Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist

Has any non-Globalist been able to get out of paying this ridiculous Destination Fee at the Grand Hyatt New York? It just irritates me to no end that I'll have to pay an extra $225 for a 9-night stay when I'll get almost nothing out of it. If you have gotten out of it, what did you say? Who did you talk to?

Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Just booked a new rez in December. Cancelation policy is 14 days prior to arrival to avoid one night fee. Anyone else seen this before?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:24 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Just booked a new rez in December. Cancelation policy is 14 days prior to arrival to avoid one night fee. Anyone else seen this before?
Yes, not uncommon during periods of high demand, which NYC is in December.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ryandk

Has any non-Globalist been able to get out of paying this ridiculous Destination Fee at the Grand Hyatt New York? It just irritates me to no end that I'll have to pay an extra $225 for a 9-night stay when I'll get almost nothing out of it. If you have gotten out of it, what did you say? Who did you talk to?

The fees aren’t illegal. If you refuse to pay they can deny you a room and keep whatever deposit or guarantee you’ve paid or agreed to pay.

Unlikely you’ll be able to talk your way out of it...

Isn't most of the fee here easily recoverable with a f&b credit you can use in a convenience store market? If so, is it that big of a deal?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:12 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Isn't most of the fee here easily recoverable with a f&b credit you can use in a convenience store market? If so, is it that big of a deal?
You do get a $15/day credit at the "market" in the lobby. You have to spend it each day though; you can't not spend it for a few days and build up $30 or $45 in credit. It's also priced like any high end hotel lobby shop, that is very pricey. I recall we exhausted our $15 one day when we bought a breakfast bagel sandwich and a bag of chips to take on the train a little later.

As a Glob, we got the credit without paying the destination fee. We tried to use it every day, but it was painful, and we ended getting things we never would have if we were paying out of pocket. I'm guessing it adds to the annoyance of paying the fee, rather than making it a bit easier to accept the fee.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skj
You do get a $15/day credit at the "market" in the lobby. You have to spend it each day though; you can't not spend it for a few days and build up $30 or $45 in credit. It's also priced like any high end hotel lobby shop, that is very pricey. I recall we exhausted our $15 one day when we bought a breakfast bagel sandwich and a bag of chips to take on the train a little later.

As a Glob, we got the credit without paying the destination fee. We tried to use it every day, but it was painful, and we ended getting things we never would have if we were paying out of pocket. I'm guessing it adds to the annoyance of paying the fee, rather than making it a bit easier to accept the fee.
I wish the fee was more usable like the one at StR New York and came with a plethora of goodies.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And there are still properties in NYC that do not charge the fee. For those who find these fees deeply offensive, the best option is to pick another hotel.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

The fees aren’t illegal. If you refuse to pay they can deny you a room and keep whatever deposit or guarantee you’ve paid or agreed to pay.

Unlikely you’ll be able to talk your way out of it...

I didn't say the fees are illegal. They sure as hell should be.

Is it that big of a deal? Yes, it is. We shouldn't just roll over and accept these destination fees. If the hotel wants to charge a certain amount, just add it to the nightly room rate.

Why should we be forced to buy things we don't want? Here's what's included at the New York Grand Hyatt:
  • High speed premium internet -Isn't this included for World of Hyatt members already?
  • Local, long distance and international calls -I don't make calls while I'm on vacation. Texts only.
  • $15 food and beverage credit in hotel Market per room per day -I already have lounge access. I doubt I'll use the daily credit for much at all.
  • Access to daily New York Times & Financial Times via in-room app -Who has time to read the paper while on vacation?
  • Grand Central self-guided audio tour for two per stay -useless
  • Seasonal rooftop tour viewing NYC skyline -This was offered for free before. Again, not something I'll likely take advantage of.
  • Exclusive Grand Central coupon book with discounts and free offers for Grand Central Terminal vendors -there aren't many places I'd shop at in Grand Central
  • Macy’s VIP passport which includes 15% discount on regular and sale merchandise, 20% off food and beverage & complimentary fine jewelry & “MyStylist” personal shopper -this is decent, but Macy's already offers 10% off for all visitors. And wouldn't we rather shop elsewhere while we're in New York City?
  • Luggage storage upon check in (up to four (4 bags) and upon check out (maximum eight (8) hours) -this is probably the only thing on the whole list that's useful

So if I wouldn't get any of these things by choice if they weren't forced on me, the destination fee is a total waste of money. It's a cash-grab, and it should be illegal.

People need to stand up to hotels and refuse to pay. Call your credit card company and dispute the fee. Call your state's attorney-general. Take the hotel to court.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why should we be forced to buy things we don't want?
You're not forced to buy anything. I'm no fan of destination fees, but you can choose not to book the properties that charge them.
People need to stand up to hotels and refuse to pay. Call your credit card company and dispute the fee.
Good way to wind up with no credit cards.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're not forced to buy anything. I'm no fan of destination fees, but you can choose not to book the properties that charge them.
Good way to wind up with no credit cards.
I didn't say the fees are illegal. They sure as hell should be.

Is it that big of a deal? Yes, it is. We shouldn't just roll over and accept these destination fees. If the hotel wants to charge a certain amount, just add it to the nightly room rate.

Why should we be forced to buy things we don't want? Here's what's included at the New York Grand Hyatt:
  • High speed premium internet -Isn't this included for World of Hyatt members already?
  • Local, long distance and international calls -I don't make calls while I'm on vacation. Texts only.
  • $15 food and beverage credit in hotel Market per room per day -I already have lounge access. I doubt I'll use the daily credit for much at all.
  • Access to daily New York Times & Financial Times via in-room app -Who has time to read the paper while on vacation?
  • Grand Central self-guided audio tour for two per stay -useless
  • Seasonal rooftop tour viewing NYC skyline -This was offered for free before. Again, not something I'll likely take advantage of.
  • Exclusive Grand Central coupon book with discounts and free offers for Grand Central Terminal vendors -there aren't many places I'd shop at in Grand Central
  • Macy’s VIP passport which includes 15% discount on regular and sale merchandise, 20% off food and beverage & complimentary fine jewelry & “MyStylist” personal shopper -this is decent, but Macy's already offers 10% off for all visitors. And wouldn't we rather shop elsewhere while we're in New York City?
  • Luggage storage upon check in (up to four (4 bags) and upon check out (maximum eight (8) hours) -this is probably the only thing on the whole list that's useful

So if I wouldn't get any of these things by choice if they weren't forced on me, the destination fee is a total waste of money. It's a cash-grab, and it should be illegal.

People need to stand up to hotels and refuse to pay. Call your credit card company and dispute the fee. Call your state's attorney-general. Take the hotel to court.
OR (I know it’s a crazy thought) DONT STAY THERE! Sheesh. The solution to every problem is not to litigate or seek to back out of an obligation you were made fully aware of before you made it... Vote with your wallet by taking your business elsewhere and please don’t harass the poor staff - it isn’t their fault.

Not to be political but the current administration will never change the status quo as it relates to this issue. Vote for someone who will... in theory the FTC (I think) could regulate these fees BUT the FTC is controlled by a certain New York real estate developer who coincidentally built the GHNY!
adambadam and Biggie Fries like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
just checked in at the grand. got upgraded to VIP Suite, which is very nice. No 25 $ fee for globalist but all the perks of the fee. So daily 15 USD use of the market ist not that bad. Even if you just take a beer or a burger. So thats nice.
Other than that. Checkin yesterday just 2 (!) ladies. LOOOOng waiting lines.You also get a 25 USD free credit of the market , too. For a rate of 200 USD over thanksgiving not that bad.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
just checked in at the grand. got upgraded to VIP Suite, which is very nice. No 25 $ fee for globalist but all the perks of the fee. So daily 15 USD use of the market ist not that bad. Even if you just take a beer or a burger. So thats nice.
Other than that. Checkin yesterday just 2 (!) ladies. LOOOOng waiting lines.You also get a 25 USD free credit of the market , too. For a rate of 200 USD over thanksgiving not that bad.
Hmm, I'm definitely not a fan of this hotel but have stayed here 3x in the last couple of months out of convenience, and I wasn't charged the fee but didn't get the credit. Did you have to ask for that? I have to say, that would be a nice perk for globs here. (One of the times they didn't even give me my card for waters, and when I asked they argued so I just left.)

And I fully agree they need to better staff their checkin area!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by NJNY
Hmm, I'm definitely not a fan of this hotel but have stayed here 3x in the last couple of months out of convenience, and I wasn't charged the fee but didn't get the credit. Did you have to ask for that? I have to say, that would be a nice perk for globs here. (One of the times they didn't even give me my card for waters, and when I asked they argued so I just left.)

The credit is given when you make the food and beverage purchases. The $15 is deducted when the amount is posted to your bill.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Access to daily New York Times & Financial Times via in-room app -Who has time to read the paper while on vacation?
Perhaps I am in the minority, but vacation is the only time I have to relax and read the paper. At home, I have no time. For me, the in-room app is the issue and this is a complete non-amenity -- I already have an online NYT's subscription and can read on my phone or computers when I want, and honestly, I don't find it all the enjoyable to read the news on a screen. When I am on vacation, I enjoy the luxury of spending 2 or more hours in the morning turning hard pages of the paper while drinking my coffee. I appreciate the hotels that still physically leave out the NYT for me to grab.

As a globalist, I can admit to becoming rather ambivalent about the fee. Though, on principle, I still hate the nickel and dime business model, and keeping tabs on the spending my 'credit' is a tiny mental drain I would rather do without.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by NJNY

hi,
didnt have to ask, just offered the full perks and also the 25 $ coupon, but hey, that shop is pricey....a Bud 7.25 ....not that i would buy it but still. so the 15 USD is gone fast.
they brought me many bottles of water to the room and had coupons for the Breakfest in the main today in the room , which i dont need.
Club lounge was crowded yesterday and i hate sto see if people cannot behave at a buffet. (picking with fingers..) so i jumped at new plates, but that was partially disgusting to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.