Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by Markie
My stays, over the years, have been no better than average. BUT, for the longest time when it was the only Hyatt in Manhattan, it did well. The old days when the lounge was superb are long gone, but now it is full of families whose kids poach the food as soon as it is put out. Is that my only complaint, pretty much!

The Andaz is just too expensive, my rate at the GH was $197. Hard to beat.
Wow, I wish I had that. Mine is 305 USD.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:39 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Markie
My stays, over the years, have been no better than average. BUT, for the longest time when it was the only Hyatt in Manhattan, it did well. The old days when the lounge was superb are long gone, but now it is full of families whose kids poach the food as soon as it is put out. Is that my only complaint, pretty much!

The Andaz is just too expensive, my rate at the GH was $197. Hard to beat.
If that's your only complaint your doing great
At 197.00 per night that makes it less then the cost of using 22,000 points for many folks
Its pretty rare to find that low a rate except in the shoulder season but it can happen and likely to be non refundable if found
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
If that's your only complaint your doing great
At 197.00 per night that makes it less then the cost of using 22,000 points for many folks
Its pretty rare to find that low a rate except in the shoulder season but it can happen and likely to be non refundable if found
To be fair, this isn't a discussion of the Andaz 5th Aven, but there are other reasons I prefer the GH!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
First I have heard of an extra charge for mailroom pickup. I have previously encountered an additional charge if you had the items sent up to your room. My guess is that business center services (which includes the guest mailroom) are subcontracted out to an independent operator and that is how that entity gets revenue

I believe this hotel has also pioneered an extra charge when a guest leaves a bag with the bellman for a few hours after checkout, although there are rumors this is waived for elites who complain.

This is NYC so all these charges are in addition to an expected generous tip.

I had forgotten about this nickel-and-diming, another reason not to stay here.
100% agreement here. Both of these charges are unacceptable.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:15 pm

I just checked in today in my Junior Suite.
I like the location of the hotel and the fact that I could get twin beds in the Junior Suite.
I don't understand the fact that I don't get Club access in a Junior Suite that is however more expensive than club rooms (My Diamond status expired and I'm back to Plat. Should make it back to Diamond next year).

I don't like the sanitized aspect of the lobby and the insane crowd down there, the fact that the concierge can't even post some postcards (because he doesn't have stamps ?!). The bellboy looks at you to assess you're going to give him for his service and I hate that but it's NY after all. The staff at the Andaz 5th was much nicer.
The A/C is pretty noisy and only once A/C for a Junior Suite is ridiculous (which makes the hallway and mini-living room much warmer).

I would have preferred the Andaz but well, let's see how it goes tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

3 USD per luggage that they keep for you in the storage room for 3 hours, really ??

Where are we here? A Hyatt place or a Hyatt Regency?

They will definitely never see me again, ever. That hotel is scandalous, there's a fee for everything.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
3 USD per luggage that they keep for you in the storage room for 3 hours, really ??

Where are we here? A Hyatt place or a Hyatt Regency?

They will definitely never see me again, ever. That hotel is scandalous, there's a fee for everything.
Wow that's some serious inflation. It was just $2 when I stayed in May.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Imagine that, charging a fee for a service they provide :-).
I would rather they charge for the service when you use it than charging everybody a bit more, even when you don't use the additional services.

It's NY....common practice in tourist hotels, which this is.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I would rather they charge for the service when you use it than charging everybody a bit more, even when you don't use the additional services.

^ Right on, RTW1. ^

I feel the same way about the airlines. But that's a topic for another rant.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it's not, I've stayed in a whole bunch of NYC hotels and never run into these charges anywhere else.

I take it then that you would be OK being charged for each towel used as well.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When in NY I mostly stay in tourist hotels (I don't see the value in a decent/upscale hotel because I'm hardly ever there) and storing your bags for a fee is standard practice.

Just recognise that the GH NY is a convention/tourist hotel in a not too bad location and set your expectations accordingly and you probably won't be disappointed....

It's a $200-250 a night hotel in NY, don't go expecting the PH Tokyo treatment...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:08 pm

First there's a fundamental difference: virtually all guests use towels. But, for me, I'd be in favor of a per-towel charge beyond some minimum of something like two per guest. Pay for wastefulness. Yep. Or a discount for resources saved. .
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:48 am

No it's not, I've stayed in a whole bunch of NYC hotels and never run into these charges anywhere else.

+1

When in NY I mostly stay in tourist hotels (I don't see the value in a decent/upscale hotel because I'm hardly ever there) and storing your bags for a fee is standard practice.

Just recognise that the GH NY is a convention/tourist hotel in a not too bad location and set your expectations accordingly and you probably won't be disappointed....

It's a $200-250 a night hotel in NY, don't go expecting the PH Tokyo treatment...
My rate was $305 and at that price, I do expect free mailroom (which I paid) and free luggage storage. It's the first time in NYC or anywhere actually that I have to pay for these services. If the hotel was a Country Inn or Hyatt Place, I would agree with you but at a Grand Hyatt? Please!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

I have never seen a hotel charge a fee for baggage and I was in the hospitality business. Everytime I've stayed in NYC at over 20 hotels and have never seen this.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:25 pm

At the time of my last stay at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers, they charged $3.25 (an hour? A bag?, I forget) to store my luggage. I found a receipt. March 2008. I consider it a roughly comparable hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.