FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Century Hyatt Tokyo vs. Park Hyatt Tokyo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/494905-century-hyatt-tokyo-vs-park-hyatt-tokyo.html)

AndrewNewOrleans Nov 19, 2005 7:22 pm

Century Hyatt Tokyo vs. Park Hyatt Tokyo

Hello. I will be in Tokyo next August for six nights. I'm really not sure where to stay! Is it a better value to be in a Club room at the Century Hyatt Tokyo or a regular room at the Park Hyatt? I know the Park Hyatt Tokyo is the Park Hyatt Tokyo but is a regular room really that much better than a Club room at the Century Hyatt considering the price difference?? I know both hotels are within walking distance of each other. Any suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RichardInSF Nov 19, 2005 9:48 pm

Hey, hey, welcome to Flyertalk, Andrew!

Paid stay or award travel? If paying, what is the difference in price? How meaningful is the price difference to you? What kind of hotel do you usually stay in? These are all factors that will help us give you the right advice.

Generally speaking though, even though there is no Regency Club at the Park Hyatt Tokyo, there is no other Hyatt I've ever stayed at that compares to it. If it's award travel, go for the PH without a second thought.

trd Nov 20, 2005 2:53 am

if you are paying the Century is a fair buy, but the Park is by fair the better hotel. This has been discussed frequently before -- do a "search". Welcome to Flyer Talk.

RayinMaui Nov 20, 2005 10:08 am

I think I'm one of the few people here who struggles with the same decission.

The Century Hyatt is a wonderful hotel and having the Regency Club is a very nice option.

But if you're getting one trip, you can't beat the Park Hyatt Tokyo! ^

When doing a business trip I've gone for the Century Hyatt several times with associates and they thought it was a GREAT hotel. They loved the Regency club. One said it was one of the best hotels he has ever stayed in. (Of course, he didn't stay in the PHT.)

If you do stay at the PHT, check out the basement shopping area for great restaurants. Actually, check it out either way. It's about a three block walk.

Have a great time either way! :)

AndrewNewOrleans Nov 20, 2005 1:59 pm

To add a little more information… I was able to get a room at the Century Hyatt for 180 and upgraded it to a Club room. At the Park Hyatt I can get a room for around 330 a night. As for me...the hotels I usually stay at can range anywhere from a Comfort Inn to the Four Seasons. I don’t need to be pampered and all that but it is nice to stay at a great hotel no doubt about it. This hotel will be on my dime and I am willing to pay extra if it is really really worth it otherwise I am more than happy to be at the Century for 180 bucks. I did do a search before I posted this simply out of fear that I would get the dreaded "Do a search" reply and what I found were posts from 2001 until present. Maybe I am just not searching correctly! From what I understand the Century Hyatt Club rooms were just renovated so that added to my motivation to find out some more current opinions. Thanks so much for your interest in assisting me. Take care.

RichardInSF Nov 20, 2005 2:11 pm

I think for 330 a night you get the lowest level of PH room which is nice but rather small for that hotel, although still large by Tokyo standards. I prefer the next level room (Park Deluxe) which goes for about Y4-5,000/night more. If you are a diamond, you may get upgraded, but it isn't guaranteed at this hotel. You will also get a modest continental breakfast in your room as well if you are a diamond.

Elsewhere in FT, people have commented that not all Club rooms at the CH are remodeled and the older rooms are not so hot, so you need to check on whether you're getting a remodeled room. For 180, probably not guaranteed.

Is the difference worth it? In the end, it will depend on whether staying at a great hotel is worth $150 a night more (plus, in both cases, 10% service and approx 7% tax).

best Nov 20, 2005 4:02 pm

One reason to stay at the Century:it is very close to major subway station.

Originally Posted by AndrewNewOrleans
Hello. I will be in Tokyo next August for six nights. I'm really not sure where to stay! Is it a better value to be in a Club room at the Century Hyatt Tokyo or a regular room at the Park Hyatt? I know the Park Hyatt Tokyo is the Park Hyatt Tokyo but is a regular room really that much better than a Club room at the Century Hyatt considering the price difference?? I know both hotels are within walking distance of each other. Any suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rambuster Nov 20, 2005 4:10 pm

If price does not matter the obvious choice is the Park Hyatt.
If it does matter, then don't go for the Century Hyatt, but go for the Tokyo Hilton.
It is much better than the Century Hyatt and just across the street. It is also within walking distance to the subway and also has a free shuttle bus to Shinjuku station.

With a bit of luck (room facing the right direction and a clear day) you can get a nice view of Mount Fuji from one of the top floors. (I guess this also aplies to the other hotels too..)

SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime Nov 20, 2005 4:14 pm

I've posted on this in the Japan forum, so this may be a bit of a repeat.

I stayed with my kids in two rooms at the Century Hyatt this past August. We had non-redone rooms, but they were fine. The RC is superb: good food, very large, but divided up into smaller rooms, recently tastefully redone, and a free booze happy hour. :p

The hotel itself has the feel of a 60s Las Vegas spectacular, over the top, and not at all tastefully done. Except for the RC, which was really quite nice.

The hotel is about a 10 to 12 minute talk to Shinjuku station, and the hotel runs a shuttle every 20 minutes. Be warned: August is hot and humid. We enjoyed being in Tokyo at that time, but you just end up doing less in a day than you think you'll be able to. But nights are great!

Ask for a room on the park (west side). Normally I like to be high up, but the club floors are lower down, and that was fine. The rooms are good size, even by U.S. standards. We had wired high speed internet. Power is 100v, 50 cycle, with U.S. style plugs (two pronged, not three, so you may need an adapter, which the hotel supplied, if you have grounded plugs).

We visited the PHT, and it is quite impressive. However, it's in an even more remote part of Shinjuku, which I found depressing at night, and in walking from the CHT to the PHT, was the only time I felt nervous walking in Tokyo.

best Nov 21, 2005 2:50 pm

Great, helpful post by SoMany.
Then if you would get major benefit from the Lounge that is in favor of the Century, since Park does not have one.
The subway station I was referring to was the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building one: Tochomae, which is very modern, clean and less hot in August and it is less than two minutes walk from the Century.

SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime Nov 22, 2005 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by best
The subway station I was referring to was the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building one: Tochomae, which is very modern, clean and less hot in August and it is less than two minutes walk from the Century.

Good point. We used Shinjuku station.

If you need good pointers on what to do in Tokyo, the "Featured Destinations: Tokyo" forum has some great stuff. See also the United airlines three perfect days Tokyo.