Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Hyatt Regency - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Vancouver Hyatt Regency - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 23, 11, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
Just stayed there for the weekend. Everything is good except encountered a self-claimed "American attacked by Canadians in a coffee shop" and wanted to borrow money from me at the intersection just outside the hotel. Judging from his shrinking gum and blackened bleeding teeth, I think he is a drug-addict, so I turned him down and asked him to call the local police for help.
Old Aug 26, 11, 1:32 pm

How is weekend parking overthere these days? I think hotel had it at half price at some point in the past.
Trying to decide if it's worth renting a car at YVR or just booking one for a day in downtown. Traveling with kids therefore every small thing turns into a PITA.
Old Aug 26, 11, 9:08 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Take skytrain into town....stops close to hotel and is fast.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not a bad hotel but it is not memorable either. There are lots of small omissions and errors -- no newspaper delivery by default, slow replenishment of (only) cold dishes in the club room, limited renovation that looks cheaply done, typical dim energy-saving lighting, etc -- but they don't add up to a catastrophe. Instead, what you get is a decent hotel that is run by managers who never will end up being promoted to a Park Hyatt.

Location is excellent for tourism, right in the center of town and really close to a Skytrain station (which happens to run underground here).

To answer the question above regarding parking:

Weekend parking is cheaper if you don't need in and out privileges. Just don't give the ticket to the hotel and pay the regular garage rates. This will reduce 24 hours dead storage from $37 or so to $12. Note that the garage doesn't regard Friday night as a weekend (but Sunday night is). This adds $4 on Friday night.

I could stay here again but also might go exploring when I am next in town (which isn't very often -- too bad, as Vancouver is quite a nice place!).
Old Aug 28, 11, 9:39 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
Small changes I noticed on a stay this weekend:

-turn down service in our Executive Suite included one bottle of VOSS water bedside
-the suite had a Keurig tea and coffee machine

-key cards are now rfid type using thicker stock and a grey color scheme

-Regency Club has a new coffee system- much nicer than the airport lounge style coffee machine

I still think this is one of the better HR hotels -- service is quite good.
Old Aug 28, 11, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by luxury View Post
Small changes I noticed on a stay this weekend:

-turn down service in our Executive Suite included one bottle of VOSS water bedside
-the suite had a Keurig tea and coffee machine

-key cards are now rfid type using thicker stock and a grey color scheme

-Regency Club has a new coffee system- much nicer than the airport lounge style coffee machine

I still think this is one of the better HR hotels -- service is quite good.
Did you have h2o or regular ginger stuff in exec suite?
Old Aug 28, 11, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Did you have h2o or regular ginger stuff in exec suite?
The hotel has removed H2O it seems from Executive suites and have replaced them with the fancier Portico stuff. I actually really liked the H2O branded amenities and do not care for the new Portico stuff.
Old Aug 29, 11, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by luxury View Post
The hotel has removed H2O it seems from Executive suites and have replaced them with the fancier Portico stuff. I actually really liked the H2O branded amenities and do not care for the new Portico stuff.
Me too. We are in deluxe suite this time (which actually proved to be quite practical with 1 yr old twins) and they said only portico stuff was available - good to know they were honest.

We are back after 1.5 yr gap and the place is as good as it was during our past stays ( well aside from shower amenities). Lounge coffee machine is indeed quite nice. IMO this is the best mainstream chain property here and we'll continue to return.
Old Aug 29, 11, 1:30 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I was there at the same time as you folks, we should have had a mini-do!

I was in some kind of suite, don't know which kind, room number was 3015 if that helps. It was not the split-level kind this time, but it was large enough, just sparsely and inexpensively furnished (other than the bed, which is the usual excellent HR bed).

Also got 1 bottle of Voss each night for two people. Had the fancier Portico stuff the first night but it was replaced the second night with the cheaper stuff. Default towels is two sets for two people, had to ask for more.

Also had a Keurig machine but it took some playing around to get it to power on! They provided only one of each type of coffee/tea, which isn't so great for two people.

Even on further recollection and after reading the above comments, I'm still not overwhelmed by the hotel, but it was OK. I don't stay in that many HR's but my favorite on remains the HR Churchill in London and IMO this one doesn't come close to the Churchill.
Old Aug 29, 11, 11:21 am

Plan to be in London in March so I think it is time to try the Churchill - the last time I stayed there it was an IC!!
Old Sep 17, 11, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Hello. Can someone please comment more on the Skytrain? I will be on property early next month. I assume it is from YVR to "near" Hotel. Any and all information appreciated. Diamond treatment info also appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 11, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
Hello. Can someone please comment more on the Skytrain? I will be on property early next month. I assume it is from YVR to "near" Hotel. Any and all information appreciated. Diamond treatment info also appreciated. Thank you.
Take YVR to waterfront then transfer and go one more stop to burrard. You'll be right in front of hyatt. Very convenient and takes about 35-40 min total.

You can buy a 10-pack book of tickets at 7-11 downstairs in domestic terminal if you plan to use public transport and avoid paying YVR surcharge. Evenings and weekends it's a single zone everywhere.
Check Canada forum for details - there is a thread about skytrain.
Old Sep 17, 11, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:07 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Actually, you don't need to transfer to the different line.

If you take the City Center station, and exit onto Georgia Street, then turn left and walk three blocks, there it is...

Also, just stayed there and learned something cool....

They have free SkyTrain tickets at the desk. Just tell them what Zone you need, show them your GPP card, and they will hook you up.

The free tickets is what made the stay good for me. Other than that, I was not impressed at all with this property.

Last edited by immiLawyer; Sep 29, 11 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 29, 11, 1:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
What's a GPP card?

Originally Posted by immiLawyer View Post

They have FREE - FREE - FREE SkyTrain tickets at the desk. Just tell them what Zone you need, show them your GPP card, and they will hook you up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: