Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Johannesburg (formerly Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Hello,
Any recent reports from anyone who has visited the lounge?
thanks

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Checked in earlier today at 11 AM and both rooms I had were ready. Have two king rooms on the 9th floor with roll away beds in each.
Hotel is really pretty and well kept up. Common areas are much more modern than the rooms, but they are certainly clean, fairly up to date and functional...no complaints.
The staff has been nothing short of wonderful. During check in the bell men introduced themselves to my kids and have cracked jokes with them every time we pass them and call them by name...they're getting a real kick out of it.
My youngest one has nut allergies and is a pretty picky eater, so when 5 of us decided to make dinner out of the apps and cocktails in the lounge...very impressive by the way...I ordered room service and had it delivered to the lounge. No problems, no hesitation and done with a huge smile. Can't say enough wonderful things about this staff!
Connected to a nice mall which gave us some place to walk around after lounging by the pool for a bit...just hear for the night as we leave for the Kruger area for a safari tomorrow.
Only negative is the distance from the airport...solid 30-40 minute trip. But for 8,000 points, I would stay here again in a heart beat!
Really impressed!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Lounge is solid for a regency and super convenient. Literally was a few steps from the door. Very friendly staff. Decent wine selection at night. Breakfast is a bit light on options.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:48 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
great!
how was the location?

Originally Posted by footastic
Lounge is solid for a regency and super convenient. Literally was a few steps from the door. Very friendly staff. Decent wine selection at night. Breakfast is a bit light on options.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by frank_10b
great!
how was the location?
frank - it took you three months to come back and look for your answer??

It's next to the Gautrain, next to a mall, near lots of bars/restaurants. What do you want to know about the location?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:06 am

I’m Glob. Checked in today at 09:00. Room was ready by 09:45. I would say room in need of refreshment, not dire. But holy smokes, the staff! Effortless elegance all around. Front desk beyond courteous and doorman proactively kept my bags till room was ready - didn’t have to ask. So the restaurant/bar staff is a very high caliber in the way they approach customer interactions. Nothing about where is your credit card or who are you. Just sign the itemized bill and tell them the room number. But the kicker was this. Regency Club down for renovations so property is dealing with it in this way. Aside from free, full bfast in the restaurant (which I’ve seen before), then a whole printed Globalist Regency Club evening menu of canapés and beverages in the bar was presented in lieu of actual RC. Of course with tasting notes and heavy pours for the wines. Just class act from a property that gets it!!

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/d3988350-0ddf-41f0-b96c-6a77d6aa703e[/img]

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Jan 12, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This hotel is now stated on its website as closed until 31 Oct 2021. It seems a little extreme given the vaccine progress.

Does anyone know if this is being driven by other factors (such as a refurb)?

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Nov 30, 2020 at 5:49 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
This hotel is now stated on its website as closed until 31 Oct 2021. It seems a little extreme given the vaccine progress.

One can only hope because it's urgently needed.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
One can only hope because it's urgently needed.
what is urgently needed? The refurb or the reopening? :-)
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
what is urgently needed? The refurb or the reopening? :-)
The refurb. Then again it was luxury compared to what awaited me at the Sheraton Pretoria.
HFHFFlyer and solewalker like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:42 am

The refurb was planned for 2017, in the days that they were running with 90% occupancy. They're in the middle of an 18-month long forced closure, with zero income, and the prospect of severely diminished business travel (which is their lifeblood) for the forseeable future.

I think the chances of a refurb happening now are somewhere very close to zero...
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
The refurb was planned for 2017, in the days that they were running with 90% occupancy. They're in the middle of an 18-month long forced closure, with zero income, and the prospect of severely diminished business travel (which is their lifeblood) for the forseeable future.

I think the chances of a refurb happening now are somewhere very close to zero...
The best time for doing a renovation as it currently doesn't affect business. The owners should have reserves built up for this purpose since it's more than overdue.

Otherwise they can just as well shut shop and de-flag for good.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:26 am

How much reserves do you think that the owners should have built up? Now closed until April 1, 2022...

Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:07 am

And now closed 'until further notice'

I know that it's not the greatest Hyatt out there, but I've done probably 50 stays over the last 9 years, and I'm sad to think that I won't be back again... a lot of familiar faces out of work.

Likely to switch to the new Voco or 54 on Bath rather than either of the other Hyatt properties in town..
Old May 12, 2023, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
And now closed 'until further notice'

I know that it's not the greatest Hyatt out there, but I've done probably 50 stays over the last 9 years, and I'm sad to think that I won't be back again... a lot of familiar faces out of work.

Likely to switch to the new Voco or 54 on Bath rather than either of the other Hyatt properties in town..
Still closed for all dates I've checked, through November 2023. Any information on the future of this property? Thanks.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:53 am

No clue, but I swung past last time I was down (Feb) and it was very closed, rolls of barbed wire all around the parking circle at the front. I'm down again next week and will take a pic if I remember.

I stayed a night at the Voco last time I was down, and it's fine - same easy access to the Firs and the Gautrain, much much buzzier bar and restaurant, but no peaceful green space outslde . I've generally switched to AirBnB now in JHB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.