Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any credit cards at this point???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton

I know I am 9 months pregnant, but is there any reason why not to use whichever credit card you want right now? Am I forgetting any promotion? I need to at least get my bonus 3K before 3/19.

BoulderHyattHopper / mom to be again!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
First of all CONGRATULATIONS ^^

Secondly, there's nothing going on right now. Use whichever card gets you the most points/miles
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:40 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Congratulations BHH!!!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Life-Plat, Hyatt ex-Diamond, Hilton ex-Diamond, UA ex-1K, Avis ex-Chairman
Congrats!

I use AmEx Small Business card because of the 3% rebate as Hyatt is part of the OPEN network
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I try to use a competing hotel chain's credit card to make the point that Hyatt needs its own co-branded card.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BoulderHyattHopper, congratulations!

Originally Posted by Explore
I try to use a competing hotel chain's credit card to make the point that Hyatt needs its own co-branded card.
I have to disagree. I feel that the absence of Hyatt CC keeps the value of GP points relatively high. One actually has to stay at Hyatts to earn points ^
I can not possibly compete with people who run $100+K of business expenses through a personal cc every year. With a relatively small number of properties, Hyatt CC would devalue points in no time. Right now the program is very well balanced with occasional FFNs and GPs here and there and i'd like it to stay the same.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00

I have to disagree. I feel that the absence of Hyatt CC keeps the value of GP points relatively high. One actually has to stay at Hyatts to earn points ^
I can not possibly compete with people who run $100+K of business expenses through a personal cc every year. With a relatively small number of properties, Hyatt CC would devalue points in no time. Right now the program is very well balanced with occasional FFNs and GPs here and there and i'd like it to stay the same.
Your qualifier "occasional" is the key word. A lot more occasional than before.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
I still think they should have a CC. All the other major hotels do and I usually have no trouble getting free rooms
Old Mar 8, 2006, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00

I agree with you azpine00. I used to wish for a Hyatt CC, but the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't want it because there seem to be boatloads of people that just spend massive amounts on their CCs for their companies. If enough of those people get the Hyatt card, those of us who actually stay at Hyatt will have to compete with them for rooms over the summer at HR Maui or GH Kauai. No thanks.........at least now that my GP point balance is well into the 6 digits...........
Old Mar 9, 2006, 5:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Looking at the facts

I think Hilton has it right of all the major chains. Best availability on reward redemption for Diamonds
(those that are the most loyal and profitable to the program) and no point penalties or the use of extra points required to redeem.
If the room is unavailable for points they buy it for you or pull it out of Diamond allotment.That is what I call guaranteed satisfaction with the program.There may be an exception of course but that is typical of the program.
I stay with them and use a wide mix of low priced and high priced Hilton branded properties.
Regularly use the HH Amex Credit Card too which only influences me to stay in the hotels more because I am consolidating quicker in the program.

While this is pure speculation on my part as Hyatt keeps adding brands and enhancing their brands and the GP program I think there remains a good chance we still might see a Hyatt credit card sometime soon down the road.
IMO this is going to become vital for Hyatt far beyond the ability for guests to accrue more Gold Passport points. This becomes another important channel for acquisition and continued interest and involvement in the program.

I have a very good industry friend that won't join Gold Passport simply because they don't feature a credit card.And this is someone that is a frequent hotel customer and heavy spender once they become a satisfied entrenched customer.This is the kind of customer Hyatt needs to aquire
While I don't understand my colleagues decision there are others just like him........
Even folks who don't stay at hotels frequently are more likely to stay where they are enrolled if they have the Marriott Visa only for example.They are pre enrolled in the program

As a regular Hyatt stay guy having a CC is just not that important to me (though welcome) as long as the accumulation of those points don't cause inflation of those awards,threaten airline partnership value and or make availabity tougher then it it already is for the cream of the crop properties.
All of those concerns remain real possibilities
If that might be the case I would happily say no to a Hyatt CC.

Gold Passport in the past has lived up to my every expectation for a rewarding relationship. Lets hope that won't change anytime in the future
Here is to hope another good year with Hyatt ^
And of course a repeat performance Faster Free Night's
(A Freddie Award winning promotion)
Cheers
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stinkycop
I still think they should have a CC. All the other major hotels do and I usually have no trouble getting free rooms
Welcome to FT!

Starwood, Hilton and Marriott have 2000+ properties each. Hyatt has 200+.
Recently added brands will increase this number but still redemption would become extemely difficult and current points would suffer a major drop in value if Hyatt decided to issue a CC.

Yes CCs bring in new customers. But poor redemption opportunities would probably drive a lot of existing loyal customers to other brands (eg Starwood or Hilton) where award availability is guaranteed.
Hyatt is doing very well in the core business - occupancy levels seem quite high (no hard data just personal observations). I don't really see a reason to introduce CC - why mess with a perfectly good thing?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:37 pm

As a Diamond in both Hilton and Hyatt, I have more trouble getting an award night at Hyatt. Hilton Diamonds are guaranteed an award room unless standard rooms are sold out or unless it's an extraordinary demand period (very rare). Not so at Hyatt. Hilton Golds and below may not fare so well.

I don't put any corporate expenses on my Hilton CC. I do leverage card signup bonuses and partnerships to transfer points from other programs. I may end up with somewhat more free nights in HHonors than in Gold Passport, but if an FFN promo is on the tables are turned. Absent credit card activity, the free nights come quicker at Hyatt given G bonuses, assuming they have inventory available.

Last edited by Explore; Mar 9, 2006 at 11:42 pm
Old Mar 11, 2006, 7:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I find Hyatt award availability very good except Paris and a few of the other cream of the crop high demand redemption cities.And while it can be very tight it is an honest allotment/inventory. Unlike other programs even if a revenue room may be sold out there is a chance you can still redeem for points.At other programs there would no possible chance.This is one of the many under the radar benefits that makes it a pleasure to do business with Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.