Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HRs in Merida, Villahermosa and Cancun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I recently visited the ancient Mayan cities at Tulum, Chichen Itza, Uxmal and Palenque in Mexico and while so doing I managed to clock up a few FFNs at the Hyatt Regency Merida, the Hyatt Regency Villahermosa, and the two Hyatts in Cancun.

There are serveral threads and posts addressing the Hyatt Regency Cancun and the sister property Hyatt Canun Caribe; so I will not report on these properties other than to mention that as a Diamond, I was upgraded to the Regency Club at both properties (incl a very nice two room Villa at the HCC). I also received a welcome amenity at both properties. Both the HRC and the HCC are showing their age (circa 1982) and are both due for extensive renovations. As other posters have noted, the two Hyatts are NOT the best value for a vacation in Cancun.

The Hyatt Regency Merida is a modern high rise (289 rooms and 17 stories) property which is located about 2 km from downtown Merida near the Paseo Montejo which has many shops, museums and attractions. The hotel is opposite the Hotel Fiesta Americano and a bus station with convenient connections to Canun, Chichen Itza and Villahermosa. The property has several restaurants and a fitness center and the Regency Club rooms are located on levels 15, 16 & 17.

As a diamond, I was upgrades to the RC and given the choice of a welcome amenity including a full bottle of Mexican wine. The RC breakfast was "adequate" but not at all memorable. The evening service alsio was not memorable but a good range of (free) drinks were available on request. My only serious complaint was that the staff seemed to be more interested in watching the TV (which was also very loud) and sometimes it took just a little effort to get their attention.

The price of the hotel was reasonable (about $85 for two); the location was great; the facilities were comfortable and everything in the room (incl the A/C) worked they way that they should have.

The Hyatt Regency Villahermosa is a tired (possibly re-branded) high rise property with 207 rooms located near downtown Villahermosaa. The hotel location leaves a lot to be desired as it a little out of the way of an "action" and as there are no nearby restaurants, you are restricted to the hotel for meals. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and the rooms have all of the fittings that you would expect of a Hyatt Regency.

The Regency Club is a converted suite and is most probably one of the smalles that I have seen. The RC has interesting hours: 6:30 am to 9:30 am and 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. The breakfast spread was just adequate and the evening spread was a little less than adequate. Although free drinks were offered on a self-serve basis, the suppy was VERY limited and all of the beer had been exhausted by 7:00 pm and the only guests were my son and myself

As a diamond, I was upgraded to the RC but no amenity was offered - even after asking.

Thois is a "tired" property and I would strongly recommended that you stay at the Hilton should you ever need to visit Villahermosa.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Thank you for the reviews.

I have a warm place in my heart for the Hyatt Regency Merida. While it is a sweat-inducing walk to the center of town and the rooms are a little tired (as of last year), the location near the Paseo Montejo is pleasant, the pool area is nice (when it's not too busy), and the restaurant's breakfast spread is great (if you don't want to eat in/don't have access to the RC.)

Last edited by snorkmaster; Oct 11, 2005 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Any more recent reviews of HR Villahermosa?

Curious if anyone's been here since 2005 and cares to comment. Touring Mexico and thinking of doing a stay soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.