FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Washington D.C. REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/570546-park-hyatt-washington-d-c-review-master-thread.html)

skunker Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Has anyone had problems with stays at this hotel not posting? My CC hasn't even been charged and I checked 11 days ago.

The same thing happened at the PH Sydney, the stay never posted and they took forever to charge me.

ACfly Apr 25, 2010 6:07 am

Was there last week using my FFN, and was upgraded to the Suite - which was fantastic. Internet (wired or wireless) was a problem though.

As a Diamond, was given the Diamond menu as mentioned above. However, I ordered from the regular menu, and was never charged.

Great hotel and location.

ADAMESQ May 1, 2010 10:34 am

It is a bit of a walk from the Metro, but location is still pretty great.

darrenhe May 1, 2010 3:05 pm

This is a great property, one of my favorites.

In response to a few questions/comments above:

There are no Park Suites with double bed - there's not too many of these rooms. These rooms are extremely large. For solo travelers, it's almost too big. 1.5 Bathrooms, a 15 foot long(?) couch, dining table, etc.

What they call the Premier Deluxe King Room :rolleyes: is, as others have mentioned, really a junior suite. It's probably larger than "real suites" at other properties.

The hotel routinely upgrades guests to the Premier Deluxe King room if it is their first stay ever at the property, even if they have no status. The exception, of course, is if they are out of rooms. The AmEx upgrade benefit is probably unnecessary. This hotel, like most others, rewards frequent guests of the hotel before frequent guests of the chain. I wouldn't be surprised if a Platinum that frequently stays at the Park Washington got a better room than a Diamond that never stayed at the hotel before. This makes sense...building loyalty to a specific hotel (and for all you know, that Diamond status may have been achieved at Hyatt Places).

y2k1jetta May 25, 2010 2:19 pm

getting excited...

I am checking in here next week, June, through the first week of September with the govt rate and I am a Diamond member so I hope all goes well. I will be using the car every morning, hopefully.

Anything I should look out for? Can I use the bicycles for longer than four hours?

10 weeks of 4 night stays and moving from Marriott Ren Dupont Circle should be fun at this 'talked' about property. After 21 weeks of 4 night stays at Ren Dupont Circle to get my MR Plat back, it's back to Hyatt for the rest of the year.

Will post followups as needed, thanks.

peachy3 Jun 12, 2010 9:57 am

Hey all,

I'm flying into DCA from New York and two of us would like to get to Park Hyatt. We'll have some heavy luggage that could feasibly be rolled along. What would you recommend is the best way of getting there?

If we take the metro there seems to be about a 1km walk from foggy bottom to the Park Hyatt

Super shuttle has many bad reviews, but it's $25 + tips (are tips needed)

Advice?

Thanks!

RichardInSF Jun 12, 2010 10:08 am

It is about 1km level walk (maybe a little less) from Foggy Bottom metro station. Maybe because that station is right next to GWU hospital, I have sometimes seen a cab or two there. I have taken that walk several times with two bags, but the largest was a 22" rollaboard.

I bet for less than $50, the price of two people on Supershuttle, you could take a cab all the way from DCA. It isn't really that far in distance.

peteropny Jun 12, 2010 11:50 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 14121128)
It is about 1km level walk (maybe a little less) from Foggy Bottom metro station. Maybe because that station is right next to GWU hospital, I have sometimes seen a cab or two there. I have taken that walk several times with two bags, but the largest was a 22" rollaboard.

Walk isn't that bad but as you know Washington streets with their circles tend to be a bit more time consuming than "regular" blocks. We've done the walk a few times with a rollaboard & tote bag each.

It's certainly doable but cab from DCA is $20-25 (we've usually done that lately). With 2 of you, I wouldn't bother using the Supershuttle (could be good if only 1 person but with 2 cost is the same with cab).

GUWonder Jun 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 14121128)

I bet for less than $50, the price of two people on Supershuttle, you could take a cab all the way from DCA. It isn't really that far in distance.

It is indeed about a 1km walk and flat at that from Foggy Bottom metro stop.

I'm almost always able to get a cab by the Foggy Bottom metro stop or along Washington Circle (the huge roundabout of sorts at the corner of GWU hospital) because of the university population and the circle being a main thru-way for traffic from/via Georgetown to more central parts of DC.

About cabs from DCA: for two passengers with 2 baggage items, it would be under $30 for the trip via taxi to the hotel.

I'd suggest skipping Super Shuttle under all circumstances at DCA.

RichardInSF Jun 13, 2010 12:29 am

I've always seen lots of cabs around Washington Circle (except in bad weather of course!), but by the time I've walked that one block from the metro station and also across the circle to 24th, I've always felt I was so close to the hotel that it would be silly to get a cab.

Google maps thinks it's 4/10 of a mile total btw, which is about 2/3 of a km.

honey4life12 Jul 7, 2010 10:39 am

We had a great weekend stay last month during our first visit hereParking: We reviewed this thread for parking tips. Parking took a little while to find on Friday night. Arrived late - after 11 pm via BWI with a car rental and drove around 30 minutes before giving up on street parking and going with a parking garage off 21st and M street that was $20 for a 24 hr period. Some of the other parking garages mentioned in earlier posts are either closed on the weekends or were closed during our arrival time. Before going out to dinner Sat night, we retrieved our car around 5-6 pm and had no trouble at all finding a spot right down from the hotel (I think 24th street and L) that was free for the evening.

Check-in: The welcome was friendly enough even though my spouse had on a foot cast, none of the bellmen offered to help with the bags (no other guests checking in at the same time) and one of the check-in agents came out to do so and then retrieved one of the bellmen. Our agent did not seem to have a grasp on Diamond amenities, NBT nights, etc. I requested for a welcome amenity of apple pie to be delivered Saturday night since it was so late.

Room: We did get one of the Deluxe rooms ending in x17 and it was similar to the quasi-suites described by other posts. The three windows were nice as was the separate sitting area. We both liked the bathroom setup and the comfy bed.

Breakfast: On both mornings, they tried to give us a Diamond breakfast menu, but a quick ask for a regular menu allowed us to order off the menu. We were advised a $28 credit per person. The first morning we didn't come close. The second morning we went over by $10-$20 but the check-out agent erased both charges.

Blue Duck: We were just slightly late for the Sunday brunch that we had wanted to try on Sunday so ate a quick snack before our flight instead (same place as breakfast area). Service was exceedingly slow all three meals but everyone was friendly enough.

Misc: The Voss water was refilled for us each day, and more on Saturday was delivered upon a telephone call. The service was friendly if lapsing at times. Besides from the diamond amenity which took 3 follow-up calls, a request for a sheet seemed to have been forgotten for 3 hours and required an additional call. But they also comped our taxi bill on Saturday morning because I had called the week before and reserved the car for Saturday and then informed that the driver/car service didn't run on the weekends and it was their mistake for making the reservation. So it seemed to be a hit-or-miss with service.

y2k1jetta Jul 8, 2010 9:26 am

great hotel

Just finished my fifth week here and it's a great hotel.

The free BMW 750 Li car service to the office is a nice perk. The bike rentals are great and the overall front desk appearance/cleanliness is second to none.

The door men are great and friendly. All rooms are basically suites and love the spacious showers. I do 250 nights a year and I can state, the beds are the most comfortable beds I have slept in on the road, period.

I am now a regular there and they treat me well. First name basis with all staff, just about, nice personal touch IMO.

I have three more months there and I am so looking forward to it.

lalala Jul 8, 2010 11:04 am

I am amazed at the consistently amazing service at this hotel and the ability to secure a gov't rate.

My TH's boss has been detailed to DC for four months, she recommended the PH over the JW Marriott because she loves the service she has gotten at the PH. While the Marriott is a great location for those working at DOC headquarters, the PH neighborhood is much nicer. My dream is that she does a ten week detail in DC and I can come visit on the weekends.

I agree on the car service, I love Z and I love getting a ride in such a lovely vehicle.

y2k1jetta Jul 10, 2010 7:12 am

Extended

I too secure the gov't rate, so cheap it's a crime IMO.
Now going to be there through December this year. YES!

The 'hood around the PH is way better than the JW. I stayed at the JW for 2 months earlier in the year and enjoyed the hotel but loving the PH even more.

They are a little slow to post to GP.com.

pmcary Jul 14, 2010 3:16 pm

First time stay for our family over this past weekend (outstanding use of FFN's). Not only do I absolutely agree about how wonderful the beds are, how great the neighborhood is (I forget how many times we walked over the bridge to G'town), how wonderful the front desk and doormen are in terms of service/remembering your name/not being too "formal", but the front desk upgraded us when they saw we were a family so we'd have more room... great unexpected treat, esp. since we were on an FFN stay.

Only one little complaint... the layout of the bathroom was a little awkward for us... when someone needed to use the toilet, the rest of the huge bathroom (including the open shower) was inaccessible to the rest of us since there is no door/privacy for the WC.