FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Grand Hyatt SF vs. Park Hyatt SF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/495767-grand-hyatt-sf-vs-park-hyatt-sf.html)

rvaccha Nov 22, 2005 10:50 am

Grand Hyatt SF vs. Park Hyatt SF

Hi,

Me and my two nephews are visiting San Francisco for a couple of days this week over Thanksgiving. Two of us are coming from the east coast and one from the west coast. I was in SF about a year ago, and stayed at the Marriott SF (near Powell Street) which was very convenient.

This time, I have reservations at the Grand Hyatt and the Park Hyatt. The rates at the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt are comparable due to some industry discounts that I received.

There will be three adults sharing one room with 2 double beds.

I was wondering if you could suggest a pick between these two hotels.

Basically we want to be cental to the BART, Trolley, etc. so that we can do some local sightseeing as well as take day trips to the Wineries etc.

Are the rooms at the GH reasonable in terms of comfort, size?

How 'far' is the PH from the Powell/Market street area.

Any accomodation suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
RJ

toolz Nov 22, 2005 11:18 am

Park Hyatt SF

I haven't stayed at the Grand Hyatt but the Park Hyatt is primarily a business hotel near the Embarcadero Center. It may be fairly dead around the hotel during Thanksgiving but the facilities themselves would make this a no-brainer for me. Contemporary decor and great service. Lobby has a small footprint and rooms might not be as large as what you might get at the Grand Hyatt.

It's a nice hotel, probably much nicer than the Grand Hyatt (definitely nicer than the Marriott).

There is a nearby BART station but you are probably 2/3 or 3/4 of a mile away from the Powell/Market street area you know. However, I would suggest checking out the Ferry Building which is a fairly short walk from the hotel.

If you like an area that has more of a touristy feel, you could try the Westin St. Francis which is right in the heart of Union Square or even venture up to Fisherman's Wharf.

forcemejure Nov 22, 2005 12:12 pm

The Grand Hyatt is literally on Market Square, right in the middle of the action. For three adults, you're better off at the Hyatt than the Westin. While it has a great lobby and service, the standard rooms at the Westin have ONE double bed.

That said, I also prefer the Park Hyatt. They upgrade Diamonds to Jr. Suites, have a great breakfast, and complimentary car service. ^ Yes, the surrounding area is dead after 5PM, but its about a 10 min walk to Market Square or a 3 min cab ride.

I've had problems with cleanliness and service at the Grand Hyatt, but even if those issues are resolved, its still just a business hotel in a great location.

Hope you have a great trip!

:D

rvaccha Nov 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I am still confused, obviously the PH seems to be more luxorious than the GH. My two main concerns are:

a) Location - my two nephews are 18 and 20. Most likely once we get ready and leave the room, we would only return in the evening. However, we do not want to be too far from restaurants, shops, attractions.

b) Size of room - which hotel typically has larger rooms with two double beds? I do not have any status, thus I do not anticipate an upgrade.

Any final advice? I need to finalize the reservation in a couple of hours.

Thanks,
RJ

holtju2 Nov 22, 2005 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by rvaccha
a) Location - my two nephews are 18 and 20. Most likely once we get ready and leave the room, we would only return in the evening. However, we do not want to be too far from restaurants, shops, attractions.

b) Size of room - which hotel typically has larger rooms with two double beds? I do not have any status, thus I do not anticipate an upgrade.

It really depends what your preferences are.

The Grand Hyatt is in a better location but not as luxurious as Park Hyatt.

The Marriott IMHO is a total dump. I was there for a one night last summer and will not return unless they rebuild the hotel.

If you are Diamond the Grand Hyatt's RC has beautiful views of San Francisco and I like the honor bar in the evening. Because you do not have any status with Hyatt I don't see any differences on the actual rooms between the Park and Grand. Park's regular rooms are not great.

bob95409 Nov 22, 2005 1:42 pm

Grand would be the best choice. I've probably stayed 20+ nights this year at the Grand. While I love the luxury of the Park, the location of the Grand cannot be beat. We were at the Grand on Thursday night and they were decorating the Christmas tree in Union Square. Probably will have the lighting this weekend.
Enjoy your stay.
By the way, the weather has been great this past week.
Bob

SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime Nov 22, 2005 2:20 pm

Hyatt Embarcadero??

Let me throw in an alternative: the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero.

Advantages Great location, great views, 2 minute walk to ferry building, on a cable car line + Bart. Most rooms are reasonable size and have great views. Treat Diamonds very well. Odd, but functional RC on top floor.

Disadvantages 60s glorified Embassay Suites look! Rooms in the back can be small and with poor views (so select carefully). Large, convention hotel.

leisure warrior Nov 22, 2005 3:54 pm

Despite the superior location of the Grand Hyatt, I really consider it a rather unexciting convention-type hotel. The Park Hyatt is much nicer, and walking distances aren't bad to get to livelier areas. Embarcadero is a nice property, but even more distant from where the action is.

nologic Nov 24, 2005 9:35 am

I prefer the PH by a considerable margin.

When people are talking about the "location" of these two hotels, keep in mind that they are maybe 10+/- blocks from each other, it's not like you're talking about crossing the city. I have walked many times from Union Square, or Chinatown (very close), or the shops, entertainment and cafes of Embarcadero Center (closest)...no big deal. Stay at the better property.