Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Big renovation:

maybe we should give them some help, what we like to see there!
Robotic room service trays (finding their way home into the kitchen after having been placed on the floor in the hallway)
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Big renovation:

maybe we should give them some help, what we like to see there!

- Doors that fit !
Now seriously ():

- State of the art bathrooms with shower doors instead of smelly curtains.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by swiss-mike
Robotic room service trays (finding their way home into the kitchen after having been placed on the floor in the hallway)
Its funny you say that....

We just spent the last week at the Andaz 5th Ave., but put some friends up at the GH NYC (they needed a room with 2 beds, so the Andaz was unfortunately a no go).

When we stopped by to visit them a few times, as usual, there were room service trays, bags of food, etc. outside lots of rooms - typical GH NYC stuff.

But, at the Andaz I started playing a game. How fast would stuff vanish from outside of my room. We'd put the room service cart outside the door every morning after breakfast, late night take out bags, etc. It was amazing, I'd never hear the person take it, but it was always gone in minutes.

I don't get how they do it. Hidden cameras in the hallways?

Obviously a much smaller property, but they've got it right.

When I checked in our friends at the GH, the FD told me about the renovations that were starting as well. She said that they are trying to make it more like the Asian Hyatts.

She askedd me if I had ever seen any of the Asian properties. Ironically, I had just returned the day before from 2 weeks in Park and Grand Hyatts around east Asia, so the harsh reality of the GH NYC was pretty obvious. I diplomatically said, 'yes, the Hyatt's in Aisa are impressive and I am glad GH NYC is going to update things'.

Here's to hoping that the renovation will improve things here, but I don't hold out much hope. They are going to be architecturally constrained by the building and honestly, they are always full as-is, so do they really need to go nuts? I've got a feeling that they really don't need us Hyatt regulars as much as other properties.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by bostonpilot

She askedd me if I had ever seen any of the Asian properties. Ironically, I had just returned the day before from 2 weeks in Park and Grand Hyatts around east Asia, so the harsh reality of the GH NYC was pretty obvious.

This is indeed the biggest difference you can experience these days staying at the exact same brand. Finding yourself at the Grand New York after staying at several Grand Hyatt properties in Asia...
It is probably even worse, if you get a suite at both properties...

I diplomatically said, 'yes, the Hyatt's in Aisa are impressive and I am glad GH NYC is going to update things'.
Very nice and very Asian, however if somebody could probably take a beating, it is a New Yorker, especially if he/she works at the Grand New York and is probably used to it anyway ( and could not care less as well )

Here's to hoping that the renovation will improve things here, but I don't hold out much hope. They are going to be architecturally constrained by the building and honestly, they are always full as-is, so do they really need to go nuts? I've got a feeling that they really don't need us Hyatt regulars as much as other properties.
You really need to invest quite some money, if you like to change the set up and size of the bathroom. The only Hyatt that I know that was able to transfer from an old standard US approach to a modern hotel is the Regency Dubai. They took out the wall separating the room and the bathroom and actually created a nice, slighly bigger bathroom with both the old bathtub on one side and a shower cabin on the other side of the bathroom with the sink right in between both 'wet areas'. Aside from that, increasing the rooms would certainly result in a lower quantity of rooms post renovation and considering the rates and occupancy levels, I do not see that happening as well.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Baker's Dozen

Although this property is getting pummeled here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html there is a silver lining ... their rsetaurant " is mentioned here in a positive light:

New York Central at The Grand Hyatt: Chef Christian Ragano (a Queens lad, known for his work at NoMI in Chicago) moves into the space that was the Manhattan Sky Restaurant and Lounge. His new spot replaces The Commodore Grill as the main restaurant for the hotel (and Commodore Grill will become a private banquette space). We're told to expect a European focus, with house-made pastas, local produce and homemade charcuterie.
http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20..._Baker_s_Dozen
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:30 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Exclamation wow they must be joking

714 dollars including tax for a king guest room per night at the Grand Hyatt for Sunday the 19th of Sept
I booked the impressive new InterContinental in Times Square for 335.00 plus tax
months ago now it seems like a steal/giveaway
I find these rooms shocking at these prices but to each their own if they see good value in that............
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
714 dollars including tax for a king guest room per night at the Grand Hyatt for Sunday the 19th of Sept
I booked the impressive new InterContinental in Times Square for 335.00 plus tax
months ago now it seems like a steal/giveaway
I find these rooms shocking at these prices but to each their own if they see good value in that............
I can`t imagine anyone seeing good value in that. Four Seasons New York has rack rates starting at $795 for that night. If one were to make a booking through Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Virtuoso, etc.. the value of the complimentary breakfast, upgrade, and $100 credit would make that rate effectively lower than the GH.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I can`t imagine anyone seeing good value in that. Four Seasons New York has rack rates starting at $795 for that night. If one were to make a booking through Four Seasons Preferred Partner, Virtuoso, etc.. the value of the complimentary breakfast, upgrade, and $100 credit would make that rate effectively lower than the GH.
Good points
Even SPG hotels are not overpricing their hotels in comparison.I do understand that it is high season.
However my perception is Hyatt is starting to return to their unfair pricing policies of 2005.In the past few years I found Hyatt to be the amongst the smartest and better value lodging when it comes to setting revenue rates with the best promotional opportunities from GP.

I think they run the risk of folks thinking their hotels are overpriced
There was a time when I stopped even considering some Hyatts based on rampant overcharging.
At a certain point I don't even consider a property for revenue when my perception is they will only overprice.
More power to them if they have plenty of takers

Perhaps some of these folks are overseas travelers who are expecting the Grand Hyatt Tokyo at these rates
I think they are going to be shocked when they see the property with a starting rate of 700 plus.
Hope it doesnt reflect their opinion of the US or New York hospitality value in general in a great city like NY
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FD1971
The Grand NYC used to be a pretty good deal at 15k and is still solid at 22k considering the average rates...
As pointed out some moons ago, the Grand New York can be a pretty good deal at 22k considering rates of $ 619 + tax....

Both Andaz properties are in the 500's, so I do not consider the Grand to be massively overpriced on that day. Quite frankly, it is New York City and we have seen absurd prices there frequently.

It is also a business after all and it seems that the IC @ TS is not as well known yet or should retrain or replace their people in sales...
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:01 am
Suspended

I think they run the risk of folks thinking their hotels are overpriced
There was a time when I stopped even considering some Hyatts based on rampant overcharging.
Without any doubt, there are dozens of Hyatt properties around that are massively overpriced and should be avoided at all costs, in other words, there are better value for money non-Hyatt properties around, aside from the average Hyatt Place.

Knowing a lot of people within their sales and strategy departments, there is a very strong believe (often absolutely correct!) that Hyatt is a true premium brand that can justify certain price ranges, especially on international soil and even more so, in certain Asian markets.

Again, I would not really blame the GH NYC for rampant overcharging, as of now, one Andaz in New York is even more expensive and the IC @ TS also charges $ 429+, but certain properties in Los Angeles, Atlanta or San Francisco come to mind quickly...although their corporate rates are actually priced to sell
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Asia Comparison

Why is the NY GH constantly being compared to Hyatt properties in Asia? I rearly see other Hyatt properties compared to Hyatts in Asia or Europe in their master threads. So lets put this to rest. There are very few Hyatts in the US that can be compared to the ones in Asia and Europe. I can also say the same for the other hotel brands (Hilton/Marriott/*wood, etc).

Quote: "as usual, there were room service trays, bags of food, etc. outside lots of rooms - typical GH NYC stuff."

Not sure what time this was but I've stayed at this property over the last 10 years with hundreds of nights and have not noticed "lots of rooms" with trays/bags/food outside. Is no more than what I've observed in other NYC hotels.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Why is the NY GH constantly being compared to Hyatt properties in Asia? I rearly see other Hyatt properties compared to Hyatts in Asia or Europe in their master threads. So lets put this to rest. There are very few Hyatts in the US that can be compared to the ones in Asia and Europe. I can also say the same for the other hotel brands (Hilton/Marriott/*wood, etc).

Quote: "as usual, there were room service trays, bags of food, etc. outside lots of rooms - typical GH NYC stuff."

Not sure what time this was but I've stayed at this property over the last 10 years with hundreds of nights and have not noticed "lots of rooms" with trays/bags/food outside. Is no more than what I've observed in other NYC hotels.
Simply because the folks that stay at Grand Hyatt’s in those regions may expect that the property in or out of New York City to reflect those similar/same brand standards.........That is a reasonable expectation for many guests
Until and if improvements take place at the property I see The Grand Hyatt New York City as a Hyatt personally or even a Hyatt Regency when I think of almost all other Hyatt brands in the Domestic US or International.I shared here some time ago early on that ongoing improvements/renovations could change the property vastly for the better

Regarding your comments with trays/bags/food left in hallways. This has been a problem at the property for many years. My history with Grand Hyatt NYC started in the mid 90s
I too have witnessed the problem however many rooms would not apply IMO .
A handful of rooms on select floors may apply
We did an event at the hotel with a travel publication and a number of long time team members mentioned it.It is what it is
I like the hotel overall and the current management

However that said personally I don’t want at present to part with 22k or 700 dollars for one of their guest rooms just because many want to use their points/redeem there systemwide
I will consider on points in the future or if rates come down to what I believe is fair market value
Probably for the most part going to go with other brands and programs in this market for today.
Unless the hotel dramatically improves its product/standard to justify the premium.
I booked on points recently then reviewed and felt it was worth 15 to 18k a night when I considered other programs/options.Certainly a personal choice for all.

At 22k per night I decided to book elsewhere.I certainly would consider the property in the future in the right situation. The folks at the Grand Hyatt have been very good to me without question and I look forward in the year ahead to returning at some point and seeing their progress
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Why is the NY GH constantly being compared to Hyatt properties in Asia?
Simply because the folks that stay at Grand Hyatt’s in those regions may expect that the property in or out of New York City to reflect those similar/same brand standards.........That is a reasonable expectation for many guests
Exactly. I do expect my Diet Coke to taste identical, regardless if it has been bottled in Pittsburgh, Pisa or Papeete.

Certain brand standards should result in minimum requirements and while some newer Grand Hyatt's in Denver or San Antonio are very nice hotels ( for US standards, of course still not comparable to those truly grand Grand Hyatt properties in Asia or Europe ) , the Grand Hyatt New York should either be renovated completely or renamed into the Hyatt at Grand Central.

Quality-wise, it is on one level with those relatively basic Hyatt hotels one can find in Deerfield, Rosemont or Lisle, however the Hyatt Lisle normally charges $ 61.90 and not $ 619

Just recently, I called a standard executive room at the IC The Amstel at Euro 450 one of the worst values in the industry, however paying more than $ 700 on a Sunday night for the Grand New York comes very close
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:43 am

Exactly. I do expect my Diet Coke to taste identical, regardless if it has been bottled in Pittsburgh, Pisa or Papeete.

Certain brand standards should result in minimum requirements and while some newer Grand Hyatt's in Denver or San Antonio are very nice hotels ( for US standards, of course still not comparable to those truly grand Grand Hyatt properties in Asia or Europe ) , the Grand Hyatt New York should either be renovated completely or renamed into the Hyatt at Grand Central.

Quality-wise, it is on one level with those relatively basic Hyatt hotels one can find in Deerfield, Rosemont or Lisle, however the Hyatt Lisle normally charges $ 61.90 and not $ 619

Just recently, I called a standard executive room at the IC The Amstel at Euro 450 one of the worst values in the industry, however paying more than $ 700 on a Sunday night for the Grand New York comes very close
We are on the same page here and your comments are spot on ^
Couldn't agree more.In fact I wouldnt even use points at the Amstel.
Its a tired old hotel living on its past glory as glorious as it once was.To be fair it still is a nice property when u look at setting and the spacious rooms.But they are milking guests for its tired condition as nicely kept as it is.

Off topic perhaps but a deal maker or breaker for me
One of the reasons I do stay with InterContinental is that when I think the property will meet my personal standards I tend to book the higher revenue rooms simply because typically they have excellent brand/guest assurance. I like buying in trust and getting my money’s worth with a high quality experience
You will likely being seeing a refund or the replacement points if the IC property doesn't live up to reasonable expectations.

I have only fair to average faith in Hyatt Consumer Affairs when staying in Hyatt Hotels.(yes I am a huge fan of many of the hotels and the program)
Hyatt Customer Relations certainly gets a satisfactory rating overall. Disclaimer (not to be confused with Gold Passport Customer Service/Diamond Desk)

Certainly Hyatt Consumer Affairs may solve your concerns /issues and do from time to time without question. That said their responses and follow-ups are weak over the past years from my own experience and that of many others I hear from .Management is poor in that department and doesnt want personal involvement with Hyatt GP guests when assistance is requested

IHG took care of me even on a Priceline stay 5 years ago in a very rare situation out of my control during an airline strike and refunded my money even though they were under no obligation to do so. The simple 75 dollar refund gesture at the time (and mind you with no elite status or past stay history) got an enormous ROI over the years out of my admiration for their customer service.
Hyatt needs to take one half that ownership of guest satisfaction especially when booked through its own booking channels. As in all Customer Relation situations/ experiences will vary as to what CS agent you speak to……….
Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Do all Coke use the same water? Do all beef patties comes from the same farm? I have had these products in different parts of the US and sometimes they taste very different.

Expectation is not reality.

I always wish the San Fran Grand Hyatt to be as good as the ones in Asia - but it ain't go'in happen - never in my life time. At least there are planned renovations at the GHNY - so lets wait and see how that turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.