Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:45 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Looks like you are Glob. And on your 10th stay you are not aware you can pick up free water from the market (or just ask FD during checkin)? Also, as you do not pay the destination fee but still get the daily benefits: the daily $15 credit from the market allows you to buy anything at the market. Also free luggage storage coupon for 8 hours is in the destination fee book they give u. And of course the lounge have bottle water plus more. As for furniture, have you stayed at the Harold Square Hyatt? laptop barely fits on the desk and furniture are Ikea like. And they don't let Glob know about the destination fee benefits at checkin. So other than the gel, I don't understand the "cheap" issue.
I am aware you can pick up water at the market, and I am aware of the credits. Not putting water in the room like any other hotel and having guests get it themselves is cheap.

I wouldn't know abut the destination fee "benefits" if it wasn't for FlyerTalk, the front desk certainly doesn't volunteer that information here.

Not having shower gel, to everything in the room feeling cheap, to the "honor bar" system, to not having real in-room dining. They do the bare minimum and nothing more.

Speaking of the market, I had a hot cheesesteak sandwich and the inside was literally frozen cold.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:52 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by helvetic
I am aware you can pick up water at the market, and I am aware of the credits. Not putting water in the room like any other hotel and having guests get it themselves is cheap.

I wouldn't know abut the destination fee "benefits" if it wasn't for FlyerTalk, the front desk certainly doesn't volunteer that information here.

Not having shower gel, to everything in the room feeling cheap, to the "honor bar" system, to not having real in-room dining. They do the bare minimum and nothing more.

Speaking of the market, I had a hot cheesesteak sandwich and the inside was literally frozen cold.
maybe really time the hotel is torn down and re-built give a chance to start all over without any history
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver

FD always informed me of my destination benefits but maybe they missed a few times for others. honor bar is a fact of life in most US hotels so not sure where you are getting the idea alcohol is free in US lounges.
So the complained is boiled down to not placing 2 bottles of water in every room...

may I suggest moving your stays to Harold Square? They have shower gel.. but they do not leave bottles of water in your room (most times)...you have to get it from the maid's closet yourself.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 59Impala
maybe really time the hotel is torn down and re-built give a chance to start all over without any history
Yes, Trump did build the hotel... is time...

But odd you brought this up, someone mentioned to me it was going to be torn down... I dismissed it.. so maybe true?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

But odd you brought this up, someone mentioned to me it was going to be torn down... I dismissed it.. so maybe true?
Absolutely true. And not a moment too soon. Will be glad to bid adieu to that pile of crap.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
FD always informed me of my destination benefits but maybe they missed a few times for others. honor bar is a fact of life in most US hotels so not sure where you are getting the idea alcohol is free in US lounges.
So the complained is boiled down to not placing 2 bottles of water in every room...

may I suggest moving your stays to Harold Square? They have shower gel.. but they do not leave bottles of water in your room (most times)...you have to get it from the maid's closet yourself.
Low quality toilet paper and kleenex in the rooms, too.

As far as honor bars, I've seen them at a few GH/HRs in the USA and it's a dumb concept. Even Sheratons get this right.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:50 am

Low quality toilet paper and kleenex in the rooms, too.

As far as honor bars, I've seen them at a few GH/HRs in the USA and it's a dumb concept. Even Sheratons get this right.

So now is toilet paper.. what's next? the toilet flushes too hard?... this one is true at this property.

So are you saying only a few GH/HR have honor bars? Care to name the many that does not in the US of A? And which Sheraton gives free alcohol? Please do tell...

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 28, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:09 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

Yes, it is being discussed here Grand Hyatt NYC To Be Torn Down & Rebuilt
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always been reasonably happy here when I needed it for the location or rate. At check in, I'm given water plus a fistful of coupons for more water from the market, plus of course there's always water in the lounge. My only criticism would be that I'm not fond of the appearance of the lobby area, which sometimes can be crowded (as is also sometimes true of the lounge).

Oh yeah, for a trivial criticism, whenever I've been invited to do their rooftop tour with the concierge, it was always either at a time that wasn't convenient for me or the tour was cancelled due to wind/weather.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Bottled water in NYC is a waste, economically and environmentally. NYC tap water is some of the best in the world.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

No shower gel has to be a new low for a GH anywhere.
helvetic and caliform like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Funny to read this thread from the GH Bogota, where things are just superb. It feels like an Andaz. Goes to show you really shouldn't take this kind of awful stuff for granted because 'it's a grand hyatt'. It can be better. Hyatts in NY are really not great. I've stayed at the PH, the downtown Andaz and the GH and it's a sad state of affairs.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:38 pm

Cannot compare US GH /HR to anything outside North American... I wouldn't even compare HP or HH
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:45 pm

So now is toilet paper.. what's next? the toilet flushes too hard?... this one is true at this property.

So are you saying only a few GH/HR have honor bars? Care to name the many that does not in the US of A? And which Sheraton gives free alcohol? Please do tell...
Can't think of a Sheraton that doesn't give free alcohol at a club lounge happy hour.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Bottled water in NYC is a waste, economically and environmentally. NYC tap water is some of the best in the world.
Do you think the two glasses they leave in the room at the GH NYC are some of the cleanest in the world, too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.