there are actual bad actor hotels, and this is not one of them.
skj and cfabar1 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by hp12c

It's YMMV. Half the time, the overage is waived. Half the time it's not... and when I've pushed back, it has either been enforced or reluctantly waived as a courtesy (even went up to the GM one time, who agreed the rules said one dish + coffee + juice... but because it was *possible* to get a cheaper dish or a cheaper concentrate juice or whatever and come in under $40 all-in, there was no problem with the policy... ended up waiving the overage as a courtesy but that kind of quibbling really leaves a bad taste...).

I agree re: over ordering. But it actually takes penny-counting to order a dish, coffee, and juice and come in under the credit here.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
While we're at it, what would the group do on a 2-night stay where early check-in was not needed:
1. book via Hyatt for $297/night, or
2. book via Amex FHR for $349/night (the higher rate is $104++ more, and it costs more even after the $100 credit because the full rate subject to the hotel taxes whereas the $100 credit is, I believe, just a post-tax credit to the folio).

So as of now I'm on the Hyatt rate. But if there's a reason to pay the slight extra for the Amex FHR rate I'd like to hear it.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:11 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
While we're at it, what would the group do on a 2-night stay where early check-in was not needed:
2. book via Amex FHR for $349/night (the higher rate is $104++ more, and it costs more even after the $100 credit because the full rate subject to the hotel taxes whereas the $100 credit is, I believe, just a post-tax credit to the folio).

So as of now I'm on the Hyatt rate. But if there's a reason to pay the slight extra for the Amex FHR rate I'd like to hear it.
There’s no reason to book through FHR. I would never do so if the rate is higher than the BAR. A preferred travel agent can book a room at the same hotel for you with similar perks at the BAR.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:14 am

How does the Prive rate compare? Not sure I'd take the risk of an FHR booking given its issues with crediting points/nights.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:33 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
How does the Prive rate compare? Not sure I'd take the risk of an FHR booking given its issues with crediting points/nights.
FHR is a risk for other programs but not for Hyatt. It will credit as a matter of policy. I have never had it not credit automatically but you can ask a globalist concierge to correct the issue if it ever happens.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:54 am

Booked a Park Executive Suite using points + cash and was upgraded to a Georgetown Suite. Was secretly hoping I'd get the Ambassador Suite but I prefer the 4-person dining table of the Georgetown Suite.
pWei likes this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jul 26, 2021 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
There’s no reason to book through FHR. I would never do so if the rate is higher than the BAR. A preferred travel agent can book a room at the same hotel for you with similar perks at the BAR.
Thanks, just emailed & will see -- I hadn't done so because in my experience the Prive rate is the same as the "Standard Rate" (which is the same as the FHR rate). But we'll see!

Book a Park Executive Suite using points + cash and was upgraded to a Georgetown Suite. Was secretly hoping I'd get the Ambassador Suite but I prefer the 4-person dining table of the Georgetown Suite.
I stayed in the Ambassador suite once a while back and remember the tub being cool.

Some time a year or two ago, I tried to book the Georgetown Suite on a Prive rate and upgrade to the Ambassador, but the property said it wouldn't upgrade above the Georgetown suite. Shrug.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:35 pm

Thanks, just emailed & will see -- I hadn't done so because in my experience the Prive rate is the same as the "Standard Rate" (which is the same as the FHR rate). But we'll see!
Prive deal is the same as FHR ($349/night) but with a "welcome amenity"... pass.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:54 am

Had a fantastic stay at the PH DC. The Georgetown Suite was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. Even the rollaway bed was great! Excellent breakfast at BDT and wonderful rain showers. Would definitely return. Surprised that it's only a Category 5 hotel.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:14 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

… Even the rollaway bed was great!
Surprised to hear this. My experience was that my 5 year old son refused to sleep on the rollaway due to feeling the springs poking his back. Though he was being dramatic, but then felt it myself and found the quality of the mattress to be awful. Must just be luck of the draw. Glad you had a great stay.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Excellent breakfast at BDT ... Would definitely return.
Totally agree. So much of what you read now is severe staff shortages, no service, no this, no that. I had a 3 night stay starting July 4th (BTW the fireworks were absolutely spectacular) and you would be hard pressed to know it was not 2019. An almost flawless stay. Enjoying breakfast at the BDT outside by the fountain and garden was delightful and delicious with quality service too . I am particularly impressed that the room refresh in 2017 was overseen by Tony Chi who was responsible for the full 2006 renovation. So nice to see a thoughtful renovation that retains the comfortable residential luxury of the PH brand.
pWei likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Jul 26, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.