Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Hi,
will stay there in august.
How about parking, any good options than the 33 USD onsite valet parking?
Yes, there is a nearby parking garage on 17th street about a block away that charges
$8.00 daily.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:18 am
Used to be hamajicky

I think I had the same room Astrophsx had. Which was nice--a free suite upgrade from a regular room! While kind of bland, I liked this hotel. The room had these little nightlights under the nightstand that were motion activated. The bathroom had one too. I had no issue with water pressure. My only problem was the construction noise at night.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hello - as a Hyatt Plat using a DSU for a stay in a few weeks would I have club/breakfast access if suite upgrade clears? In town for wife's x-0 birthday. Is the GM receptive to special occasions requests? Would the HR be recommended over this? My other choice is the a Four seasons at a decently competitive rate.

Thank you

Thanks,

Last edited by Duffman; Aug 10, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
This property is in good nick. Perhaps it has been refurbished recently or maybe it just knows how to look after itself. Either way, I was very pleased with my five night stay here last month.

There was no bellman to assist me when I arrived about 11pm but check-in was otherwise fine. I was offered the 4pm check-out and was upgraded to a corner king room which was large with a king bed, large desk, plenty of luggage space and a large sofa chair with footstool. There was no tub which surprised me for a Grand but the shower itself was the size of one and from memory had a rain showerhead. The room had one very large, long window with electric shades, one blackout and one sheer, both of which could be adjusted to 1/4 intervals. As mentioned above there are motion sensor lights under the bedside tables and in the bathroom which is great when you make that mid-night run to the toilet. There was no 'green card' for reusing towels which was disappointing and they were replaced twice a day, despite being rehung.

The Grand Club lounge was mixed. Breakfast was only available there and on my first two mornings it was a shambles. It looked like a group of school kids had gone through just before I arrived. There were dirty dishes on the tables and some had food scraps not on the plates but on the tables themselves. Several of the dishes at the small buffet had been exhausted. Strangely the Club's kitchen area is open. From the buffet it's about three metres to the washing up sink and dishwasher where the solitary lounge attendant would scrape plates and load the machine. Very odd. I also saw a number of people treat the lounge like a 7/11, taking multiple drinks from the fridge and heading back to their rooms. I heard one guest ask the lounge guy if he could take a Coke to his room and the response was "yeah, absolutely".

Otherwise it's a very nice lounge that is nicely furnished in darker wood tones with a couple of large TVs, several different choices of seats and a counter top, like a bar. There was limited reading material. In the evenings there's a good selection of alcoholic beverages at token prices (eg. $3 or $4) which is self-serve. The canapés were very nice but there wasn't a lot.

Laundry was expensive but the thing that almost floored me was "$2.50 fuel surcharge will be added to your order". Wow. First airlines now hotels. What's next, a fuel surcharge for the bellman and housekeepers to drive to work? I've never seen that before and it appeared really silly. Similarly, room service added a $2.50 "tray charge" plus 20% automatic gratuity. More common but it gets me every time. That's why they call it room service!

The gym was basic with a focus on cardio equipment. Fortunately, the Colorado Athletic Club's downtown Denver branch is just a two minute walk from the hotel and can be used for just $10 with a voucher from the front desk. It's huge and has everything. The hotel pool is open until 9pm.

I took the Super Shuttle from the airport for about $20-odd and on the return the bellman negotiated me a rate with a driver who'd been waiting in the driveway for a fare to the airport as he needed to be there for another job. That fare was $40.

It's a very nice property in what in my view is true Grand Hyatt style. I'd happily return.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by danger
Fortunately, the Colorado Athletic Club's downtown Denver branch is just a two minute walk from the hotel and can be used for just $10 with a voucher from the front desk. It's huge and has everything.
This is awesome information. Hopefully the hotel still offers the vouchers.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:28 am

Just wanted to give a small update on this property.

Asked if there were any upgrades available, got a suite (not sure of the type) and was also able to get room service for breakfast. The lounge is fairly standard, nominal price for liquors your pour yourself, various nuts available during lunch, continental offerings for breakfast (smoked salmon, various cheeses & pastries, no warm items except oatmeal), and finger foods in the evening (crab claws and veggie spread). Parking was a bit pricey ($37/night to valet), and there are some parking lots around the area, but they are also fairly expensive ($20/night) with strange check out times.

Overall a superb experience at the hotel, and I was able to make it to the Colorado Athletic Club for $10, which had every piece of equipment you could want.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:44 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Parking was a bit pricey ($37/night to valet), and there are some parking lots around the area, but they are also fairly expensive ($20/night) with strange check out times.
There is a nearby parking lot which has an internet special. It's not that easy to find the special online and it's also not easy to find the right lot. Basically it's the same lot where the Avis rent-cars are parked. You enter your code (from the internet) and it provides a hefty discount. When I was last there, it was something like $5 per night. The lot is only 2 blocks from the hotel.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
There is a nearby parking lot which has an internet special. It's not that easy to find the special online and it's also not easy to find the right lot. Basically it's the same lot where the Avis rent-cars are parked. You enter your code (from the internet) and it provides a hefty discount. When I was last there, it was something like $5 per night. The lot is only 2 blocks from the hotel.
Could you provide the link to the internet special?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Checking just now, the former company (Central Parking) is now branded as SP Plus Parking. They re-did some of their website (i.e. some pages are still branded with the old logo) so I think they're in a state of flux. The webpage says that some locations have discounts, however no actual discounts exist right now. I imagine that their web team is working on the problem right now, probably at low priority.

The lot where I park is on this map and is named "Avis lot". It's $8 a night ; with the internet special (which seems to be absent from their website right now) it's $5 a night. Either way, it's just a tiny fraction of the price charged by the hotel.
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Just did a Saturday-nighter at the GH Denver. Those that follow (alright, tolerate) my long-winded Hyatt reviews know I can be somewhat critical. I am pleased to report that the GH Denver is one of those properties that makes me feel great to be loyal to Hyatt. Simply fantastic from start to finish. I can think of literally zero things to pick on here - none.

Location is on about 18th and Welton downtown. A bit far from Union Station, but it's a straight shot up 17th. Close to the 16th Street Mall (uh, yay?) and the State Capitol. Check-in very similar to the GH San Francisco - free form with check-in "stations" rather than one big desk. Was greeted warmly and didn't stand around confused. Check-in was very efficient.

Surprise upgraded to an Executive Suite on the 22nd floor. A very nice room with large walk-in shower, separate living room with comfortable couch, four-person high-top dining table. A bit much for just me, traveling solo, but a very nice upgrade.

Grand club on the 26th floor was never especially crowded, so there was ample room to relax. Mostly cold hors-d'oeuvres in the evening with the exception of hot chili and various toppings. I remember smoked salmon petit-fours, cheese/meats/crackers, marinated tomato/mozzarella, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, assorted vegetables, etc. Since I was by myself, cheap, and tired, I turned this into dinner, but there wasn't a big spread of hot items to speak of.

Breakfast was pretty good as well, mostly continental except for hot oatmeal. I'm not big on hot breakfast, so the spread was totally fine for me, but my GF typically prefers restaurant breakfast, so I imagine she wouldn't be totally satisfied with the lounge offerings here.

Check-out completely smooth - the web express check-out actually worked this time. Again, I have zero complaints or issues here at all - this is one of the few Hyatt stays where everything was simply great from start to finish. I put this property up there with the GH Seattle, HR Orange County, HR Boston, HR McCormick Place, GH Atlanta, etc. Great Diamond recognition, superb service, just excellent all around. All these properties are what Hyatt should be all about.

I have no experience with the HR Denver Convention Center, but I'll stay there next just to do a side-by-side comparison. I can't imagine them beating the GH, though - it will be purely an academic exercise.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Staying here right now and really liking it. DSU'ed to an Executive Suite on the 26th floor. Very nice room - spacious and stylish, well worth the DSU expenditure IMO. Only minor criticism is the desk is too small and the desk chair sucks.

The lounge is outstanding. Not at all crowded, very high quality food. Breakfast had a much nicer than usual selection of fruits plus three fresh fruit juices. Evening spread included a wide variety of items . . . only one hot, but really an excellent selection and super high quality, especially the desserts. Has to be one of the nicest clubs in the US.

This is my new favorite domestic GH.

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I have no experience with the HR Denver Convention Center, but I'll stay there next just to do a side-by-side comparison. I can't imagine them beating the GH, though - it will be purely an academic exercise.
I stayed at HR last week and it was awful. I would pick GH over HR ten times out of ten.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Staying here right now and really liking it. DSU'ed to an Executive Suite on the 26th floor. Very nice room - spacious and stylish, well worth the DSU expenditure IMO. Only minor criticism is the desk is too small and the desk chair sucks.

The lounge is outstanding. Not at all crowded, very high quality food. Breakfast had a much nicer than usual selection of fruits plus three fresh fruit juices. Evening spread included a wide variety of items . . . only one hot, but really an excellent selection and super high quality, especially the desserts. Has to be one of the nicest clubs in the US.

This is my new favorite domestic GH.

I stayed at HR last week and it was awful. I would pick GH over HR ten times out of ten.
Indeed. We have gotten to know many of the hotel staff here. Truly awesome GH.
Apart from the GH SEA, this is the one property we love to visit in the US repeatedly.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have stayed at both properties dozens of times. I also prefer the GH over the HR, all things being equal.

But more often than not IME, all things are not equal. Price can vary significantly. Availability is an even bigger issue, with the GH having a fraction of the rooms of the HR.

FWIW, in all my stays at the HR I don't believe it's even close to awful. We can all have the occasional bad stay here or there -- I've certainly had my share of those, even at properties others consistently find exceptional. Unfortunately, it just happens.

So while I will choose the GH over the HR when I can, I don't hesitate for a minute to stay at the HR. Nine out of 10 of my stays there over the years have been very solid, if not exceptional, Hyatt Regency stays.

I believe Hyatt customers are lucky to have two such solid options in the downtown Denver area.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
We can all have the occasional bad stay here or there -- I've certainly had my share of those, even at properties others consistently find exceptional. Unfortunately, it just happens.
Fair comment.

My contrasting experiences made me think about how much room assignment affects my views towards a property. HR gave me no upgrade and a room that smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. GH gave me probably the best DSU suite on the property. GH earned my loyalty, HR will never get another stay.

btw, I got an e-mail from HR food and beverage manager following-up on my survey response. He acknowledged they had oversold the Regency Club during my stay.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:44 pm

Super hospitality

Just had the Stay To Beat All Stays at GH Denver. This property just keeps getting better and better.

Received email from general manager, a few days before stay. I mentioned I was in town to attend an awards banquet, also a couple of meetings at the airport, but mostly just to get out of the Texas heat. (As it ends up, on the days of my stay, it was hotter in Denver than in Texas. Go figure.) G.M. asked about my alcohol preferences. I replied that I never drink alcohol, as my mother tells me it kills brain cells. He replied that he should have followed my mother's advice, but now it's FAR too late. I told him that it's just little old me on this trip, so I'm not using a suite upgrade. (I try to use them when family is along on the trip.) But I said that if I get a choice, I'd like a city view.

I had previously stayed in what I "thought" was the most amazing suite at the property (#2615). This time I was placed into #2612 , which is even more massive than 2615. In the room was a welcome amenity with all kinds of things to eat and drink (non-alcoholic). Everything about the stay was first-class. The staff was so gracious and welcoming. This hotel really knows the meaning of hospitality.

Come to think of it, EVERY stay at the GH Denver has been super-special and memorable, far beyond all hope or expectation. This is one of the most welcoming and accommodating hotels in the entire system.
FriendlySkies likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.