Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Cannot compare US GH /HR to anything outside North American... I wouldn't even compare HP or HH
The NYC GH is really the bottom of the barrel, even by US standards.

Oh and as far as the lounge, I've given up on trying to get breakfast here. The last few times were unmitigated disaster, with hordes of people, screaming children, lousy food, and in summertime overrun by pigeons on the outdoor patio.

The bottles of water in the lounge have to be explicitly requested. Otherwise, it comes from a self-serve tap.
caliform likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helvetic

Oh and as far as the lounge, I've given up on trying to get breakfast here. The last few times were unmitigated disaster, with hordes of people, screaming children, lousy food, and in summertime overrun by pigeons on the outdoor patio.

The bottles of water in the lounge have to be explicitly requested. Otherwise, it comes from a self-serve tap.
GHNY is strange.

On one hand they checked me in at 7am with no question, meaning that I got breakfast for a night that I didn't pay for, and managed to get a post-red-eye nap that I really needed. This is certainly not a requirement. On the other hand, the breakfast was so bad that the next day (the one for the night I did pay for) I went to a diner that was a block or two away instead (which was great!)

On the other hand you have to stand in line at a store to get the water (whether or not you want to drink it is irrelevant -- it's a guaranteed benefit) and they charge you for storing bags at the bell desk (which I've never seen at any other hotel anywhere in the world). The real issue with the property is that they don't provide the service that they should. Again, I have no problem with this at a HP, but this is supposed to be a full service hotel. The service is part of the price, and they are not including it. If you don't want the service you can stay at an AirB&B for a lot less money.
helvetic likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver

I have no idea when you lasted visited but water is ALWAYS in the frig plus fruit juices - it was not when they first move the lounge to 16 from 31. And they did away with bottles of soda this past year
YOU still have not provide examples of Hyatts in USA that have open bar. . At lease you admitted non for Sheraton. Your complains are more transparent than the toilet paper you complain about.

But let me just give u a few examples of Hyatt lounges with lousy food:
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Evening GHNY lounge offerings... Can you find the picture with water?

Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I have no idea when you lasted visited but water is ALWAYS in the frig plus fruit juices - it was not when they first move the lounge to 16 from 31. And they did away with bottles of soda this past year
YOU still have not provide examples of Hyatts in USA that have open bar. . At lease you admitted non for Sheraton. Your complains are more transparent than the toilet paper you complain about.

But let me just give u a few examples of Hyatt lounges with lousy food:
Hyatt Regency Greenwich
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick
Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina
Was there today. No water in the fridges, just a bunch of juice bottles. I got my water eventually but it came form the back.

I am not sure why you're defending this hotel so vigorously, despite the fact that pretty much everyone agrees it's terrible.

I haven't stayed at any of the HRs you mentioned. I did spend a night in New Brunswick once, and hopefully never will have to again.

Regardless, telling me about how sucky any other Hyatts are isn't going to convince me this one is any better than it is.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:35 am

I am defending it because of ppl like you who complains about no in room bottles of water and toilet paper as a reason the hotel is at the bottom of the barrel.
Yes there are issues but over all is a decent GH (for US) compare to other NYC properties in this category.
If you are this adverse to it check out and go else where. There is a Westin down the street where they nickel and dime you for your breakfast. Or up Lex for many other options..
But is obvious you come back again and again despite its flaws. And this is the only proof we need to know that u don't really mean what you say....
Hope you enjoyed the evening offerings this week....see you at breakfast...

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 29, 2019 at 6:57 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:40 am

The lounge is decent, we should be honest. The gym is the attraction for me, one of the best in the Hyatt in NYC probably the best one. Rooms, bathrooms everything else are not good and have seen much better days.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The spread from that photo looks way better than the spread I had last week at GH Istanbul. I can't speak to the overcrowding in NYC but the difference is no open bar.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:41 am

I am defending it because of ppl like you who complains about no in room bottles of water and toilet paper as a reason the hotel is at the bottom of the barrel.
Yes there are issues but over all is a decent GH (for US) compare to other NYC properties in this category.
If you are this adverse to it check out and go else where. There is a Westin down the street where they nickel and dime you for your breakfast. Or up Lex for many other options..
But is obvious you come back again and again despite its flaws. And this is the only proof we need to know that u don't really mean what you say....
Hope you enjoyed the evening offerings this week....see you at breakfast...
I absolutely mean what I say. I despise this hotel and only stay here on the rare occasion when the rate is significantly better than everything else. The other day, it was $149 to everything else's $200+ (including Fairfield Inns etc), so it got my booking. As soon as I saw rates drop lower, I checked out early and moved myself to a Four Points.

The location of the GH is convenient too, connected directly indoors to my office via Grand Central. So, it gets the occasional booking.

Pretty much every other Hyatt property in NYC is better than this GH. Just about the only other that I didn't love is the Hyatt Herald Square. And the HP. The PH, the Centric, the Hyatt Union Square, the Andazes, the House are all far far better than this miserable GH.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I absolutely mean what I say. I despise this hotel and only stay here on the rare occasion when the rate is significantly better than everything else. The other day, it was $149 to everything else's $200+ (including Fairfield Inns etc), so it got my booking. As soon as I saw rates drop lower, I checked out early and moved myself to a Four Points.

The location of the GH is convenient too, connected directly indoors to my office via Grand Central. So, it gets the occasional booking.

Pretty much every other Hyatt property in NYC is better than this GH. Just about the only other that I didn't love is the Hyatt Herald Square. And the HP. The PH, the Centric, the Hyatt Union Square, the Andazes, the House are all far far better than this miserable GH.
At least Herald Square gives a full breakfast!
helvetic likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I actually think the food in the Club has improved. However the pictures above are old- they have not had sushi in months. Nor the water bottles. Definitely not from this year.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the Andaz Wall St is far worse than this property.

I haven't stayed at the Andaz 5th Av.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:52 pm

No water bottles in the display case and it appears they eliminated the 2nd hot dish in the afternoon/evenings.

Hotel was at capacity last weekend. They have problems when the hotel is at capacity, for example, we only got one hand towel in the bathroom the first night. (plus the 3 bath towels and 2 washcloths.) Elevators were all working, fortunately.

$15 food etc credits were not applied automatically. I had to call. They also had an erroneous beverage charge on this bill, had that credited back as well.

For Globalists, if you know what room type and location to ask for, the experience here is not all that terrible given the price, provided you lower your expectations compared to other GHs in the system. I'll miss it because of the price point at a great location when it closes down for the rebuild.

They did solve a lot of the morning overcrowding in the club by having an attendant at the door checking room numbers and number of people. They did that a while ago.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I haven't stayed at the Andaz 5th Av.
Used our cat 1 - 7 promo night there on this stay .. it was great. Nice room service breakfast, great staff, got a suite as well.

-David
Biggie Fries likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 29, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 4:57 pm

Andaz 5th ave is great. Andaz wall street is nothing special, but certainly better than this horrid GH.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Used our cat 1 - 7 promo night there on this stay .. it was great. Nice room service breakfast, great staff, got a suite as well.
Was the PH full? Or do you just prefer the Andaz?

I'm using my 1-7 night at the PHNY. Seemed like the best value in terms of room rate, although of course rate doesn't necessarily correlate with quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.