Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Waikiki, or Hyatt Place??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

My family and I will be going to Honolulu for 6 nights after coming from Maui for 3 nights in the end of June. I am planning on paying with points for our upcoming stay in Waikiki. I would like to hear your guys opinion on if I should stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki or the Hyatt Place out in Waikiki.

I will have temporary globalist status, but won't have any upgrade certificates since this is a trial.
For 2 days we will be in Waikiki without a car. The other 4 we will have a car.
The majority of the time, we will probably be traveling around the island.

I know with globalist and paying with points, that I get free parking and lounge access at the Regency. But due to covid they still have the lounge closed off. I heard that I am able to get breakfast at the restaurant downstairs.

Hyatt Place also offers breakfast( to go) right now also.

My question is, is it worth the extra 8000 points a night to stay at the Regency instead of the Hyatt Place?
If I am getting a good upgrade by staying there I am happy to go to the Regency, but if the room upgrade isn't really worth it, I would rather go to the Hyatt Place.

I look forward to hearing everyones opinion on this.

Also if someone can chime in on if its worth it to stay at the HANA MAUI for 1 night that would be nice to hear also.

Thank You so much for everyones input.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:37 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brabb12
Also if someone can chime in on if its worth it to stay at the HANA MAUI for 1 night that would be nice to hear also.

Thank You so much for everyones input.
Did you look at this thread ?

Hana-Maui Resort (formerly Travaasa Hana Resort) - Joined Hyatt 1 September 2020 - FlyerTalk Forums
brabb12 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also a number of posts about both properties in this thread (most comments are pre-covid):
Hyatt Place Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
A few more comments can be found in the Centric thread:
Hyatt Centric Waikiki REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 100k, Delta Platinum
Are you sure you'll have temporary Globalist from your trial? The trials they give for status matching typically gives Explorist.

With that being said, you're extremely unlikely to get a suite upgrade at the HR Maui during those dates. I've been trying to book suites for those dates with cash for the better part of the last month and haven't been able to find any availability.

You'll get the same free parking benefit at both the Regency and the HP, so I wouldn't factor that in. Breakfast at the HR Waikiki seems somewhat alright, it's just a daily breakfast sandwich and a juice. Edible but nothing to write a blog post about. I'd check in with the HP as to what they are providing for breakfast, HP's tend to be pretty terrible during covid.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

thank you SKJ didnt see that earlier.

Last edited by brabb12; Apr 12, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:11 pm
Suspended

OP, any reason you ruled out The Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach? which falls in between the others @ 15K per night

I havent stayed there since it didnt exist the last time I was in HNL, Ive stayed at the others and although the HP is nicer I found the HP easier to get around. Also since I wasnt spending much time at the hotel itself I liked saving the difference in pts.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
OP, any reason you ruled out The Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach? which falls in between the others @ 15K per night

I havent stayed there since it didnt exist the last time I was in HNL, Ive stayed at the others and although the HP is nicer I found the HP easier to get around. Also since I wasnt spending much time at the hotel itself I liked saving the difference in pts.
It seemed a little far from the beach, but if there is a good reason to go there I am all ears.

Right now its 3 nights HR and 3 nights HP but so far from what I have been reading about the HR it seems like it may not be worth it to go. Breakfast is not that great and the chance of getting a upgrade is very slim and service has been abysmal. (HR WAIKIKI REVIEW) Im doing the globalist trial so and if I'm in Hawaii, I would like to get the best bang for my points. Also the dates we are there, the Hyatt Centric won't accept points. So they are out of the question.

Last edited by brabb12; Apr 12, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's your definition of "good upgrade" at HR?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
What's your definition of "good upgrade" at HR?
The presidential suite. JK

A ocean view or a suite. Either one preferably the suite if possible.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brabb12
The presidential suite. JK

A ocean view or a suite. Either one preferably the suite if possible.
Suite is highly unlikely - they barely have any but high floor oceanview should be near certain - those are tall towers with near unobstructed views...
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by DroppedSon
Are you sure you'll have temporary Globalist from your trial? The trials they give for status matching typically gives Explorist.

With that being said, you're extremely unlikely to get a suite upgrade at the HR Maui during those dates. I've been trying to book suites for those dates with cash for the better part of the last month and haven't been able to find any availability.

You'll get the same free parking benefit at both the Regency and the HP, so I wouldn't factor that in. Breakfast at the HR Waikiki seems somewhat alright, it's just a daily breakfast sandwich and a juice. Edible but nothing to write a blog post about. I'd check in with the HP as to what they are providing for breakfast, HP's tend to be pretty terrible during covid.

Hyatt Place is still currently doing a grab and go breakfast. It isn’t terrible; choice of three hot breakfast sandwiches (egg and cheese bagel sandwich, egg, ham and cheese English muffin sandwich or egg and cheese english muffin sandwich), hard boiled egg, fruit (an orange usually), yogurt, granola bar, juice and tea/coffee. Seems better than the HR from the sounds of it.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Hyatt Place is still currently doing a grab and go breakfast. It isn’t terrible; choice of three hot breakfast sandwiches (egg and cheese bagel sandwich, egg, ham and cheese English muffin sandwich or egg and cheese english muffin sandwich), hard boiled egg, fruit (an orange usually), yogurt, granola bar, juice and tea/coffee. Seems better than the HR from the sounds of it.
HR provides daily sandwich (rotating recipes) or a continental breakfast (bacon/sausage, eggs, potatoes). The breakfast comes with fruit cup (grapes & pineapple), yogurt with granola, and drinks (orange juice, caned Hawaiian juices). Additionally, you can get coffee as much as you want.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
HR provides daily sandwich (rotating recipes) or a continental breakfast (bacon/sausage, eggs, potatoes). The breakfast comes with fruit cup (grapes & pineapple), yogurt with granola, and drinks (orange juice, caned Hawaiian juices). Additionally, you can get coffee as much as you want.
Ok, I was just going by the previous poster that said the HR was doing just a daily breakfast sandwich and a juice. HP coffee and tea is self serve so also unlimited and you can also ask for as many food items as you like from what I have seen.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
My personal preference at the moment is Hyatt Centric.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stvr
My personal preference at the moment is Hyatt Centric.
Unfortunately they won't accept points for the days we want to stay in Honolulu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.