Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Excellent detail, thank you, MSPEconomist and Aventine.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Excellent detail, thank you, MSPEconomist and Aventine.
You're welcome. Enjoy Seoul and Korea!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I was not sure which thread to put this in, but I am curious if anyone had any strong opinions staying at either Park Hyatt Seoul or Grand Hyatt from a standpoint of better tourist area. A bunch of us are going to the Presidents Cup this October, and while I have been there before on business, I've never played the roll of tourist, so not sure which hotel we should stay at. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I was not sure which thread to put this in, but I am curious if anyone had any strong opinions staying at either Park Hyatt Seoul or Grand Hyatt from a standpoint of better tourist area. A bunch of us are going to the Presidents Cup this October, and while I have been there before on business, I've never played the roll of tourist, so not sure which hotel we should stay at. Any thoughts?
Well the President's Cup is being hosted in Songdo, Incheon so the closest Hyatt to there would be GH Incheon. For being a tourist, I think GH Seoul is better for major tourist places north of the river like all the palaces, Namdaemun, Insadong, traditional markets and much more. PH Seoul is close to COEX and Bongeunsa temple but that's pretty much it. You'll have to use the subway to get up north of the river for a lot of tourist things.

I think if you want to be in Seoul then being at GH Seoul is way better because it's also closer to the highway towards Incheon. Down Hannam daegyo and onto Olympic Expressway.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regarding the bus in from ICN, what I've done is find a Hyatt rep at arrivals, any Hyatt rep, doesn't matter what Hyatt it is for, and tell them I am a PH guest who is taking the bus to the city air terminal. Both times I've done this, the PH van has been waiting for me at the air terminal.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Very helpful info to you both, thanks. ICN GH is booked on awards that weekend and I was going to use some points for the friends, so its out, I am leaning towards the GH because of location, but I still do not like the hotel as much as the PH. Still on the fence. Any further info appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
Very helpful info to you both, thanks. ICN GH is booked on awards that weekend and I was going to use some points for the friends, so its out, I am leaning towards the GH because of location, but I still do not like the hotel as much as the PH. Still on the fence. Any further info appreciated.
There's a Korean Air airport limo from ICN to PH as well. Email jeremy.song @Hyatt.com and ask for him (GH ICN Director of Rooms) to open some awards for you. They have tons of rooms and it's a much better location for you to see the golf.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Aventine
There's a Korean Air airport limo from ICN to PH as well. Email jeremy.song @Hyatt.com and ask for him (GH ICN Director of Rooms) to open some awards for you. They have tons of rooms and it's a much better location for you to see the golf.
Aventine, I have been hesitant in saying this because I was hoping you would come to realize this yourself.

I think exposing the emails and names of General Manager/Director of Rooms (i.e., GH Seoul, PH Seoul and PH Busan) and telling forum members to contact them directly for absurd matters (e.g., opening up awards, upgrading to diplomat suites using DSU) is unreasonable, intrusive and unethical. The higher management is there to ensure the smooth operation of the hotel. If you really know them well, you would know that they are really busy people and would greatly appreciate if people don't send them regular emails asking for special treatment. Special treatment is reserved for special guests and it is called 'special' for a reason.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kuponuts
Aventine, I have been hesitant in saying this because I was hoping you would come to realize this yourself.

I think exposing the emails and names of General Manager/Director of Rooms (i.e., GH Seoul, PH Seoul and PH Busan) and telling forum members to contact them directly for absurd matters (e.g., opening up awards, upgrading to diplomat suites using DSU) is unreasonable, intrusive and unethical. The higher management is there to ensure the smooth operation of the hotel. If you really know them well, you would know that they are really busy people and would greatly appreciate if people don't send them regular emails asking for special treatment. Special treatment is reserved for special guests and it is called 'special' for a reason.
I never said to email for an upgrade to Diplomat suite. That's absurd because I don't even get or ask for that myself. Also, I don't know anyone personally at PH Seoul and dont have any contacts to share. Never met the GM once or had any contact. The only person's email I know is the executive chef and I've never posted that here. I don't recall posting the GMs for GH Seoul or PH Busan either. I may have said their names in text but that's it.

Most people asking are Diamond members in need of help for their stay. Omaha doesn't always have the answers. Hyatt Concierge doesn't always either.

For example, one time a member wanted to know if the Park Twin suite was the only DSU for PH Busan. The Park exec suite would be more ideal and I put him in touch with the departed Mr. Wagner. He could have asked on site but there would always be a chance that they're all gone at that time. The management names are also common information on the internet (Google) and those people are more than willing to help guests have a great stay with their hotel. They don't get enough hands on interaction with Diamonds or English speaking guests since most guests are a) Koreans and b) afraid or don't speak English.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
...is unreasonable, intrusive and unethical

....They don't get enough hands on interaction with Diamonds or English speaking guests since most guests are a) Koreans and b) afraid or don't speak English.
Right, wrong, un/ethical, etc...I won't weigh into those issues, but Aventine I have always appreciated your advice on FT about all things hotels & travels within Korea.^

I have found most of the management or Senior front line staff's English language skills in the GH, PH or Westin branded SK hotels, very proficient. Even the room service/ house staff, I can get by fairly well.

Keep the informative advice coming please.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Regarding the bus in from ICN, what I've done is find a Hyatt rep at arrivals, any Hyatt rep, doesn't matter what Hyatt it is for, and tell them I am a PH guest who is taking the bus to the city air terminal. Both times I've done this, the PH van has been waiting for me at the air terminal.
Where do you find a Hyatt representative upon arrival at ICN other than the bus driver for the ICN GH?

BTW, asking about the shuttle bus to the GH ICN at a general airport information desk resulted in getting wrong (or at best badly out of date) information about the schedule. I was told the wait would be over an hour (it really runs about every fifteen minutes throughout the day) and that I should take a general airport shuttle bus instead that stops close to a side door to the GH (versus the GH's own shuttle that stops right at the front door of both buildings). I mentioned this to the GH concierge, but I don't have confidence that the GH was able to correct this.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvFclass
...is unreasonable, intrusive and unethical

Right, wrong, un/ethical, etc...I won't weigh into those issues, but Aventine I have always appreciated your advice on FT about all things hotels & travels within Korea.^

I have found most of the management or Senior front line staff's English language skills in the GH, PH or Westin branded SK hotels, very proficient. Even the room service/ house staff, I can get by fairly well.

Keep the informative advice coming please.
Haha the Korean local guests' English skills being poor or nonexistent. NOT Senior management. It would be pretty bad if senior management didn't know a lick of English at Western chain hotels!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where do you find a Hyatt representative upon arrival at ICN other than the bus driver for the ICN GH?

BTW, asking about the shuttle bus to the GH ICN at a general airport information desk resulted in getting wrong (or at best badly out of date) information about the schedule. I was told the wait would be over an hour (it really runs about every fifteen minutes throughout the day) and that I should take a general airport shuttle bus instead that stops close to a side door to the GH (versus the GH's own shuttle that stops right at the front door of both buildings). I mentioned this to the GH concierge, but I don't have confidence that the GH was able to correct this.

This is from the GH ICN website straight and I believe it's correct. The berth is on the second platform after crossing the crosswalk.

By Airport Shuttle
After arriving at Incheon International Airport, take a free airport shuttle at gate 3 or 12 on the 3rd floor (departure floor) every 8-12 minutes.
* Journey time is only three minutes from Incheon International Airport.
* First 5:35 AM, last 11:28 PM from gate 3

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 17, 2015 at 6:39 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Haha the Korean local guests' English skills being poor or nonexistent. NOT Senior management. It would be pretty bad if senior management didn't know a lick of English at Western chain hotels!
Sometimes the local staff at "Western" Chains surprise me. In TPE this comes to mind without naming names. Okay I stop trolling now.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Sometimes the local staff at "Western" Chains surprise me. In TPE this comes to mind without naming names. Okay I stop trolling now.
I've heard China is especially bad . However, Koreans put a lot into English education for a job. There are some who still struggle but the vast majority will be passable/good or even great. The servers at PH's Cornerstone come to mind as quite English capable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.