Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Hyatt in Washington DC for Grand Kids – Capitol Hill Experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life

I am looking for an award stay two rooms (one Suite) for my family in Washington, DC. Easy metro access preferred. Recommendations appreciated. Any problem with more than 4 people in a Suite (5)?

Does anyone have email/telephone contact of GM/front desk manager for Capitol Hill Hyatt?

I am long time Hyatt Diamond but Washington DC has not been in my travels for many, many years.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Grand Hyatt Over a Metro Stop

Although its easy to miss the entry coming up from the subway. Stayed there twice and the Capitol Hill Hyatt once via subway with kids to do DC. Capitol Hill requires a short walk from Union Station, but is walking distance to mall and or course, Capitol Hill.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I have to say the Grand Hyatt was my least favorite of the Grands I have been at. I was there in April 2004. The coffee shop served only breakfast and lunch, and their breakfast options are very...funky. Everything has an "exotic" twist to it, no basics (like just pancakes or eggs. The pancakes had apple slices in them, etc). This extends to room service items, as well.

The buffet is passable, but expensive (I had it twice because it at least had things like bacon and eggs).

Dinner is only available from an Asian restaurant on site, so that affects the room service menu.

The hotel is supposed to have WiFi, but even with an atrium-facing room (which is where the transmitters are), I could not get a signal, much less a connection. Also, the interior was like that of a "standard" Hyatt, and not with the furniture and controls I have come to expect at a Grand Hyatt (like Seattle, Tokyo, etc.).

Being on top of the Metro Center station is very convenient (reason I chose the hotel, to be honest, and did not spend much time in my room), so for a "base of operations" and a place to sleep and prep for the day, it's fine. But expect to have your meals off-site, not just to save money, but probably to find something the kids will eat.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:41 pm
Suspended

I will give you some pros and cons:

Grand Hyatt DC:

1). Do not expect a comp upgrade to a suite -- that is for sure. This property does not upgrade in this manner for it was explained to me by the GM that there are so many people on a gov't rate, etc., that they do not provide such comps. I suppose if you spend the extra points they will do so.

2). This property has a functioning Regency Club, so breakfast will be comped for you and your guests and it has afternoon/early evening snacks.
It also has sodas, etc. and it is open 7 days a week.

I don't know why Sea Tigger was mentioning the coffee shop as this is mooted by the above because of your status.

3). It is the most convenient Hyatt DC to the Metro as it sits atop one of the stations, but you will pay alot if you plan to park a car.

4). It is within a short walk to the mall and the musuems.

5). Capitol Brewing Company diagonally across the street -- Good place for kids and adults alike to eat!

6). Very close to the MCI center and sports or other events being held there.

7). Very close to Chinatown, as well!

I think this hotel is the best for your sightseeing needs, etc.

Washington Regency:

1). There are two metro stops you can choose from, or even more. Union Station is one, and I believe that Judiciary Square is another.

2). You can find on street free parking here on weekends.

3). Comp breakfast buffet -- RC was closed last time I was there, but there were rumors it was re-opening. Even so, make sure it is open on weekends.
Don't know how many people will receive the comp buffet breakfast, however, it only may be two. Standard breakfast buffet-not too exciting.

4). Decent location for musuems and great location for Capitol Hill and the concerts if you are planning to go them. However, a little remote at night, but I did not feel unsafe when walking back from Judiciary Square Metro.

Park Hyatt:

I do not recommend this location for the kids in tow. However, it is the best for adults, IMHO.

Good websites to check out:

www.Stationmasters.com

www.Washingtonpost.com

Travel section

Visitors Guide

Calendar of Events link

Enjoy!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 23, 2005 at 1:45 pm
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
This property has a functioning Regency Club, so breakfast will be comped for you and your guests and it has afternoon/early evening snacks. It also has sodas, etc. and it is open 7 days a week.

I don't know why Sea Tigger was mentioning the coffee shop as this is mooted by the above because of your status.
Cause I am just a poor Platinum so I didn't get access to them, so never knew they had an RC or what it had. Thanks for the information/clarification, though.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Cause I am just a poor Platinum so I didn't get access to them, so never knew they had an RC or what it had. Thanks for the information/clarification, though.
Understood.

I likely will join your ranks next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.