Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I have been told that the closing has been postponed until December 2022.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:12 pm

If only GHNY had a version of Spasso.

The GC at GHNY is decent in my opinion. They used to have two hot items in the evenings, now they just have one, but typically everything else is better than the hot item.Tonight the crab salad was excellent. The hot item was meh. (soggy little flavorless pot stickers). Everything else I had was very good and the morning offerings are good also.

ZBigFam, I will politely disagree with you about the clubs at the 2 properties you mentioned. If you had said HR Seattle, I think many of us would agree with that one. Man's breakfast is mediocre at best and they serve things that look like a bagel, but they aren't bagels. Can't remember what Grand Cypress had, but we thought it was also mediocre quality for the most part. Nice fireworks views though.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 6, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:24 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Sheraton tribeca? R u f kidding. The ghny terrace is bigger than that entire lounge. All I can remember are the sticky floors an Costco frozen foods. U can fool some ppl here but not everyone.

Booze does nothing for me. Maybe is clouding ur judgement. And I think that is ur issue. Really. That was ur positive review this year for the tribeca -free booze.
Who cares what size the lounge is? It's relative to room count that matters. The Sheraton Tribeca lounge is never ever as crowded as the awful GH's.

The GH's terrace has zero view. Sheraton has lovely views.

And yeah, getting drinks and snacks in the late afternoon is pretty much the entire value of a club lounge usually (given I usually get a better breakfast in the restaurant when there's no club lounge). The quality of the food is about the same (from inedible to poor), though GH may have a bit more selection. The drinks are basic but serviceable. The GH tries to charge you ridiculous prices for those drinks.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 5:51 pm

GHNY Grande Club

Decide for yourself .. the GC was relatively uncrowded the other evening, so I was able to take some pics without disturbing anybody.

IMHO, the cold items are usually much better than the hot item. There's always two nice cheeses out and the breads are really nice.

In the mornings, there's always a main, some sort of egg thing or french toast, for example and a breakfast meat. They also have smoked salmon, NY mini bagels with toasters that work (everything and plain), salads, really nice pastries etc.

For some reason, the pics didn't post in the order I uploaded them.

Helvetic: I'm sure we all enjoy reading your highly personal and unique opinions and reviews of properties, but surely you realize they are highly personal and it's ok if people have their own opinions that differ from yours?

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 10, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:50 pm

Appreciate the pictures, again having stayed there so many times I think it's passable but far from memorable. Just my opinion.

Nicely arranged bread and cheeses no matter the quantity do not wow me. For me I would much rather have tasty hot dishes and sodas and sparkling water that I can bring to my room.

Don't get me wrong it's better than many of the grand hyatts in North America, it's just not too notch in my opinion.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
For me I would much rather have ... sodas and sparkling water that I can bring to my room.
Right next to the machine they have plastic cups with tops. Or you can bring your own empty bottle.

-David
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
My favorite hot dish is the coconut shrimp. Usually served on Mondays. For a while they had 2 hot dishes Saturday and Sunday when the Club was very crowded. One of them was a good pasta. Unfortunately when the club is less crowded the pasta is not served. They very recently added French toast and/ or pancakes occasionally in the morning. Otherwise it’s scrambled eggs.
LIH Prem and hotelfanatic like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Hawaiian, Hyatt, United
This is GRAND? Nothing Grand about it!

I booked the Grand Hyatt for Thanksgiving. We liked to location and we've had such great luck with Grand Hyatt accommodations in Hawaii, San Francisco, Seattle, Hong Kong.

Hyatt should be ashamed to call this their own.
The age and neglect of this hotel shoes in every way except the Club.

As a Globalist I used a Suite upgrade. I was given a Corner suite. Not sure why they considered this a "suite" as it was the size of a regular room.
A teeny tiny bathroom with a shower stall smaller than most Hyatt Place bathrooms.
The paint and the wallpaper were peeling off the walls.
The furniture in these rooms seemed like an afterthought, undersized and mismatched.
The sheets were torn
The night shades were in disrepair and took quite a bit of cajoling to make work.

Requests for extra towels, pillows and coffee took over 2 hours. and multiple attempts at that.

Not once was I greeted as a Globalist.

The staff worked exceedingly LOUD in the hallways and on more than one occasion, they came into our room after a brief knock.

Getting help with our luggage was a 3 step process, necessitating 3 tips.

The doorman could not be bothered to help us with our 8 suitcases.

The location is wonderfully convenient and we found the club to be well stocked, and although exceedingly crowded, the wait for things like the coffee machine were never long. The food was excellent and abundant.

Would I stay here again?
NEVER... ok, MAYBE if it was free... and I had no other choice.

But given a choice, I'd certainly look elsewhere. I had a GREAT experience at the Hyatt Centric Times Square.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:07 am

Unfortunately this is how it has always been. Stay away.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Hawaiian, Hyatt, United
I had read some bad reviews here after I had booked, but by the time I thought of changing our location, the other hyatt's in the area were prohibitively expensive.

Live and learn... I will always look elsewhere first.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by waiwai
I had read some bad reviews here after I had booked, but by the time I thought of changing our location, the other hyatt's in the area were prohibitively expensive.

Live and learn... I will always look elsewhere first.
A case of you get what you pay for or maybe even less than you paid for.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also, always check suite descriptions before applying TSUs unless they will otherwise expire unused. I try to avoid "wasting" mine on only junior suites.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The low prices of the “Grand” Hyatt NYC always are enough to make me stay away. When a GH is priced lower than an HP something is clearly very wrong with this picture.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I've found the place to always have been a dump. It was the very old Commodore Hotel that Trump bought, put some money into, and was operated as a Hyatt after that. After Trump redeveloped it, it was almost as much of a dump as the old Commodore was. He didn't put a penny into the bathrooms which, even in the suites, are disgusting. Very glad that Hyatt is removing their name from this dump of a hotel. And to have ever called it a Grand Hyatt is extremely questionable judgment on the part of Hyatt management. Thank goodness it's going to be torn down.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Very glad that Hyatt is removing their name from this dump of a hotel. ... Thank goodness it's going to be torn down.
How is Hyatt removing their name? I thought the tear down/rebuild was putting a new Grand Hyatt in its place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.