Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Getting around sold-out room issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to get one night at a hotel but it is booked out. if I expand it to a week-long stay the room becomes available for the night. Could I hold the weeklong stay and then call back an hour later and modify the reservation to just that one day? Would that work?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:45 pm

Fiirstly is it NYE you are after?
actually which hotel is it?

and NO you cannot book for one period then change to another expecting to be accommodated and certainly not for the week long price.

I am booked in melbourne OZ during the grand prix.

the price for 5 days is 250 inc breakky parking etc the price for 4 is 395 bare room. so I took the 5 days as it is very much cheaper. ^
I cannot then expect them to cancel one night and give me the 250 rate!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
It depends on the reason. I have managed to have this done at many hotels in the big four chains.. It starts with the situation you have.. I book what ever it takes to get me in.. I do make sure its cancellable.. and then call the elite line to see if I can change it to one night.. usually it takes me a couple try's to get this to work.. but it does work "most" of the time.. now I know if its a special event.. you can't do it.. but if its the run of the mill sell out.. or a convention.. again.. not a major one.. but something not that big you can work around this.. so just keep trying unless its a major event
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:41 pm

Twice I tried to book a Hyatt one night stay and the hotel was sold out.

I then asked if any space was available if I used Gold Passport Points to get a free night stay. Both times the space was then available and I got into the sold-out hotel on an award.

Weird....
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:44 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
If you are a diamond member, you can use the garanteed room option, although the prices will be pretty much rack rate for that one night
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by 747
Twice I tried to book a Hyatt one night stay and the hotel was sold out.

I then asked if any space was available if I used Gold Passport Points to get a free night stay. Both times the space was then available and I got into the sold-out hotel on an award.

Weird....
They have to hold a certain percentage of rooms for rewards. This is usually a good trick for getting in as often conventions or events don't attract those on points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.