Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Denver REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DealDetective
The last time we stayed there, we decided it was less expensive to just rent a car on a daily basis on the days we needed one from the nearby Hertz location. It not only saved on parking, but also the higher airport location taxes and fees. I'd be interested in knowing if they are waiving parking fees for Globalists on non-award stays.
just asked and they do not. I get a good corporate rate at hertz so I rented from the airport to save the Uber fee. Although with parking that may have been a better idea. Ill just search on spot hero to find cheaper.
DealDetective likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
just asked and they do not. I get a good corporate rate at hertz so I rented from the airport to save the Uber fee. Although with parking that may have been a better idea. Ill just search on spot hero to find cheaper.
If you go a bit outside of DT Denver, there are 2 hr free street parking and you can park for free between 6pm and 8am. I parked just after 4pm and picked up before 10 am and didnt have any issue. I have tried several times when I stayed in DT Denver.

Just some notes:
  • I have parked near the Hertz (car rental) when I stayed at GH Denver (maybe 4 blocks away from GH Denver).
  • Many of them are east side of Broadway.
  • Sunday is free all day.
  • You see some homeless people.
  • Ive seen some $5 overnight parking LOTs but no in/out privilege.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:28 pm

We just sucked it up and paid parking because we will be in and out so much. At least I get Hyatt points.

Just checked in and did get an executive suite and an early checking. Lady at the desk was wonderful. Night and day from the HR Aurora. Solid for the $120 per night I paid.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:52 pm

There's multiple options $10 and less on SpotHero in the GH neighborhood.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just finished up a 3 night stay here. I was upgraded to an Executive Suite. Breakfast is still the buffet. It was free as a globalist, but for $21, it included coffee drinks (latte, caramel macchiato, etc.) and juice which is a reasonable price for a hotel breakfast (normally I think they are way overpriced). The guys working the bar area in the morning were SO friendly.

I do with they had an outdoor pool instead of a tennis court....wishful thinking!

Use Spothero to park..it was $5 or $6 overnight vs the $38 the hotel charges. There are 2 lots on the next block over that we used.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:27 pm

Just finishing up five night stay for holiday booked two rooms on points and applied a tsu to one of them. Travelled with our pets.

Overall stay was pretty decent club is still closed and breakfast is the buffet. The buffet is okay. Omelette station is really good. The chef working there is excellent. The gym is decent, albeit a little small. I agree with the earlier poster that an outdoor pool would be nicer. Service is overall good or a few crab apples throughout but nothing is perfect. Checking out tomorrow hopefully. I have no surprises on the folio. We'll see. Side note for any of you that travel with pets, the surrounding area of downtown Denver is not that great. It's heavily populated with homeless people, many of whom are inebriated with some sort of substance.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Just finishing up five night stay for holiday booked two rooms on points and applied a tsu to one of them. Travelled with our pets.
Side note for any of you that travel with pets, the surrounding area of downtown Denver is not that great. It's heavily populated with homeless people, many of whom are inebriated with some sort of substance.
Yep, it is so sad what has become of downtown Denver. Unless you absolutely have a reason to be here, I'd avoid it at all costs for your safety. Car theft is huge here, BTW.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yep, it is so sad what has become of downtown Denver. Unless you absolutely have a reason to be here, I'd avoid it at all costs for your safety. Car theft is huge here, BTW.
I'm distressed reading these comments as I have a two night stay booked here in a couple of weeks and now feel I should switch to another Hyatt. I've never been to Denver so for those familiar, would you recommend the HR Convention center area Hyatt instead? The Thompson doesn't have points available for my nights and I wanted the free parking perk for Globalist perk. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
that seems exaggerated a bit.. it is downtown with all cons of any us city downtown but certainly not "avoid at all costs for your safety".. 16th st pedestrian mall is a block away and fairly lively even midweek...
peter42 and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:43 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
that seems exaggerated a bit.. it is downtown with all cons of any us city downtown but certainly not "avoid at all costs for your safety".. 16th st pedestrian mall is a block away and fairly lively even midweek...
Agree, just need to be vigilant about walking solo in poorly lit areas at night... during the day you might get talked at but you're not going to get stabbed. It isn't as bad as DTLA (though it's admittedly heading in that direction).

If you want to avoid downtown then avoid downtown. Stay in Cherry Creek or something.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Yeah wife and I walked at night and had no issues. But were not stupid. Its like any other big city these days. Almost parked the car in a surface lot to save some money but the $15 savings wasnt worth the car being broken into vs just paying the Hyatt price.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Yeah wife and I walked at night and had no issues. But were not stupid. Its like any other big city these days. Almost parked the car in a surface lot to save some money but the $15 savings wasnt worth the car being broken into vs just paying the Hyatt price.
Thanks for quelling my nerves! I live in NYC so am used to being around homeless all the time. I was just getting the impression that this area was more affected that your typical urban environment.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by surikatina
Thanks for quelling my nerves! I live in NYC so am used to being around homeless all the time. I was just getting the impression that this area was more affected that your typical urban environment.
Nah if you're used to NYC you're fine. I've walked in many cities downtown cores that are supposedly dangerous (Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, NYC to name a few) and have been fine. Just pay attention to what and who is around you and don't go walking down any dark alleys. Sure you could draw the short end of the stick and something might happen but as long as you're not an oblivious moron glued to your phone when walking like half of America seems to be odds are you'll be fine. All about street awareness which anyone in NYC is likely to have.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
As a Globalist, what is the breakfast like? Details on what is served?

Is there a lounge? Is there a decent evening food spread? If so, details?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Back home after staying 4 nights here. Read posts which mostly rate this GH as the best option for price, benefits, and upgrades. Booked a standard room, cash, and used a suite upgrade only because I have 3 left which expire Feb 2023 (very bad luck this year in being able to use them for my Hyatt vacation stays). Was upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was a nice deal for the $139 rate. Very large with beautiful wood floors, floor to ceiling windows, executive desk/chair, semi kitchen area (microwave, Keurig, small refrigerator, island counter and bar stools). But zero utensils, dishes, glasses, bottle/wine opener etc. Cupboards were bare! Living room had a large seating area, bedroom separated by a door, bathroom with large shower and large separate tub; second half bath by entry. Nitpicking: drapes wouldn't open more than a foot--don't know if that was intentional or because they were broken; so many light switches I still hadn't mastered them after 4 days (some didn't work). Dual sinks in bathroom and a mirror TV was right in the middle which I found annoying when getting ready.

No RC, the room was actually across from the Presidential Suite and was being used for functions. Globalist breakfast was buffet only. If paying, $21 seemed reasonable, but after one day I'd had enough. Food quality was lacking, even the made to order omelets weren't good; other items: chocolate muffins, stale pastries, only white & wheat bread for toast, over salted mushy hash browns, greasy sausage & bacon, etc. Never thought I'd say this but I wished I could get something from the market instead of the buffet; front desk said that would not be covered for Globalist breakfast. So the next 2 mornings I chose cereal, Special K, the final morning I skipped breakfast altogether. Had wine and craft cocktails at night in the bar which were very good. Ate dinner at the only spot where it was served which was at the bar (area is called Courier Market) The dinner food was actually very good and reasonably priced, but I hate eating at the bar. No table service or waitresses at the sit-down tables/restaurant--order from the bartender.

Final comments--On my walk back from the convention center I stopped in at the HR Convention Center around 4:30 p.m. for something to eat and a cocktail at their skyline rooftop bar Peaks Lounge. Very good craft cocktails here as well, only minimal selection of bar food/appetizers (which were very tasty). I found no other restaurants for dinner. HR was able to post points for my drink and appetizer. The ambiance at HR felt like a large tour bus, crowded, frenzied kind of place; Grand Hyatt felt more peaceful and upscale. I saw almost no homeless people during my walks, so not a problem in that area at least in cold November. Went to a concert at the Paramount Theatre which was very close to GH. Went on a walking tour of LoDo from Union Station and saw the Thompson; yes it is a much better area for restaurants and shopping. But it was double the price of GH and no suite upgrades available. Might try it next time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.