Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Hyatt Regency - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Vancouver Hyatt Regency - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 25, 19, 4:41 pm
  #316  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 12,269
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
I got mine comped on a cash stay but it was emphasized that this was an exception and not the rule.
If they can comp it, it tells me they can charge to room which means it should be covered by globalist benefit on eligible stays.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:44 pm
  #317  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,769
Why wouldn't it be charged to the room? It's their own parking garage.
caliform is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:58 pm
  #318  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
Posts: 6,696
I've stayed in some hotels where parking fees are chargeable to the room folio, but the hotel calls them "ineligible" for earning points. They claim that the parking garage is owned & operated by a separate company, and the hotel merely collects the fees from guests, then forwards them to said company!
Brendan is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 11:50 am
  #319  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, UA Premier Silver, Southwest A List,Spirit Lover
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I've stayed in some hotels where parking fees are chargeable to the room folio, but the hotel calls them "ineligible" for earning points. They claim that the parking garage is owned & operated by a separate company, and the hotel merely collects the fees from guests, then forwards them to said company!
What does that have to do with free parking for Globalists on award stays?
txhyattlvr is offline  
Old Jul 27, 19, 9:29 pm
  #320  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,328
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Any recent stays? Can anyone weigh in on conflicting reports of parking charges at this property? Have an upcoming full points stay as a Globalist - should I expect valet parking to be comped?
I've always received a parking pass for the self park area (garage) on award stays as recently as May. Never asked for Valet Parking.

Contrary to some posts here it's not their own garage, the facility is operated by imPark.
sch_flyer likes this.
skywalkerLAX is online now  
Old Jul 28, 19, 7:58 pm
  #321  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
Posts: 6,696
Originally Posted by lighthouse206 View Post


What does that have to do with free parking for Globalists on award stays?
It doesn't! I was responding to mentions by Caliform, Seawolf, and Sch_flyer of parking 'chargeable to the room.'
Brendan is offline  
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:27 am
  #322  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Any recent stays? Can anyone weigh in on conflicting reports of parking charges at this property? Have an upcoming full points stay as a Globalist - should I expect valet parking to be comped?
I've stayed at the Vancouver Hyatt Regency many times as a Diamond and now Globalist. As a guest you have two options of Parking payment. I should note that the garage connected to the Hyatt Regency is a "public" garage. To enter the garage you need to accept the parking ticket. Upon check-in you have the option to either pay at the public garage rate or the Hyatt rate which is billed to your room. The rates will vary according to night/day or weekday/weekend. The front desk will go through the various rates to allow you to choose the cheapest rate. I have not tried to Valet (which uses the same garage), but I have received free parking on point stays. For this, I chose the Hyatt parking rate and I made sure to remind the front desk of the points stay and my Globalist status. Basically they can only comp the parking if you choose the Hyatt rate... because the garage is a public garage.

In the end, don't by shy to escalate to the GM. Hope this helps!
VIT-B is offline  
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:06 am
  #323  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by VIT-B View Post
I've stayed at the Vancouver Hyatt Regency many times as a Diamond and now Globalist. As a guest you have two options of Parking payment. I should note that the garage connected to the Hyatt Regency is a "public" garage. To enter the garage you need to accept the parking ticket. Upon check-in you have the option to either pay at the public garage rate or the Hyatt rate which is billed to your room. The rates will vary according to night/day or weekday/weekend. The front desk will go through the various rates to allow you to choose the cheapest rate. I have not tried to Valet (which uses the same garage), but I have received free parking on point stays. For this, I chose the Hyatt parking rate and I made sure to remind the front desk of the points stay and my Globalist status. Basically they can only comp the parking if you choose the Hyatt rate... because the garage is a public garage.
In the end, don't by shy to escalate to the GM. Hope this helps!
Glad to hear that the property does comp parking for Globalists on award stays - typically, that includes valet if available, so I may just do that - with two kids, I don't want to schlep to and from the garage if I can help it!
sch_flyer is offline  
Old Jul 31, 19, 1:47 pm
  #324  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Glad to hear that the property does comp parking for Globalists on award stays - typically, that includes valet if available, so I may just do that - with two kids, I don't want to schlep to and from the garage if I can help it!
I was just there last week with three kids, and the valet service was super smooth and definitely made things easier. Love the junior suite they put us in. Two bathrooms and wonky long hallway separating the two connecting rooms.
ClarkGriswold is online now  
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:36 pm
  #325  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Switzerland
Programs: Hyatt LGLO
Posts: 2,232
Possible strike on Thursday, 12 September

Just a heads-up for anyone planing to stay here. Possible strike on Thursday, 12 September

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...n-impasse.html


VANCOUVER—Hotel workers at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver could walk off their jobs as early as Thursday after union members issued a strike notice months into a labour dispute over working conditions and wages.

The workers of the Hyatt are following in the footsteps of workers at Hotel Georgia that issued their strike notice in early August. Hotel Georgia employers followed with a lockout notice effective Aug. 22.

Other hotels part of the downtown hotel bargaining unit includes Westin Bayshore, Pinnacle and Four Seasons.



According to Unite Here Local 40, the Hyatt Regency staff have been without a contract for a year. The union stated on its website that roughly 1,500 hotel workers are affected by negotiations with the five hotels.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
59Impala is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:47 pm
  #326  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,328
Not sure how a strike could affect the HR YVR, I guess it depends on the type of employees who would walk out. I guess they could close down the lounge and provide Club Guests with a breakfast and free minibar which would have to be stocked just like they do it sometimes during the winter months. Housekeeping could be a bigger problem.

That being said I find it deplorable that the owners of this property can't provide their staff with proper contracts considering how the rates have shot up in recent years. I haven't stayed a single time when the published rates for this - let's face it - rather uninspiring business hotel were under 330 CAD.

The staff and the balcony rooms are the strongest factor for me why I stay here and not at the Sheraton Wall Centre. The Hyatt has had a very loyal staff base for years and that should be honoured by providing them with proper working conditions.
Brendan and 59Impala like this.
skywalkerLAX is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:36 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Charleston, SC, USA
Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
Posts: 6,696
Oh wow! During Vancouver Fringe Theatre Festival! I went to it in 2017, but I'm at home now.
Brendan is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:11 am
  #328  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,328
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Oh wow! During Vancouver Fringe Theatre Festival! I went to it in 2017, but I'm at home now.
No sure that really has any impact. It's still cruise season and the hotel has been PACKED all summer long.
skywalkerLAX is online now  
Old Sep 19, 19, 11:51 pm
  #329  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,406
From what I heard the strike causes a major chaos there
peter42 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:57 am
  #330  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Posts: 12,206
Originally Posted by peter42 View Post
From what I heard the strike causes a major chaos there
Checked in around 9 pm, skeleton crews mostly managers on duty. FD is very long lines for check in. No club we will be able to eat at restaurant, however it is limited server also.
karung99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: