Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Jacksonville FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Jacksonville FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 30, 17, 3:20 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Posts: 2,361
Just checked in as Explorist on C+P rate with club access cert applied. At check-in I was told the club is closed for the season, which seems really odd. I asked what of my cert, since it was taken out of my account and I had planned on the club for breakfast for me and the kids. The FD manager added free breakfast buffet to our reservation in the restaurant instead, which was a very nice gesture, as I imagine it's much better than what the club would have. I just find it odd that Hyatt reservations didn't know this when I asked for the cert to be applied. Turned out fine for me in the end tho.
akcae is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:22 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco & London
Programs: IHG Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire
Posts: 1,457
Any recent reports?

Does the property have a Regency Club?
navatwal is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:46 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 185
I had a one-night, mid-week stay around four months ago. Yes, there is a Regency Club, which is open during the week. It was almost deserted on the evening I was there. Room and lobby renovations are completed. Ask for a room facing the river - those rooms have a view and windows that open. Self-parking is around $20 per night. Downtown Jax dries up after 6:00 p.m. Except for a few bars and so-so restaurants at The Landing, about 1/4 mile away, there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. There are a lot of group conventions at the hotel, but this is not a tourist destination.
RMC500 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 10:39 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
I cannot comment much on the property itself as I have never stayed here (although over the years that I lived in Jax I stopped in to visit/eat with/pick up colleagues many many times).

What I did want to do is just mention, in case the concierge hasn't been doing a good job, that there are a couple worthwhile places within walking distance. If you're tired of the Morton's on site, there is a very popular local high end steakhouse called Cowford Chophouse basically around the corner. Value is not the best (quite pricey) and somewhat inconsistent service (so I hear, don't live in Jax so don't frequent this place) but quality food and fantastic rooftop for drinks/apps. Olio and Spliff's Gastropub are also nearby and worth a visit as well, as is Bold City Brewery's downtown location.

If you're willing to hike 10-12 minutes away (which doesn't sound like much but given downtown Jax's lack of pedestrian-friendliness that's actually not a very inviting distance) you could hit Bellwether restaurant or Volstead (which is my favorite craft cocktail bar in Jax). If you dare go the opposite direction down the very barren Bay St towards the stadium, you can also walk to Intuition Ale Works, I believe the most popular microbrewery in the city.

There is a downtown HP in the works, although some of us are nervous after each passing day with no word of "groundbreaking." If/when this property does open, though, it would definitely be the better location for walkability/vibrancy compared to the HR.
AStarr likes this.
Maxwell Lee is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:14 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jax, FL, USA; Sheffield, UK; Aarhus, DK
Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by RMC500 View Post
I had a one-night, mid-week stay around four months ago. Yes, there is a Regency Club, which is open during the week. It was almost deserted on the evening I was there. Room and lobby renovations are completed. Ask for a room facing the river - those rooms have a view and windows that open. Self-parking is around $20 per night. Downtown Jax dries up after 6:00 p.m. Except for a few bars and so-so restaurants at The Landing, about 1/4 mile away, there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. There are a lot of group conventions at the hotel, but this is not a tourist destination.
The Landing is scheduled for demolition. Soon.

Downtown Jax is tough for food unless you know it well. And you're right - it really isn't a tourist destination. The city is trying to change that though.

There are a handful of bars that are pretty solid and within walking distance (Dos Gatos being a personal favourite - they bring snacks for Friday happy hour and tailgate Sundays during season). Restaurants outside of lunch are scarce. I highly suggest Olio for lunch. I believe they still do dinner on the first Wednesday of the month. Spliff's is good for late night inexpensive food (and build-your-own mac'n'cheese), the Italian place around the corner is so-so. As for Bay Street, Myth runs a kitchen still. Bay Street Bar and Grill is decent though the crowd can be fairly colourful. A bit farther is Burrito Gallery and Super Food & Brew - both are good. I can't speak much to Cowford Chophouse except to say that apparently it is very expensive by Jacksonville standards and it has a rooftop bar. Five Star Pizza delivers to downtown. As does I believe anything you can find on Community Couriers. The walk over the Main Street bridge isn't so bad and right at the end of it are a sushi place (Sake House) and the Chart House (seafood). That's before you get into San Marco properly. There's a couple things on the other side of Main Street on the Hyatt side of downtown as well that I've not been to.
AStarr is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:16 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jax, FL, USA; Sheffield, UK; Aarhus, DK
Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by Maxwell Lee View Post

There is a downtown HP in the works, although some of us are nervous after each passing day with no word of "groundbreaking." If/when this property does open, though, it would definitely be the better location for walkability/vibrancy compared to the HR.
Hopefully that HP doesn't go the way of the San Marco Publix... downtown really needs some options that aren't what we have. When the HGI came to southbank I was surprised. It's one of the nicer properties down there but only because it's new. Everything there is just so worn out and it shows.
AStarr is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 3:22 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by AStarr View Post
Hopefully that HP doesn't go the way of the San Marco Publix... downtown really needs some options that aren't what we have. When the HGI came to southbank I was surprised. It's one of the nicer properties down there but only because it's new. Everything there is just so worn out and it shows.
Haha very true!! To be fair, the HP project is its own development (purely the hotel) so while it is entirely possible that the demolition of the landing might change their pro forma, it should be much easier to finance. Not holding my breath, but this one should still be greenlit. The East San Marco project is different as the Publix was to be the anchor for a mixed-use development with ~200k sq ft of retail and somewhere between 150 and 250 residential units. The residential is the reason the Publix hasn't happened, if it was Publix alone it would have been built 12 years ago. btw, I hear this one is finally, actually, going to be moving forward (though I again, will not hold my breath)
AStarr likes this.
Maxwell Lee is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:14 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jax, FL, USA; Sheffield, UK; Aarhus, DK
Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by Maxwell Lee View Post
Haha very true!! To be fair, the HP project is its own development (purely the hotel) so while it is entirely possible that the demolition of the landing might change their pro forma, it should be much easier to finance. Not holding my breath, but this one should still be greenlit. The East San Marco project is different as the Publix was to be the anchor for a mixed-use development with ~200k sq ft of retail and somewhere between 150 and 250 residential units. The residential is the reason the Publix hasn't happened, if it was Publix alone it would have been built 12 years ago. btw, I hear this one is finally, actually, going to be moving forward (though I again, will not hold my breath)
I'll believe it when I get a sub there... definitely not holding my breath though

Given all the demolitions and other unused space in downtown, you'd think there would be more development going on. It always seemed so... stifled. That city has some bizarre politics.
AStarr is offline  
Old Sep 18, 19, 10:53 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by AStarr View Post
I'll believe it when I get a sub there... definitely not holding my breath though

Given all the demolitions and other unused space in downtown, you'd think there would be more development going on. It always seemed so... stifled. That city has some bizarre politics.
You must be new to Jax lol. For the past 4 decades (since before I was born) the city has been demolishing buildings left and right with no plans in place. And the rare occasions where there is a planned development, they have no mechanism for holding the developer accountable after demolition. You now how downtown is like 50% surface parking lots? Back in the 30s-50s there were no surface lots, all dense midrise construction and a very vibrant core. It's really a shame...
Maxwell Lee is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:56 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Jax, FL, USA; Sheffield, UK; Aarhus, DK
Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by Maxwell Lee View Post
You must be new to Jax lol. For the past 4 decades (since before I was born) the city has been demolishing buildings left and right with no plans in place. And the rare occasions where there is a planned development, they have no mechanism for holding the developer accountable after demolition. You now how downtown is like 50% surface parking lots? Back in the 30s-50s there were no surface lots, all dense midrise construction and a very vibrant core. It's really a shame...
I lived there for 18 years and was referencing precisely that practice - that they keep tearing stuff down despite having plenty of abandoned open space and buildings in the downtown area. It is indeed a shame. Like I said, the city politics are weird.
AStarr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: