Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Was the PH full? Or do you just prefer the Andaz?

I'm using my 1-7 night at the PHNY. Seemed like the best value in terms of room rate, although of course rate doesn't necessarily correlate with quality.
It's up to you ...

We were thinking about trying PHNY having never stayed there either, but after reading through the thread on the PHNY we decided the Andaz 5th was the better choice for us. Plus it's an easy walk from there to GHNY so it was easy to move over on Friday.

You are right, the room rates at PHNY are much higher, so you would be getting better value out of your cat 1 - 7 by staying there, but it doesn't seem to get great reviews in the thread.

-David
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I think the PHNY and Andaz 5th both suffer from the same value engineering. There's no restaurant worth mentioning in either (which is pathetic) and overall it feels like the staff has checked out entirely. Too bad, they could be fantastic properties.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:35 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I thought the breakfast at the PHNY was wonderful. Truly high-end great food. The problem was the cost of everything on the menu vs. the credit amount provided (which could barely get you one dish, forget about coffee)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
I thought the breakfast at the PHNY was wonderful. Truly high-end great food. The problem was the cost of everything on the menu vs. the credit amount provided (which could barely get you one dish, forget about coffee)
Thats crazy hyperbole. The credit they give you is ample for ONE entree, one hot beverage and one cold beverage.... exactly the terms of WOH.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mmgm
I actually think the food in the Club has improved. However the pictures above are old- they have not had sushi in months. Nor the water bottles. Definitely not from this year.
They are all from Jan of this year. Sushi is served on Weds. And if you are not there by 6, they run out. Then they bring out the chicken/beef. I like the beef as is very tender. I would say the food is best at any Hyatt lounge on the East coast. I still think the SFO property is best in US base on my travels... I will be visiting in July and will post those picture in that thread.

Andaz 5th slipped in my book as they tried to up sell me the last time I stayed. And with the closing of the restaurant, is not worth the cost to stay there imho.
HP midtown is bottom on my manhattan list of Hyatts - is a tourist hotel and breakfast there is a zoo. And the elevator is soooo slow (only other worst elevator is the Marriott Marquee in TS).
Hyatt centric TS is nice and have the dry-bar hair drier (not sure if is still a feature at the hotel). Breakfast is very good.
PHNY - hard product excellent. Pool excellent. location excellent. Breakfast ... can't say as I've not stayed there since they first opened.
Andaz WS - lots of wear and tear... thin windows (Sanitation dept pick up garbage in the dead of night). Breakfast nothing to write home about - used to be best at Wall & Water.
Hyatt House - is a HH with one of the best views if you can get high floors facing south. Avoid lower floors as the shower water is not hot during the morning.
Hyatt Union Sq - stayed once and was not impressed. Has a bohemian feel design ... not impressed with the breakfast.
Hyatt Harold Sq - good location but is like living in a dorm. Ikea furnishing. Breakfast used to be good but no longer. But you can get as much as you want as there does not appear to be a limit.
Hyatt LIC - one of the best HP (if there is a thing as best HP) I've stayed in. Always clean and FD very friendly.
Hyatt Flushing.- good loc if you like Asian food. But inside is a bit humid for some reason. They used to give me 1K pts as a bonus when staying there.
GHNY... I said enough

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
They are all from Jan of this year. Sushi is served on Weds. And if you are not there by 6, they run out. Then they bring out the chicken/beef. I like the beef as is very tender. I would say the food is best at any Hyatt lounge on the East coast. I still think the SFO property is best in US base on my travels... I will be visiting in July and will post those picture in that thread.

Andaz 5th slipped in my book as they tried to up sell me the last time I stayed. And with the closing of the restaurant, is not worth the cost to stay there imho.
HP midtown is bottom on my manhattan list of Hyatts - is a tourist hotel and breakfast there is a zoo. And the elevator is soooo slow (only other worst elevator is the Marriott Marquee in TS).
Hyatt centric TS is nice and have the dry-bar hair drier (not sure if is still a feature at the hotel). Breakfast is very good.
PHNY - hard product excellent. Pool excellent. location excellent. Breakfast ... can't say as I've not stayed there since they first opened.
Andaz WS - lots of wear and tear... thin windows (Sanitation dept pick up garbage in the dead of night). Breakfast nothing to write home about - used to be best at Wall & Water.
Hyatt House - is a HH with one of the best views if you can get high floors facing south. Avoid lower floors as the shower water is not hot during the morning.
Hyatt Union Sq - stayed once and was not impressed. Has a bohemian feel design ... not impressed with the breakfast.
Hyatt Harold Sq - good location but is like living in a dorm. Ikea furnishing. Breakfast used to be good but no longer. But you can get as much as you want as there does not appear to be a limit.
Hyatt LIC - one of the best HP (if there is a thing as best HP) I've stayed in. Always clean and FD very friendly.
Hyatt Flushing.- good loc if you like Asian food. But inside is a bit humid for some reason. They used to give me 1K pts as a bonus when staying there.
GHNY... I said enough
I don't think you're being fair to the Andaz 5th. The restaurant closing was obviously a loss, but the breakfast offering is still stellar. The fact that you can order with no limit at the bar downstairs breakfast or in-room dining is insane, and the food is quite good quality.

I've always gotten great upgrades. The front-desk always offers me wine at check-in, and there's the all guest happy hour. The bar is good with great tapas offerings. Even the base level rooms are beautiful and roomy, with super high ceilings. The location is perfect.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Was the PH full? Or do you just prefer the Andaz?

I'm using my 1-7 night at the PHNY. Seemed like the best value in terms of room rate, although of course rate doesn't necessarily correlate with quality.
I think you are making the right call, in terms of using the certificate. I'm never too good about searching on Flyertalk, but if you scroll up in this thread to sometime around Jan 2018 you'll see my post about our stay there using certificate ... really treated well as Globalist (upgrade, drink, food).

This (use of certificate) strikes me as a different issue from the value-for-money arguments on paid stays. Then I absolutely love Andaz Wall Street ... at the price!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I don't think you're being fair to the Andaz 5th. The restaurant closing was obviously a loss, but the breakfast offering is still stellar. The fact that you can order with no limit at the bar downstairs breakfast or in-room dining is insane, and the food is quite good quality.
They did away with their 1 entree, 1 coffee or 1 juice policy?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
They did away with their 1 entree, 1 coffee or 1 juice policy?
I've stayed there probably 45+ nights, and have never been told of a 1/1/1 policy. I've ordered beyond that (usually adding sides like bacon + avocado, smoothies, and or a sweet entre) and never been charged for it. Bills going up to $160 for 2 person comped with no issues.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:23 pm

I've stayed there probably 45+ nights, and have never been told of a 1/1/1 policy. I've ordered beyond that (usually adding sides like bacon + avocado, smoothies, and or a sweet entre) and never been charged for it. Bills going up to $160 for 2 person comped with no issues.
Same for me. It really seems like the complainers are ones that are demanding/expecting more than what WOH Terms specify (which is 1-1-1 in absence of a lounge). I expect them to adhere to the terms. Period. Full stop. It's wonderful that Hyatt does try to exceed expectations, but it should never be expected or entitled to....

Not saying they never try to go "beneath" the terms, but this is exceedingly rare (and anytime they have ever tried to w/me it's corrected immediately and usually related to a simple training issue or misunderstanding).
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
So one moment you say there was a credit amount (I assume someone told you) for breakfast at PHNY and the next breath you say you've never been told about a policy. Now which Helvetic should we believe? Are your comments made up as you go just like your complaints about the thinness of the GHNY's toilet paper?

Lets be honest, your credibility is on very shaky grounds and those contributor badges next to your handle means very little IMHO.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 30, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
So one moment you say there was a credit amount (I assume someone told you) for breakfast at PHNY and the next breath you say you've never been told about a policy. Now which Helvetic should we believe? Are your comments made up as you go just like your complaints about the thinness of the GHNY's toilet paper?

Lets be honest, your credibility is on very shaky grounds and those contributor badges next to your handle means very little IMHO.
🙄maybe try reading a little more carefully before getting on your high horse and spewing a bunch of its #2 .

The PHNY's breakfast was good but pricey and limited. The Andaz 5th is good and unlimited. Are we done?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:59 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The Andaz 5th is good and unlimited.
Not in my experience ... During a stay at the Andaz 5th last fall, I was told the breakfast was 1 entree and 1 beverage. That's all I ordered so I don't know how any excess would have been handled.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by skj
Not in my experience ... During a stay at the Andaz 5th last fall, I was told the breakfast was 1 entree and 1 beverage. That's all I ordered so I don't know how any excess would have been handled.

We were told the same thing, 1/1/1 per person about a week ago. We ordered that plus I wanted a NY bagel, so I ordered that as well, there was a $24+ charge on the room which they removed when I called them before checking out via the app. (When I called, they said it was already credited back.)

-David
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
We were told the same thing, 1/1/1 per person about a week ago. We ordered that plus I wanted a NY bagel, so I ordered that as well, there was a $24+ charge on the room which they removed when I called them before checking out via the app. (When I called, they said it was already credited back.)

-David
$24 for a NY bagel !!!! I wouldn't have taken a chance that the charge would have been removed. Too many people on reimbursed company expense accounts that squander their employer's money ! (Not pointing a finger at you David, not knowing what your situation is). But as a shareholder in many companies, I resent at what employees feel the shareholders should foot the bill for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.