Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
grand hyatt denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I always see a few games in Denver every year. The walk is easy but I would walk down 18th because there are lots of nice hotels and office buildings. 16th is nice too but you kind of go out of the way, 18th is also nice on the way back at night. I would avoid going to 20th then walking up because it is seedy up there. Denver is a very safe city (especially for its size) but 20th street from the GH to Blake St is not very comfortable. Have fun, maybe I'll see you there!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:04 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Just got back from a fantastic stay at the Grand Hyatt Denver. They are currently remodeling so there was a big of inconvenience, but they more than made up for it with friendliness, professionalism, etc. The room (corner suite on the top floor) was absolutely fantastic in every detail. The Grand Club was marvelous. All-round service was great. Location is perfect. The stay was just wonderful in every detail.
Ditto! In every sense.

I too had the corner suite on the top floor. Were you in 2602 or the one at the other end?

2602 had a very nice view of the mountains too.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat/ Hyatt Plat/ Frontier Summit/ Avis & Hertz ...ex-UnitedPremExec
Based in Denver we've had many of our clients and out of town employees opt for this property based on the incredible rates they're seeing. Property is sort of basic but easier to navigate and get in/out of than other downtown Denver hotels ...esp those right near the Convention Center.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:35 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Ditto! In every sense.

I too had the corner suite on the top floor. Were you in 2602 or the one at the other end?

2602 had a very nice view of the mountains too.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:57 pm

Great staff and stay here minus the construction. Had an awesome experience here from check-in to the club. Hopefully the construction will be worth it -- I can't wait till I see the remodeled lobby!

I just wish there was an earlier (convenient) bus to the airport. I took the AF 3:30 AM bus from the bus center and didn't realize the bus center itself closes at night.
Old May 2, 2013, 5:38 pm

What are the renovations for and when will they be done? I couldn't find anything on website.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAL250
What are the renovations for and when will they be done? I couldn't find anything on website.
They apparently remodeled everything -- rooms, club, and all. The lobby (temporarily relocated to the 3rd floor) is still under construction as well as a few public floors I guess. The estimated date of completion was to be the end of April 2013 but the FD people said it will be for a few more weeks. Should be almost done.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:16 pm

Thanks! Looking forward to it, I'm coming in July. Hotel was already nice enough now this will be one of the top 10-15 in Denver!
Old May 4, 2013, 12:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
A couple recent experiences in the new rooms

I've stayed in a couple of the remodeled rooms here in recent weeks. They present well but were designed by people who don't spend a lot of time actually staying (and working anyway) in them.

In a standard club level room:
  • Bathroom and walk in shower instead of tub is really nice. Rain shower is excellent. Huge, huge improvement here over the tubs with awful flow-restricting shower heads.
  • New bath products - June Jacobs Spa Collection; Green Tea and Cucumber. Big, big, big improvement over the tired and overwhelming (in my opinion) Portico White Ginger which preceded it. This was in both the club room and club suite.
  • Lots of open space in the room, not much functional furniture.
  • Silly satee with a small table next to it over in front of the window. Not comfortable or functional for much of anything other than opening up your suitcase on it. Plenty of room for a loveseat, side chair and coffee table, which would have been remarkably functional. They went for pretty instead and it's really a lost opportunity.
  • Desk is remarkably small, with no room to spread out and work and/or eat. Very bizarre, as there is lots of space around it for much more functional workspace.
  • Little spot reading lights over the bed that are unbelievably hot. These will disappear as soon as enough people are literally burned by them. I was shocked by how hot they were while I was trying to figure out how to turn them off.
  • No coffee pot in the room any more.

In a Club Suite -- 2502:
  • I've had this very suite a number of times in the past. It was tired, but functional.
  • Now, again, very pretty and stylish, not horribly functional. Large desk in the living room replaced with a bar high table and 4 (maybe 6) bar chairs. Odd choice and not terribly comfortable for doing much of anything.
  • Additional furniture in living room was very sparse. Lots more space and room for functional furniture -- but no.
  • Bedroom not a lot different from before -- king bed, small desk (again) in this space rather than in the living room.
  • Bedroom blinds are electronic but for the life of me I could not figure out how to operate them. I couldn't find a switch anywhere. I was only there for a night, and wanted to look at that stunning view of the mountains as I was getting ready in the morning, but truly could not figure out how to open them.
  • Bathroom improved greatly by removing the big awkward tub and replacing it with a large shower with rain shower. Best improvement of the remodel, in my view (and for my money the only really functional improvement.)

A couple of things remain bizarre about this hotel and were not addressed in this remodel:
  • Same old non-HD TVs in the room. The quality of TV is truly ridiculous for a Grand Hyatt in 2013.
  • This tends to be a Hyatt-wide standard, but it continues to frustrate me. I check into a hotel at night, go to get ready for bed and the first thing I do is go to brush my teeth. Then I get to wander throughout the room or suite to try to find a drinking glass. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Hyatt thinks we need the glasses somewhere else in the room, but won't need one in the bathroom. Anyway, it's the same here with the new remodel. I guess the difference is that I'm not used to the hiding places for the glasses about the new rooms.

Generally, I like this hotel and am treated very well here, I'm just disappointed that they didn't take this opportunity to make these rooms extraordinary. They look great, and will no doubt photo well for PR purposes. But they could be so much more for those of us actually staying in them. In this specific regard, the Hyatt Regency is still a notch above. It's a pity given all the money they're spending. Why don't they ask business travelers like us who actually stay and work out of these rooms to weigh in on these designs?

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; May 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm Reason: Fix incorrect suite number
Old May 4, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I've stayed in a couple of the remodeled rooms here in recent weeks. They present well but were designed by people who don't spend a lot of time actually staying (and working anyway) in them.

In a standard club level room:
  • Bathroom and walk in shower instead of tub is really nice. Rain shower is excellent. Huge, huge improvement here over the tubs with awful flow-restricting shower heads.
  • New bath products - June Jacobs Spa Collection; Green Tea and Cucumber. Big, big, big improvement over the tired and overwhelming (in my opinion) Portico White Ginger which preceded it. This was in both the club room and club suite.
  • Lots of open space in the room, not much functional furniture.
  • Silly satee with a small table next to it over in front of the window. Not comfortable or functional for much of anything other than opening up your suitcase on it. Plenty of room for a loveseat, side chair and coffee table, which would have been remarkably functional. They went for pretty instead and it's really a lost opportunity.
  • Desk is remarkably small, with no room to spread out and work and/or eat. Very bizarre, as there is lots of space around it for much more functional workspace.
  • Little spot reading lights over the bed that are unbelievably hot. These will disappear as soon as enough people are literally burned by them. I was shocked by how hot they were while I was trying to figure out how to turn them off.
  • No coffee pot in the room any more.

In a Club Suite -- 2602 (discussed above), in fact:
  • I've had this very suite a number of times in the past. It was tired, but functional.
  • Now, again, very pretty and stylish, not horribly functional. Large desk in the living room replaced with a bar high table and 4 (maybe 6) bar chairs. Odd choice and not terribly comfortable for doing much of anything.
  • Additional furniture in living room was very sparse. Lots more space and room for functional furniture -- but no.
  • Bedroom not a lot different from before -- king bed, small desk (again) in this space rather than in the living room.
  • Bedroom blinds are electronic but for the life of me I could not figure out how to operate them. I couldn't find a switch anywhere. I was only there for a night, and wanted to look at that stunning view of the mountains as I was getting ready in the morning, but truly could not figure out how to open them.
  • Bathroom improved greatly by removing the big awkward tub and replacing it with a large shower with rain shower. Best improvement of the remodel, in my view (and for my money the only really functional improvement.)

A couple of things remain bizarre about this hotel and were not addressed in this remodel:
  • [*]
  • [*]
Strange -- I stayed on the 25th floor last weekend and had a flat screen HDTV. I thought the desk space was adequate too (even with room service food) but then again, I usually don't have much stuff.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
We stayed at the GH Denver earlier this week thanks to an unexpected trip to an unhappy client (now happy ). We were told that the new lobby would open in about two weeks and that the last rooms would be renovated by late June. From a drawing in the hotel it appeared the new lobby will look a lot like the renovated lobby at the GH San Francisco. Think several small "front desks".

Like several other posters we were upgraded to a presidential suite on the the club floor (2602). It appeared there was another suite of equal size (2612) along with a somewhat smaller one (2615). All three appeared huge and ours was definitely nicely appointed. The hotel amenity was quite generous. I don't know wether this is a recent addition since when one of the previous posters stayed here, but our suite did have a nice freestanding tub in addition to the new rain shower. In fact, it was right next to it.

Service was quite good. My only possible complaint would be that the breakfast and evening spread in the club was rather limited and that the club attendants didn't really engage guests and seemed to talk to each other most of the time.
Old May 19, 2013, 4:29 pm

I just completed another stay here.

Lobby was most recently scheduled to reopen yesterday (5/18), but according to a staff member when I was checking out has been pushed out until Thursday of this week, 5/23.

This time I was in 2526, a Corner Club room. It was renovated.
  • I liked this room a lot. I think I'll just start booking this category going forward.
  • Bathroom excellent, as with each of the three types of refurbished rooms I've had. I love the walk-in shower and new shower heads. Also the faucets in the sinks. Water pressure is excellent -- huge bathroom improvement for this property.
  • Furniture set up in the corner room made more sense to me. A large round satee, but with detachable foot rest, so you could fairly easily use it as a pretty comfortable chair.
  • The desk extends out in the room from a fixed credenza on the wall, with your back facing the window. Larger workspace with additional space to your left. Good workspace, especially compared to the small space I experienced in my earlier standard Club room.
  • Auto blind controls were in an obvious location next to the entrance to the bathroom and worked very well to make the room black vs. screened.
    I found the typical Hyatt coffee pot set up inside a lower cabinet. It's possible the standard Club room I described from a prior stay also had one somewhere and I just didn't look hard enough to find it.

TV is again analog. To clarify my earlier comment, the TV itself is a current HD-capable TV. But the hotel continues to provide an analog signal -- at least to every TV I've had in a room. In this most recent one, the aspect ratio had been zoomed in, significantly cutting off the left and right of the screen. I could not find a way to change it, given that the remote was not the actual TV remote. Frustrating. I really hope that the final phase of this remodel will include providing digital high def signal to the TVs. It would make such a difference over the crappy analog signals on many of the channels today.

Finally, I made a correction to my earlier post, changing the suite number I reported on. I was actually in 2502, not 2602 (For some reason, I have a hard time remembering exactly how many floors there are in this property.) I paid particular attention this time, given sensei's mention of the bathtub in suite, which I didn't have. My suite was on the floor below, so I apologize for the confusion.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I[*]I liked this room a lot. I think I'll just start booking this category going forward.
Thanks for posting this- I have booked this room category based on your review- much appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for posting this- I have booked this room category based on your review- much appreciated.
I was just in one again last night. It's the best rooms they have IMO (other than some of the suites).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:09 am

Stayed for 3 nights on Club Level

Executive King remodeled room. Very comfortbale and what is becoming the usual modern design with a local twist. The local point was this cool/funky Buffalo painting in the room, the Gf loved it. Bathroom was large and comfortable. We have room 2419, which faced away fromt the mountains and albiet high up was still nice. The lounge had a nice continental spread plus plenty of waters and drinks which can be taken whenever. I would like to see some kind of hot item (eggs,pancakes, french toast) during the breakfast. Nicely remodeled with an iMac and another computer available in an alcove for use. I did try room service for a late din upon our arrival, great burgers/fries. Very satisfied with the staff and stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.