FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/522096-hyatt-regency-vancouver-review-master-thread.html)

smilee Jun 21, 2006 12:29 pm

I stay fairly often. The front desk greet me by name before I even get to the counter - always impresses me! The hotel's location is very good! It is in the heart of town, close to great restaurants and entertainment.

I have always been given a regency club level room when they are open. I have only once been able to snag a suite and that was using a coupon. I don't think they have many suites, and they are pretty hard to come by.

The new rooms have new carpet, a restyled more modern layout and flat LCD tv's. I was told the regency club should be open soon.. The club staff are excellent as are the hotel staff.

I was surprised to find out so many people have had problems with parking on the street here. I often park on the street as I arrive about 8:00 pm and leave at about 9:00 am, so I use the free street parking all the time. I have never had any problems. Perhaps it is cars with "US" plates or "Rental" stickers that get broken into. Parking is very expensive in this area, and I think it is something like $25 cdn per night.

Pro's
Staff
Cheap point rate, I think 8000 per night

Con's
Cost per night in the summer
Parking rates high

jkc22 Jun 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Forgot the name .. it's a two-story venue, owner/director is an African-American. Excellent food, first class service.

Fish and Co or Lucy Mae Brown?

USAFAN Jun 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jkc22
Fish and Co or Lucy Mae Brown?

No, Joe Fortes

Welcome to Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House, located near the ultra-fashionable Robson Street, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. A favourite among locals, visitors and celebrities alike, Joe Fortes has been serving the highest quality seafood and chops since 1985. With live entertainment and more than 10 unique dining venues, we're the perfect spot for your next social or more intimate dining experience. Be our guest today and enjoy the true meaning of hospitality.
http://www.joefortes.ca/

peteropny Jun 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Pro's
Staff
Cheap point rate, I think 8000 per night

Con's
Cost per night in the summer
Parking rates high

Thanks for this post - I checked and it indeed is 8000 points per night - so I reserved it for my pre-cruise end of August - was planning on using stay certificates (at $165) since cheapest rates on hyatt.com was like $300.

Idranet Jul 7, 2006 11:50 am

New to Hyatt and would appreciate some insight from experienced members. We expect to be staying in Business Plan room in mid-September. Can someone tell me how this differs from Preferred View room? I know the site gives a nice description of the Preferred, but says almost nothing about the Business Plan rooms except they're on 30th floor, so it's difficult to compare.

Also, I cannot find any way to search for Club level rooms. How would I find out the price difference from Business? And, is it worth the difference?

Thanks!!

peteropny Jul 7, 2006 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Idranet
New to Hyatt and would appreciate some insight from experienced members. We expect to be staying in Business Plan room in mid-September. Can someone tell me how this differs from Preferred View room? I know the site gives a nice description of the Preferred, but says almost nothing about the Business Plan rooms except they're on 30th floor, so it's difficult to compare.

Also, I cannot find any way to search for Club level rooms. How would I find out the price difference from Business? And, is it worth the difference?

Thanks!!

I believe that at most Hyatt's any room can be made a Business Plan room - which includes free local calls, continental breakfast, and free high speed internet. Usually Regency Club Rooms (normally dedicated rooms) are slightly higher rate than the Business Plan rooms with access to the Regency Club (which has continental breakfast and appetizers in the evenings) - but no free local calls and no free high speed internet. Whether the additional cost is worth it to you depends on what your preferences are.

lalala Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am

We had a pretty good stay at the HR Vancouver on Friday and Saturday. We had a renovated room on the 27th floor (corner with a balcony). The room is fine, nicely decorated and the bed is very comfortable. The bathrooms look great and I love the showerhead in the middle of the tub. TH wasn't that taken, but then admitted it was okay. They delivered robes when we asked and refreshed our toiletries regularly.

They were apologetic about the state of the carpets in the hallways, they are atrocious and soon to be redone.

The things I didn't like were that that we must have been on a smoking floor because I could smell smoke while I was showering and that the lighting is all tied in to the main light switch, meaning if you wanted to read in bed, you would have to get up to turn off the light.

The RC looks exactly the same, nice staff and okay breakfast. We left at 8:30 in the am and didn't get back until 11 each night, so I didn't see any evening service.

We did manage to find on street parking both nights and our car was not molested in any way.

The tim hortons directly across from the entrance is a great thing.

lala

Cerberus Jul 25, 2006 3:34 pm

Something doesn't sound right with the last post. The Regency Club has been closed for quite a while. I'm a frequent Diamond traveller here. I just checked in last night for a 2 week trip and I got a rather large envelope of breakfast coupons to use as I need. The front desk did confirm that the RC is still closed and under renovations.

lalala Jul 25, 2006 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Something doesn't sound right with the last post. The Regency Club has been closed for quite a while. I'm a frequent Diamond traveller here. I just checked in last night for a 2 week trip and I got a rather large envelope of breakfast coupons to use as I need. The front desk did confirm that the RC is still closed and under renovations.

Okay, I am not hallucinating. I was there on the weekend and I received RC access and it was the same old crap - cold breakfast, coffee to go and an exceedingly loud tv that no one was watching. The 29th floor and we were in Vancouver. :rolleyes:

It was a weekend, does that help?

Vader Sep 29, 2006 9:15 am

Anyone have any updates on the renovations?

When I was there 4 months ago I had a room on the 8th floor and it was an old style room. 2 months ago I had a room on the 21st and it was renovated with the plasma TV, shower from the ceiling, etc. Has the whole hotel been completed yet? If not, what floors shoud I stay away from?

peteropny May 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by launchylaunchbos (Post 7736907)
Just bumping the thread to see if anyone has stayed at this property recently. Are all renovations complete?

This is not very recent but I was there late in August 2006, and the RC had reopened and the RC floor was completely renovated. I would think that at this point, the whole property has been done. Since your profile indicates that you are a Diamond, I think the chances of you being in a non-renovated room is virtually nil. Hopefully someone who has been there more recently can chime in.

Vader May 15, 2007 7:39 am

Originally Posted by launchylaunchbos (Post 7736907)
Just bumping the thread to see if anyone has stayed at this property recently. Are all renovations complete?

I believe that they are - our corporate rate got bumped up :) Just ask for a room on a high floor, as they did the renovations top-down. My last 2 stays there (August 2006 and October 2006) I have been in a renovated room.

lalala May 15, 2007 10:55 am

I would say that a year after they started they should have finished their renos. We're there again for the VFMF in July, I'll report back.

lala

365RoadWarrior May 15, 2007 12:58 pm

I was there in February. I didn't notice any renovations going on. My stay was perfect. Good gym. Fine Regency Club. Excellent hotel location.

lalala Jul 12, 2007 11:09 am

anyone recollect what the toiletries were? TH is not a fan of the white ginger, so I may just pack our own.