Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery

Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery

Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Wow, this is really amazing on two fronts to me.

1. That a management rep. in a company that is clearly 100% in the service industry couldn't make the elementary decision to let you have the suite and correct the problem with his staff later. I call that bookending...we stop the problem right now and address it going forward. Anyone we (speaking for my company) biffed on in the past gets the benefit of our mistake since we missed the opportunity to do it correctly.

2. That you (OP) hold them harmless in this for not only making such a bush league mistake, but for extorting money from you...they pretty much mugged you in the hallway near as I can tell.

And I am very curious as to why Hyatt can't get their act together on their website with stuff like this. I find that to be unacceptable...publish one set of rules for your customers but a different (and 'real') set for those administering the rules. B.S.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:27 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
I completely agree with Dingo. I'm not sure which is more amazing: the completely low class or no class move by the hotel rep or the OP for allowing the extortion and physical confrontation.

Originally Posted by dingo
Wow, this is really amazing on two fronts to me.

1. That a management rep. in a company that is clearly 100% in the service industry couldn't make the elementary decision to let you have the suite and correct the problem with his staff later. I call that bookending...we stop the problem right now and address it going forward. Anyone we (speaking for my company) biffed on in the past gets the benefit of our mistake since we missed the opportunity to do it correctly.

2. That you (OP) hold them harmless in this for not only making such a bush league mistake, but for extorting money from you...they pretty much mugged you in the hallway near as I can tell.

And I am very curious as to why Hyatt can't get their act together on their website with stuff like this. I find that to be unacceptable...publish one set of rules for your customers but a different (and 'real') set for those administering the rules. B.S.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Wow, tough crowd... I did not ask for advice on how to handle my personal complaint, am happy with the way I dealt with it and with the way it has subsequently been resolved, so I am bemused by people's near-exclusive focus on my that, rather than what caused the situation in the first place.

There was no "physical confrontation" or "mugging" - that is just absurd - and I can assure you that I am no pushover. The fact is that the certificate was not valid at that hotel. By the same principle, do those who have replied so robustly above think that it should have been honoured if expired, from another hotel group, forged or copied, if I had presented an invalid credit card...? Where do you draw the line at forcing staff to honour a mistake?

I really do think that the fault lies with Hyatt for failing to disclose this hidden list of "Resorts" and I am surprised that there has been so little comment on that, for me critical, aspect.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Dakota
Wow, tough crowd... I did not ask for advice on how to handle my personal complaint, am happy with the way I dealt with it and with the way it has subsequently been resolved, so I am bemused by people's near-exclusive focus on my that, rather than what caused the situation in the first place.

There was no "physical confrontation" or "mugging" - that is just absurd - and I can assure you that I am no pushover. The fact is that the certificate was not valid at that hotel. By the same principle, do those who have replied so robustly above think that it should have been honoured if expired, from another hotel group, forged or copied, if I had presented an invalid credit card...? Where do you draw the line at forcing staff to honour a mistake?

I really do think that the fault lies with Hyatt for failing to disclose this hidden list of "Resorts" and I am surprised that there has been so little comment on that, for me critical, aspect.
I agree totally that the initial fault lies 100% with Hyatt. However, the hotel, once having given you the upgrade, should have let it rest. Remember, this is the service industry. Plus, the room probably would not have been occupied - might as well make a Diamond happy.

Think it you had a coupon from, say, Bath and Body Works for a certain product. It says that it is not valid for "Aromatherapy" products (which is a certain line). But let's say they consider Aromatherapy products all their spa products (i.e. True Blue Spa, etc). Would it be fair for you to go and try to use this coupon on the True Blue Spa product and have them say that this is an "Aromatherapy" product? No, of course not! If it says not valid on Aromatherapy, then it is ONLY not valid on Aromatherapy. Even if it was a mistake, then they should still honor the coupon you have.

Similarly, I went to Brooks Brothers once for some custom shirts. They happened to have gone off sale the day before, but the sign was still up. Did they nickle-and-dime me for the full price? Of course not; they just gave me the discount price. That is what real service is about.

Edited to add: what if you were at a hospital? You schedule an appointment, take time off from work, present your insurance card, and they tell you you will be taken at x time. Well, right when you are supposed to be taken, they come to you and tell you that your insurance doesn't actually cover the exact procedure you want. You can get one that might not help or you can pay out of pocket. Is this fair? It is the same thing that happened in this Hyatt. Either way (even if this example is more life-death), the hospital/hotel was wrong.

Last edited by aa4ever; Feb 11, 2006 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Dakota

We would have no idea if the problem lies with Hyatt since we don't know what hotel we are talking about? The only problem so far that most of us have found is the way this was handled by the MOD of the hotel.

I deal with problems every day and would never treat a customer in the manner you were treated. If I make a mistake my company or I would make it right for our customer.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
In the spirit of sharing information, I think you would be doing a good service for your fellow FTers by advising at which hotel your situation occured. Like you, I'd like to have fair warning if I pop up at a hotel late at night, only to find that there was some miscommunication between Hyatt reservations/GPP and the hotel. Since Hyatt Corp isn't disclosing these "secret" resorts, who else will?

You mentioned that the hotel gave otherwise good service and that the GM provided good compensation for your difficulties, so I don't think you'll be "hurting" them by doing so. I, for one, had some difficulties with the HR Macau last year -- they were great at resolving the issues and now I sing their praises.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I will. They're listed in my OP.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Since Hyatt Corp isn't disclosing these "secret" resorts, who else will?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:56 am
pdb

Thanks for the info and the listings, Dakota. I'm glad (and not surprised) that Hyatt did the right thing in the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.