Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We stayed here last night - and comments echo the above - was in room 1017 (I guess a Park Deluxe - smaller suite - been in similar rooms a couple of times prior to the renovation). Nicely done but I find the Shaker pieces in an "ultra-modern" setting rather disconcerting. Also, the "living room" area had 3 individual chairs but no sofa (rather odd).

The doorman situation seems to have been sorted out since they were extremely helpful each time we went in/out.

The Diamond breakfast situation still is a confused mess. I asked at check-in and was told that Continental Room Service was complimentary since this was a stay on points - huh? I asked about having breakfast in the restaurant instead (since we aren't really big on room service) and was told that was fine but no mention of specific amount of credit. So this morning, we did eat breakfast in the lounge area and "spent" a total of $55 (including tax & tip) while the Continental option was $19 (w/o tax & tip). Upon checkout, the desk clerk said I had a $55 balance so I said that that needed to be adjusted since I'm a Diamond. She ended up taking the entire balance off but said that was due to an award stay on points - again huh??? They really should sort out this breakfast situation.

Will I return to the hotel - definitely yes - although probably not at the $350+ rates but certainly on points / FFNs / when rates can be lower (say $250ish).
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Hyatt Diamond
No diamond amenities at the Park Hyatt Washington?

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Washington for a FFN stay over the last weekend. When I asked what kinds of Diamond amenities PH Washington offer, the lady at the front desk told me PH Washington do not offer any amenities for diamond members. Is this true? Anyways, I stayed at PH Zurich and former PH SF before and was convinced that both properties are far superior than PH Washington.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 3:48 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The normal Diamond amenity at the PH DC is a 1/2 bottle of wine - which they also provide a bag from the restaurant so you can take it with you if you wish.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:46 pm

How was the stay at PH Washington?

Hi Blue0131,

I wonder if you can please elaborate on how the stay at PH Washington was, aside from Diamond amenity. For instance, were you upgraded to a better room or junior suite? How were the rooms? What about the bathrooms.

Many thansk.

Incy.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Park Hyatt Washington DC -- room was good, service needs work

This is my first stay at this hotel, which reopened a few months ago after an extensive remodeling. I should emphasize that my stay here is only for one night and hence may not be representative.

They were kind enough to upgrade me to a very large suite. The diamond amenity, as peteropny has reported, was a half bottle of red wine. The desk staff told me that diamond breakfast was continental, served in the dining room, but I did not try it.

Before arriving, I saw a copy of a travel magazine which reviewed this hotel and criticized the "spare, Shaker-like" furnishings. I think they are just fine, and even somewhat reminiscient of the Park Hyatt Seoul, right down to having a large shower/bath room with a rainforest shower.

The minibar is of the "sensor" variety, with two tiny spaces reserved for guest beverages. It was locked when I entered the room and required a call to the desk for central unlocking.

The hotel provided some free Voss water which wouldn't fit in the guest beverage spaces.

The front desk staff was willing but not very able. There are three desks, each with a huge Sony Vaio laptop for the staff, but it's not enough. People generally shouldn't have to wait to check in at a Park Hyatt. Here they often do.

My check-in clerk had a fine French accent that masked her poor English comprehension. Later on, when I asked her to print out the boarding pass for my next day's flight, it was like a comedy of errors. She also forgot to ask my newspaper preference.

Turn down service fills the huge ice buckets with a smattering of ice cubes that look lost in the bottom of the bucket and soon melt. This is apparently a policy. If you need more ice (and you will), you have to call for it.

Overall this hotel has the potential to be an excellent hotel but staff needs shaking down. There is Park Hyatt potential for excellence here which I hope is someday realized.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:25 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...clerk had a fine French accent that masked her poor English comprehension. Later on, when I asked her to print out the boarding pass for my next day's flight, it was like a comedy of errors...
LOL...let me guess....her name was Camille.....

If true, this was the clerk who replied "I don't know what to say to you..." after I complained about the unacceptable wait of 45 minutes to get my car valet parked the night before.....(during the night, when there were no other guests at all, and it took them 30 minutes to get a doorman in sight...the rest 15 minutes were discussions on how to take care of the valet car.....all this time the car engine was running....thank goodness it was a rental).

The same clerk did not waive my breakfast charge on check out (i had to call the hotel accounting department to get the charges removed), or honor a late check out request, even though as a Diamond the latter should be granted without question.

But, what can I expect? The lack of service and incompetence clearly came from the top. When the GM could not even CORRECTLY ADDRESS A GUEST'S NAME in a response to the guest's complaint (which had the complaining guest's name), I don't expect much attention in service at this hotel. I have since stayed at the Fairmont across the street and have had no issues or stress in the service received.

As Richard said, this hotel has the POTENTIAL (and the facilities to support) to be a true Park Hyatt.....sadly, Hyatt appointed the wrong GM to head the hotel....

When you have incompetence in a team, the incompetence usually stems from the top... I hope to return to this property one day when it is put in shape by a competent GM...
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkc22
LOL...let me guess....her name was Camille.....
I didn't take her name, so maybe yes, maybe no!

I don't have enough of a stay here to conclude that the problem stems from the GM, but as a general rule, what jkc22 says is usually true.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Has anyone tired/seen the pool? I will be going with my kids so they always look forward to this part of the hotel stay. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:18 am

Late check-out is NOT a Diamond ENTITLEMENT

Originally Posted by jkc22

The same clerk did not ..., honor a late check out request, even though as a Diamond the latter should be granted without question.

Late check-out is NOT a Diamond ENTITLEMENT
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
llalala

I am sure that there is something that I do not understand and I would be grateful if you could help me understand why the Federal Govenment would be willing to re-imburse $369 for a federal employee to stay at the Park Hyatt. Even the private sector would baulk at this.

For some reason I thought that Government rates were circa $65-95
The current federal govt. lodging rate in D.C. is $188 (12/1/06 - 5/31/07). Then it will go to $162 from 6/1/07 8/31/07. It has indeed gone up quite a bit the last three years or so.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:18 pm

I was here in Feb; agree the service is hit or miss. In the middle of registration, the check-in clerk excused herself while she took a telephone call
The chair at the desk is very uncomfortable. A bad note: I'm already seeing peeling wall paper. Yikes, guess they were in a hurry.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

What is the best way to come to the hotel from IAD on a Sunday night?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the best way to come to the hotel from IAD on a Sunday night?
It sort of depends on (a) what time on Sunday night; (b) how much you are willing to pay: (c) hown many in the party; and (d) luggage.

A taxi (called the Washington Flyer will cost you about $60 depending upon (c) and (d) above and your generosity.

The Super Shuttle will cost you $25 + tip for one and a little less for the second passenger for door to door transport.

On the cheaper and much more inconvenient side, you can catch a Bus (also called the Washington Flyer) to Fall Church Metro and then catch a metro to Foggs Bottom station. It is then about three block to walk to the PH.

Personally, I would book the Super Shuttle.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Super Shuttle sounds very sensible. Do I need to book it in advance, or can I just do so on arrival in IAD?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:54 pm

I usually book in advance - but that's me.

Have a look at the following:

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/dca.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.