Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also a fairly regular express bus which stops at Rosslyn and Metro center and is much cheaper than the privately run Washington Flyer bus -- as I recall, it's under $5.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I've used AAA limo service for four years, including picking up my wife, my young daughter, etc. Very reliable, reasonable rates: 703-960-8650.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
I've used AAA limo service for four years, including picking up my wife, my young daughter, etc. Very reliable, reasonable rates: 703-960-8650.
How does AAA compare with a cab - in terms of fare - from IAD to Park Hyatt? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
How does AAA compare with a cab - in terms of fare - from IAD to Park Hyatt? Thanks.
My kid takes the car...I get the bill!

It's about 70 bucks.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by InHoc
I had a great stay last week. I was upgraded to a small suite - the bathroom was amazing. My amenity was waiting in the room for me - a 500ml bottle of Steele Cabernet Franc elegantly presented with with Riedel glasses and a Blue Duck Tavern travel bag for the wine.

Since this is one of the few properties that actually lets Diamonds have their complimentary breakfast in-room, I ordered a room service breakfast, and the server politely explained to me that I had a small charge for ordering the American breakfast instead of the Continental....it was all handled without my asking or mentioning that I was a Diamond.

All in all, I was delighted with my stay. No service issues, here.
My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week usind an FFN. My husband is not diamond but he had a platinum certificate. I asked for the upgrade to regency club but there is no regengy club. I asked for the amenity thinking it would be the 1/2 bottle of wine you describe but was told the amenity was lilies and I should save the certificate for some other time. Since the certificate was expiring 3/31 I said I would take the lilies. We arrived at the room and it was an upgraded room. It had a sitting area and a bed area separated by a wall, no door in between. The flat panel TV could be flipped around to face the bed or the living area. The batroom was HUGE: rainshower, bathtub, large sink counter, large closet. There was a vase with lilies in the living are but they were there already when we arrived so I don't think they were the amenity. The bed was great but the noises in the hallway seemed to get amplified instead of muted by the door to the room and did not get a very good night sleep. We ordered in-room breakfast and it was great, came in a huge cart with the oatmeal and sweet rolls inside something that almost looke like an oven to keep them warm, the glasses were crystal, the china was nice. It all seemed very luxurious. All Hyatt personnel was friendly.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Delta PM
Nice upgrade!

I actually stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised with everything that happened. I was there for the entire week on business (arriving Sunday night, departing Friday a.m.) and decided to use some GP points to upgrade to a suite. Upon arrival I was told they had a nice surprise for me and told me I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite (they also said the hotel was full so I guess right place, right time, but I'll be sure to use the suite points next time for this opportunity). Check-in was quick, friendly, and efficient. Arrived at my room and the entryway (9th floor I believe) was marble with a large workdesk off to the side, a grand piano in the middle of the room, and a 1/2 bathroom off to the side and a dining table for 4. The next room contained a tv and a sectional sofa (kind of a cheesy vinyl covering sectional though for being in this type of room), and then the through that was the master bedroom with 4-poster bed and huge bathroom with massive soaking tub and rain shower. To say the least, I was rather impressed (I'm also a mere "platinum").

I did have 1 problem while I was there- I placed some items in the safe and then could not re-open the safe. I use the same code each time so I'm sure something happened with the safe, but it actually took a team of 3 individuals about THREE hours along with heavy-duty drills and other tools before they destroyed the safe and got it open- at least it appears my items were safe!

I dined out at different restaurants so I can only comment on 1 night where I dined at the Blue Duck Tavern at the hotel and it was good, not great, but certainly a place I would return when convenient.

As for breakfasts, I was offered nothing. I usually don't when I stay as I do have only Platinum status, but I figured since I was in the Presidential Suite, why not? No such luck though

Checkout was a little painful as I still had some gift cards left over (from last year's 10 points per dollar GP points) and the clerk (although friendly, had a hard time grasping English) couldn't figure out how to work the gift cards. That's an entirely different thread- does ANY Hyatt know how to process gift cards upon checkout?

Okay, that's it. I think my judgment may be a bit clouded due to having been placed in such a room, but overall my stay was quite pleasant.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
More update

Staying @ PH Washington on FFN award tonight. Only thing mentioned at check-in was that we could get complimentary hot beverage as Gold passport member (as far as I can understand not because of "elite" status within the program). Was assigned room 810 which turned out to be a nice corner room with a separate seating area (probably a junior suite). It's on the street side across from the Fairmont (free wifi access courtesy of Fairmont's club floor available ).

I was never acknowledged as a Diamond member (I never really mind this) and was never told whether the room is an upgraded room. Based on what I can see however, the room looks like an upgraded one.

After dinner I found out that there was still no Diamond amenity in the room. Called the "guest request" number to ask about it and was told that the small vase of flower in the room is the Diamond amenity. Really don't know what else to say so I decided to wait until check-out tomorrow to confirm this (we never plan to drink the wine if it is still the amenity ... was going to give it to someone we are visiting). Will update this post after check-out tomorrow.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

ashaboe, I'll be looking forward to your post, as I am staying in the hotel this week. To recap, you only got the tea or coffee given to any Gold Passport member, got no diamond amenity, and got no breakfast?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:07 am

On our December stay, we received a bottle of red wine and a box of chocolates as amenity. Daily breakfast is free and IIRC, we did not even need to sign a bill after breakfast (unlike PH PV for example, where one needs to sign a check and the F&B amount will be deducted upon check out)

SD1K, get ready for smokier Blaise Mautin!!!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:25 am

[QUOTE=broadwayboy;7507025]On our December stay, we received a bottle of red wine and a box of chocolates as amenity. QUOTE]

Did you get upgraded to a Deluxe Room?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:07 pm

Did you get upgraded to a Deluxe Room?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The deluxe room is MUCH MUCH nicer than a regular room. A regular room has the old bathroom (3 fixture, no separate shower). The deluxe room can even be called a junior suite in some other hotels. It has a shower / tub combination similar to that in PH PV or PH ZRH. The plasma TV swivels nicely from the sitting area to the bedroom. An upgrade from a typical to a deluxe room would be REALLY nice.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 7:27 pm

Thumbs down Bkfst inluded; but the Diamond Amenity is a vase of cheap flowers!

Despite a brunch date later, we decided to have a small breakfast this morning just to test the Diamond breakfast privilege. Went downstairs and had the continental breakfast buffet (actually we only had fruits, yogurt, and coffee). When I asked for the bill I was told that it was included in my "package."

So far so good, but ...

During check-out I asked the front desk staff to confirm whether the info I got last night through the "Guest Request" extension was true (i.e. amenity for Diamond member was a vase of flower in the room). She confirmed that it is. She proceeded to elaborate that in addition to the vase of flowers, it also included complimentary breakfast. I should have asked if this meant that I could bring the vase of flowers home (I wouldn't do it but I am curious to find out).

She did not mention the complimentary hot beverage again and since we never had the hot beverages separately, we could not find out what would happen if we had breakfast (hot beverage included) in the morning and another charge of hot beverages at a different time.

Since we were in a hurry, I left it at that. But an email will go out to Gold Passport tomorrow!

All in all a big ^ for the Junior Suite/Deluxe room; a mix of ^ (staff at the lobby were very polite, corteous, and generally helpful) and for service (almost an hour for request for additional bath gel at approx 9/10PM at night and for one of the server at breakfast explaining to a guest that "prosciutto" is a French word for bacon/meat >> I almost choked on a piece of melon when I overheard this).

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
ashaboe, I'll be looking forward to your post, as I am staying in the hotel this week. To recap, you only got the tea or coffee given to any Gold Passport member, got no diamond amenity, and got no breakfast?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:21 am

Parking?

I'm using my last four FFNs for two rooms this weekend to hopefully see some cherry blossoms with my parents and BF.

Are there any self parking or street parking alternatives to the valet parking? How much is the valet?

The last few years we would stay at the GH, but decided to try the PH again to see the renovations.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
Originally Posted by Tummy
I'm using my last four FFNs for two rooms this weekend to hopefully see some cherry blossoms with my parents and BF.

Are there any self parking or street parking alternatives to the valet parking? How much is the valet?

The last few years we would stay at the GH, but decided to try the PH again to see the renovations.
I work one block away from the PH and can fill you in on street parking...

On weekends, you may be able to find some street parking in the immediate area. On school days they ticket for parking in front Francis Middle School on N Street between 24th and 25th. They also enforcethe 2-hour limit at meters on weekdays.

The West End is a popular spot to park and walk over the bridge into Georgetown, so street parking gets a little tight on weekend evenings. Of course, don't leave valuables in sight in your car if you choose to park on the street.

Plenty of garages nearby along M Street, and I think a very close one to the PH a block east on 23rd between M and N. Actually there's also one on 24th between L and M that's closer, but not sure if it's just for the apartment building above it or if it's public. Google these parking companies and you should find some choices: Colonial, PMI.

-Paul
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:02 am

I arrived last Saturday around noon and found unrestricted (weekend) street parking on L street (1 block from PH) after driving around the blocks for about 5 minutes. The car stayed there until we left yesterday afternoon. Even though the hotel Concierge said that it is too far, we decided to walk down 23rd Street, around the Lincoln Memorial, along the Potomac to the Tidal Basin area. Being from the NYC area we didn't find the walk too long ... you could do it in less than 30 minutes. The walk back is slightly more strenuous as you will be going uphills (only slightly).

Originally Posted by Tummy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.