Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Vancouver - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:35 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jimmychang
What's a GPP card?
I'm assuming Gold Passport.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:07 am

I'm planning a two night stay here during the holidays, weather permitting. I have some suite upgrade certs to burn as well. Is the Deluxe Suite the "base" suite?

Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do/see, places to eat, etc.? From what I've read in this thread, there is plenty of shopping in the vicinity but I'd like to see some other sights. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:20 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmychang
What's a GPP card?
I assume a gold passport card (i.e., member of the Hyatt frequent traveler program). They sure don't volunteer the information about the free skytrain tickets, at least not to me!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenbo
I'm planning a two night stay here during the holidays, weather permitting. I have some suite upgrade certs to burn as well. Is the Deluxe Suite the "base" suite?

Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do/see, places to eat, etc.? From what I've read in this thread, there is plenty of shopping in the vicinity but I'd like to see some other sights. Thanks!
Vancouver is a good town for eating, if you do some research you should be able to find an ample selection, especially for seafood and Chinese.

I believe you can take the skytrain to the cross harbor ferry to a bus and visit the Capilano suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain, although I didn't do that.

For me, the Tilley Endurables store is a mandatory stop. It's run by a Tilley who is a relative of the company founders (whose store and factory is in Toronto). Tilley makes a famous strange looking hat, but for me the thing that really endures are their travel clothes. Before a whole bunch of annoying laws required them to change it, their washing instructions in their entirety read, "Give 'em hell!" The instructions may be gone but the words still apply.

Regarding the Hyatt, unless you really need the extra space of a suite, I would recommend that you save your suite upgrade to use elsewhere.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I'm looking forward to my stay. Assume you can then therefore get a SkyTrain ticket back to YVR? Thanks for this interesting info.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
As far as the suites, the hotel does have some "suites" which are just a connecting room. The connecting room has its king bed removed and a couch in its place.

It is a favourite of mine, and I will miss this hotel when I let my diamond lapse becuase of lack of value I see in the GP program. The staff is generally very good, and its location is terrific - it is in the heart of the city and walkable to everything. There are many restaurants, bars, pubs and entertainment close by. Also it is next to the skytrain station and only 2 blocks from the train to the airport (which takes only about 30 minutes).

The rates are much cheaper in the winter, but be aware that the weather can be quite wet from November to March.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I'm looking forward to my stay. Assume you can then therefore get a SkyTrain ticket back to YVR? Thanks for this interesting info.
Just ask for a Zone 2 ticket (CA$ 3.75), and they'll give it to you.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Think I am missing something. Is the train to / from YVR also called the SkyTrain or is that the name of the local metro? Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Thank you. Think I am missing something. Is the train to / from YVR also called the SkyTrain or is that the name of the local metro? Thanks.
SkyTrain is the name of Vancouver's Rapid Rail Transit system.

The Canada Line is the name of the line that connected YVR with Downtown Vancouver.

The Hyatt is a two block walk from Vancouver City Centre Station. It is across the street from Burrard Station, but that station services a different line (Expo Line).
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by kenbo

The Deluxe suite is a regular room with a parlor connector and is not worth using a Suite upgrade cert. Above that there are 10 Executive suites which Diamonds have been upgraded into when the hotel is at extremely high occupancy levels. 2 of the Executive suites are the hotel's Presidential Suites; 2 of them are neat Duplex suites.

As for eating, there is a highly rated Food Truck called Feastro on Thurlow and Cordova, across from the Olympic Torch (Jack Poole Plaze). It is about 3 blocks from the hotel. Just a block away is a mobile stand of JapaDog and right in front of the hotel on Saturdays is Bada Bing.

About 3 blocks in the opposite direction on Burrard and Smythe is SalaThai, one of Vancouver's oldest and well known Thai restaurants. Weekday lunch specials are hard to beat. Two blocks east of the hotel are Hawksworth in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and is one of the hottest tables in town for modern West Coast cooking. Across the street from Hawksworth is YEW in the Four Seasons with a stunning West Coast seafood menu. I can go on and on and on.....
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
Just a block away is a mobile stand of JapaDog
I HIGHLY recommend Japadog ^
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Vancouver is a good town for eating, if you do some research you should be able to find an ample selection, especially for seafood and Chinese.

I believe you can take the skytrain to the cross harbor ferry to a bus and visit the Capilano suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain, although I didn't do that.

For me, the Tilley Endurables store is a mandatory stop. It's run by a Tilley who is a relative of the company founders (whose store and factory is in Toronto). Tilley makes a famous strange looking hat, but for me the thing that really endures are their travel clothes. Before a whole bunch of annoying laws required them to change it, their washing instructions in their entirety read, "Give 'em hell!" The instructions may be gone but the words still apply.

Regarding the Hyatt, unless you really need the extra space of a suite, I would recommend that you save your suite upgrade to use elsewhere.
Originally Posted by luxury
The Deluxe suite is a regular room with a parlor connector and is not worth using a Suite upgrade cert. Above that there are 10 Executive suites which Diamonds have been upgraded into when the hotel is at extremely high occupancy levels. 2 of the Executive suites are the hotel's Presidential Suites; 2 of them are neat Duplex suites.

As for eating, there is a highly rated Food Truck called Feastro on Thurlow and Cordova, across from the Olympic Torch (Jack Poole Plaze). It is about 3 blocks from the hotel. Just a block away is a mobile stand of JapaDog and right in front of the hotel on Saturdays is Bada Bing.

About 3 blocks in the opposite direction on Burrard and Smythe is SalaThai, one of Vancouver's oldest and well known Thai restaurants. Weekday lunch specials are hard to beat. Two blocks east of the hotel are Hawksworth in the Rosewood Hotel Georgia and is one of the hottest tables in town for modern West Coast cooking. Across the street from Hawksworth is YEW in the Four Seasons with a stunning West Coast seafood menu. I can go on and on and on.....
Thank you both for your great recommendations!

I appreciate the insight into the suite upgrade certificate. At this time I may still use one since I don't have any other plans to use any before their expiration. I'll see what other trips pop up as my arrival date gets closer but I'll definitely keep your comments in mind. ^

JapaDog, SalaThai and Feastro all look great. At least I know I won't go hungry!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:32 pm

That was a great round of posts. Looking forward to my upcoming stay. Keep any and all info coming. In terms of a view or observation deck can anyone comment on this? I would think the 360 view would be amazing. On the Skytrain? How far can one travel outside the city? Anything interesting? Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:39 am

That was a great round of posts. Looking forward to my upcoming stay. Keep any and all info coming. In terms of a view or observation deck can anyone comment on this? I would think the 360 view would be amazing. On the Skytrain? How far can one travel outside the city? Anything interesting? Thanks.
http://www.translink.ca/
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I assume a gold passport card (i.e., member of the Hyatt frequent traveler program). They sure don't volunteer the information about the free skytrain tickets, at least not to me!
No duty to disclose. Did you ask?

I just took the SkyTrain map up to the GP area of the desk and said, "I need a little help figuring this out. Where are we, and where do I go to get tickets?"

The desk clerk replied, "the station is across the street, but we have a bunch of tickets here if you need them since you're a Diamond."

Oh, and sorry about the GPP confusion - I typed one too many Ps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.