Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Rate Guarantee problem...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Best Rate Guarantee problem...

I found a rate on Expedia that included the Sunshine on sale offer from hyatt the lowers the effective rate of the hotel to $205 per night by including two free nights during the stay. The best Hyatt has on their website is ~$260 and no Sunshine on Sale discounts for that date range and room type. However, they do offer sunshine on sale package on either side of the stay just not for that date range.

I called on the gurantee but they said this does not qualify because they consider the additions of the free night an amenity. However, he said if they were offering sunshine on sale for those days he would be more than happy to check it against best rate guarantee but since they don't he said the expedia rate doesn't qualify. This strikes me as odd. Either you are willing to compete against the rate with the free nights (i.e. with the so-called amenity) or you are not. Instead he is saying that they are willing to compete only when they know they can win. There website specifically states:

"If you find a lower rate on the Internet for the same hotel, room type, dates and length of stay, contact us at 1-888-96-HYATT (1-888-964-9288) or 402-593-5445. We'll match the rate. We'll also discount it by 20%...If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt Hotel ("Competing Rate") that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on www.hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay), then prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on www.hyatt.com, please call Hyatt Hotels & Resorts at 1-888-96 HYATT (1-888-964-9288) or 402-593-5445. "

He claims that this disclaimer gets Hyatt out of the agreement:

"Packaged rates that include taxes, service charges, meals, coupons, parking, services or other amenities."

Does anyone agree that they are wrong here? Any suggestions on how to rectify?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Does anyone agree that they are wrong here? Any suggestions on how to rectify?
I would have hard time accepting that a "free night" is an "amenity". But Hyatt not only gets to determine their own Ts&Cs but they get to define them whenever they can get away with it.

I hope I don't sound too cynical...I am still very much a Hyatt fan.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
They got me with the "packaged deal" language as well. Found a great rate for 2 nights at the London Hyatt for $507 including all taxes and 1,000 AA miles on AA.com. Best available hyatt rate was 165 BPS per night plus 17.5% VAT. Called and was told no because the rate included taxes. Booked the AA rate as with the taxes included it is a very good deal. Will call hotel in a few days to make sure Diamond status details are on the reservation.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt, United, Marriott
[QUOTE=SethLevy]Called and was told no because the rate included taxes. QUOTE]

TAXES constitute a PACKAGE!?!?

I'd kick up a stink if I were you.

Even if they don't change their stand, this kind of crap shouldn't be tolerated.

If Hyatt isn't going to honor the Best Rate guaruntee, they ought to just remove it from their site instead of playing games.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
[QUOTE=forcemejure]
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Called and was told no because the rate included taxes. QUOTE]

TAXES constitute a PACKAGE!?!?

I'd kick up a stink if I were you.

Even if they don't change their stand, this kind of crap shouldn't be tolerated.

If Hyatt isn't going to honor the Best Rate guaruntee, they ought to just remove it from their site instead of playing games.
I did kick up a stink, but it did no good. Hyatt says that any rate that includes tax, requires a minimum stay, or is found on an airline vacation website is excluded from the program.

In fact, when I called back to see if I would get a dif answer, the guy told me that a lot a people call about the guarantee but less than 30% actually win their claim. He says most people just give up.

I think the program is a scam and hyatt should be ashamed. Obviously the program tricks people into thinking that the hyatt.com rates are the lowest, when they are not always. For me, I will be making all my bookings through the americanexpress platinum desk. less money for hyatt as they wilkl need to pay amex commissions. that's what they get for playing games.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
I think the program is a scam and hyatt should be ashamed.
And I've never had a claim rejected. To each his own.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Upon my request that someone from Hyatt's executive office call me back about this matter and my perception that the BRG is a scam, I am pleased to report that I received a return phone call and the matter has been resolved to the complete satisfaction of all parties. !

I am looking forward to my stay at the Hyatt London and am pleased that I now have a personal contact within the Hyatt organization to contact if future issues arise.

While I still believe the BRG program needs signifcant refinement, time and time again, Hyatt has stepped up and made things right (and in some cases better than right).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:22 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Just tried to invoke the BRG for a stay at the Hyatt Regency Istanbul. Lowest rate on hyatt.com was 249 Euros. On www.istanbulhotelreservations.com, the rate is 240 Euros, but this didn't qualify because it includes breakfast.

It's only 9 euros, so not that big of a difference, but these "package" or "amenity" rules are still really annoying I think.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:12 pm
thc

[QUOTE=SethLevy;5073051]
Originally Posted by forcemejure
I did kick up a stink, but it did no good. Hyatt says that any rate that includes tax, requires a minimum stay, or is found on an airline vacation website is excluded from the program.

In fact, when I called back to see if I would get a dif answer, the guy told me that a lot a people call about the guarantee but less than 30% actually win their claim. He says most people just give up.

I think the program is a scam and hyatt should be ashamed. Obviously the program tricks people into thinking that the hyatt.com rates are the lowest, when they are not always. For me, I will be making all my bookings through the americanexpress platinum desk. less money for hyatt as they wilkl need to pay amex commissions. that's what they get for playing games.
Argh. For the first time in a while I found a much lower rate for a Hyatt hotel (the Hyatt Gainey Ranch), but the lower rate has taxes included, so it doesn't qualify. The rate I found on www.precisionreservations.com is $197, and the rate on hyatt.com is $249.

So irritating. The whole taxes is a benefit think is really annoying.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:37 pm

Expedia's guarantee is a lie

The EXPEDIA promise, including thei best rate guarantee is a joke.

After they charge your credit card you are on your own an d good luck.

SOurce: personal experience
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
....and your crusade against expedia continues.......

This thread is about HYATT'S best rate guarantee, not expedia.

But then again, you seem to do a search for any thread on FT that contains the word expedia and then continue the crusade.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:28 pm
thc

Originally Posted by Mary2e
....and your crusade against expedia continues.......

This thread is about HYATT'S best rate guarantee, not expedia.

But then again, you seem to do a search for any thread on FT that contains the word expedia and then continue the crusade.
yeah, i was wondering what that had to do with Hyatt.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 9:30 am

Anyone got any luck on the BRG recently?

Tried to invoke one recently, but because the rate includes the breakfast, Hyatt refuses to honor it.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:07 pm

Thumbs down

Last edited by nonyflyer; Aug 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.