Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hangzhou REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Hangzhou REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 25, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by kgkg
If I use 6000 points per night for suite upgrade, what type of suite should I expect to be upgraded to?
The base entry suite - same as those confirmed via TSU
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I just completed a 2-night weekend stay at HR Hangzhou, booked as two 1-night stays taking advantage of the lowest mid-year sales (910 and 840 RMB, previously 1320 RMB before sale).

I was preassigned to lake view Club room on 8th floor, which is best available room, period. The only suite on 8th floor is the Presidential Suite. The view is excellent.

Hotel location is very convenient for travel by train from Shanghai. Metro Line 2 in Shanghai stops at Shanghai Hongqiao Station, just over an hour high speed train to Hangzhou East Station. Metro Line 1 goes from Hangzhou Wast Station to Wes Lake area longxianqiao station exit C, turn right walk toward the lake and Hyatt is 2 blocks on the right. It took me <40 minuts from hotel to Hangzhou East Station this morning.

My first afternoon at the Club Lounge, both Guest Relations Manager and the Director of Rooms all found out my name and status and introduced themselves, first experience for me at any hotel.

The food and beverages in the Club Lounge is very good. They had my favorite xiaolongbao 2 of the 4 food services during my stay (evening and breakfast). There was steamed dumplings at each of the food services, which was quite good. I like smoked salmon, salami and cheeses, but then all Hyatt Clubs have those. When in China, I want items I can't get at home. There was watermelon juice throughout the day, something I complained to Grand Hyatt Shanghai about last week. There was also rockmelon (a very fragrant Chinese melon with light orange flesh, more complex flavor than cantaloupe) juice.

I walked the entire lake front, going from right of the hotel. Everyone is out for leisurely stroll, so I had to dodge crowds as I tried to get a workout on the 7 mile walk. There are plenty of sights to see around the lake, some prominent sights from Chinese poetry.

I'm glad I stayed 2 nights over the weekend, so that I could experience enough of Hangzhou and the West Lake area. I'm sure I'll be back in the future when I'm in Shanghai more than 1 week and I can go to Hangzhou for the weekend.

Last edited by CIT85; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:46 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Rebranded to Grand Hyatt Hangzhou

Following 18 months of renovations, Hyatt Regency Hangzhou is expected to be re-branded to Grand Hyatt Hangzhou on December 18, 2018.

Full press release: https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=123756

The hotel is an inviting escape for guests and locals alike to indulge in a modern luxury experience like no other, while seeking out the best Hangzhou has to offer. Located at the crossroads of local culture and global business, Grand Hyatt Hangzhou will be the first Grand Hyatt hotel in the Zhejiang Province and the 15th in Greater China.

We are thrilled to introduce the Grand Hyatt experience to the locals and visitors of Hangzhou, says General Manager Nicholas Lacey. We are truly blessed to have this incredible location overlooking West Lake and believe that the breathtaking views coupled with our beautiful recent renovations will make Grand Hyatt Hangzhou the leading destination in the city for business and leisure travel and to celebrate lifes special moments.

The hotel is expected to conclude an extensive renovation of its public areas, guestrooms, meeting and event space and restaurants in January 2019. The renovation, which commenced in 2017, was spearheaded by award-winning Thai interior design firm P49 Deesign. With the hotels rebrand in mind, the firm set out to develop Grand Hyatt Hangzhou into a transformative destination with modern, timeless interiors that would reflect the citys rich history and culture while taking full advantage of the prized lake view.

The new Grand Hyatt Hangzhou will feature:
  • 388 guestrooms and suites, ranging in size from 3662,500 square feet (34240 square meters). Designed to amplify the breathtaking lake or city views, the indulgent rooms will feature a comforting mix of textures in the wallcoverings and soft furnishings with subtle Chinese design elements appearing in the furniture and wall art.
  • The Grand Club Lounge will offer club-level guests complimentary breakfast, all-day light refreshments and evening cocktails and canaps, as well as the use of the boardrooms and all-day assistance from the Club Concierge. Grand Club guests will also have access to a 4,300 sq.-ft. (400 sq-m) outdoor roof terrace where they will enjoy an exclusive view of the spectacular West Lake Musical Fountain show that performs nightly.
  • Seven globally inspired cocktail and dining venues will aim to offer the highest-quality ingredients, creativity and variety. The renovated Grand Caf and Pastry Boutique will share space with a new venue, Patio, which will be a casual indoor and outdoor dining venue overlooking West Lake specializing in authentic Italian pasta and pizza. In Q1 2019, Grand Hyatt Steakhouse will open and offer a rich variety of seafood and exclusive cuts of meat, as well as an Art Deco-inspired cocktail lounge, The Antique Door, featuring a wide range of Champagne, sake and whiskey, accompanied by an international band. Led by Executive Chef Vincenzo Carbone, the culinary team will source the finest ingredientslocal and organic when possibleto create authentic cuisine and unforgettable dining experiences.
  • Opening in early 2019, HUAN Spa and Fitness Center will feature an 82 foot-long (25 meter-) long heated indoor pool with a skylight ceiling, pool bar and stunning lake views. Next to the pool, the fitness center will be well-equipped with the latest cardio and strength training machines supervised by the fitness centers experienced team of fitness professionals. Utilizing natural, local ingredients such as Osmanthus and the world-renowned Longjin green tea, the spa will offer a menu of results-driven treatments that aim to promote complete wellbeing.
  • Re-introduced after a complete renovation in 2017, the hotels more-than 35,000 square feet (3,300 square meters) of lavish event space features the latest audiovisual technology and is among the most sophisticated event venues in the Zhejiang capital. Aided by a creative, enthusiastic and highly experienced team of culinary experts and event-planning professionals, the hotel is primed to create spectacular experiences, ranging from elaborate events to simple delights.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Maybe change the title to "Grand Hyatt Hangzhou REVIEW" now?

I am planing a week long summer trip to Hangzhou and Shanghai with wife and two kids, 7 and 4. GH Hangzhou has the best location near the west lake but I have only Discoverist. My question is: is it a good idea to pay 6000 points per night for Club access so we can have breakfast there or just book the standard room and pay cash for the buffet?

Or, just wait for Conrad Hangzhou to be ready since I have Amex Aspire?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Wintertiger
Maybe change the title to "Grand Hyatt Hangzhou REVIEW" now?

I am planing a week long summer trip to Hangzhou and Shanghai with wife and two kids, 7 and 4. GH Hangzhou has the best location near the west lake but I have only Discoverist. My question is: is it a good idea to pay 6000 points per night for Club access so we can have breakfast there or just book the standard room and pay cash for the buffet?

Or, just wait for Conrad Hangzhou to be ready since I have Amex Aspire?

Thanks!!
Why not look into making a Prive booking and get an upgrade, full buffet breakfast for the family and a hotel credit in the rate?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Originally Posted by Aventine
Why not look into making a Prive booking and get an upgrade, full buffet breakfast for the family and a hotel credit in the rate?
Was thinking about points only. Looks upgrading a paid night is the best option. Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wintertiger
This hotel has the best location at the banks of West Lake. The old Regency Club was very good. I hope the new Grand Club will be even better. I think 6000 points is a reasonable value since you have breakfast for all 4 and evening food can easily be dinner as well, plus beverages all day long. The terrace off the Club also has great view of West Lake, since your room may not have a decent view.

Now that the hotel is up-branded to a Grand Hyatt, I may have to plan a weekend trip next time I'm in Shanghai.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by CIT85
This hotel has the best location at the banks of West Lake. The old Regency Club was very good. I hope the new Grand Club will be even better. I think 6000 points is a reasonable value since you have breakfast for all 4 and evening food can easily be dinner as well, plus beverages all day long. The terrace off the Club also has great view of West Lake, since your room may not have a decent view.

Now that the hotel is up-branded to a Grand Hyatt, I may have to plan a weekend trip next time I'm in Shanghai.
Possibly the best Regency Club anywhere in the world. Has it been further enhanced or renovated in conjunction with the re-branding? Even if not, it would stack up well against some of the best Grand Clubs out there, such as GH HK.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Stayed there for a quick weekend getaway. The hotel has been completely renovated with only the swimming pool being still under construction. The rooms are all newly renovated and very nice. The rooms are a bit small, especially for Asia, but are very cozy. We were upgraded to a Grand Suite with lake view, of which the hotel only has 8. The hotel is full booked on weekends and our concierge told us there were no suites available for upgrade (there also were none bookable online), so the upgrade was a very nice surprise. The view from the room is amazing and I quite like the design, it's much more intimate than those brash properties that you usually see in China.
The service was impeccable, we were greeted by name, even at our first visit to the lounge, which was very impressive given that it was our first stay at this property. Everybody was doing an amazing job.
The food for breakfast and dinner was good with plenty of choices of hot and cold dishes. Probably our favorite GH property so far, would definitely stay again.

Living Room

Bedroom

Bathroom with lake in the background

Grand Club Lounge

Grand Club Lounge

Grand Club Lounge

Roof Terrace of the Lounge

View over the West Lake from the Terrace

Hallway

Hallway

Last edited by mrgoodkat; Mar 22, 2021 at 6:10 am
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:32 am

The Grand Club Lounge looks the same as the RC before renovations. The Grand Suite is nice.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I can't believe people like this hotel and think the renovation and Grand Club nice.

1)The hotel is in a fabulous location but is old and cramped. It didn't look to me like it had been recently renovated. I'll charitably give the rooms 3 to 4 stars. It used to be a HR and certainly looks like it.

2) my biggest problem w the rooms is the ceilings are super low. This is not a luxury room. Not at all.

3)I asked my friend to book for me. My friend used Ctrip rather than Hyatt App. To be fair, the front desk didn't need to recognize my globalist status since it was booked via Ctrip. I didn't earn points but he kindly upgraded me to a suite and let me use the Club Lounge. Very nice of him! But the breakfast at CL was an absolute zoo and the food choices meager.

4) my room was on a low floor and facing an area that was doing massive construction. All night. 1am-6am. I didn't get more than an hours sleep and ended up getting a migraine the next day. This isn't the hotel's fault but the low floor is a problem. I'm exhausted as I write this

5) I asked for extra water when I checked in. It was never given me. That's not OK.

6) the biggest problem is at breakfast they keep the strawberries behind a counter. I asked the chef for some. He gave me 3 little pieces that wouldn't add up to a whole strawberry. I asked for more and he refused rudely

I said I want more. He picked up the whole bowl and slammed it on my plate. I have never seen such rude behavior by a staff at a Hyatt hotel in my life.

When I complained to the duty manager they said sorry for all my problems and that next time they will make sure I get a quiet room and water.

Are they kidding me? Right now I'm exhausted, hungry and have a migraine all due to the hotel. That is their service recovery for a Globalist.

No way
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:54 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Yes, this made me wonder why an older hotel can be re-branded to the top flagship brand with a routine renovation. At most a well renovated hotel should go back to its existing brand, not to the very top very limited Grand Hyatt brand....
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I can't believe people like this hotel and think the renovation and Grand Club nice.

1)The hotel is in a fabulous location but is old and cramped. It didn't look to me like it had been recently renovated. I'll charitably give the rooms 3 to 4 stars. It used to be a HR and certainly looks like it.

2) my biggest problem w the rooms is the ceilings are super low. This is not a luxury room. Not at all.

3)I asked my friend to book for me. My friend used Ctrip rather than Hyatt App. To be fair, the front desk didn't need to recognize my globalist status since it was booked via Ctrip. I didn't earn points but he kindly upgraded me to a suite and let me use the Club Lounge. Very nice of him! But the breakfast at CL was an absolute zoo and the food choices meager.

4) my room was on a low floor and facing an area that was doing massive construction. All night. 1am-6am. I didn't get more than an hours sleep and ended up getting a migraine the next day. This isn't the hotel's fault but the low floor is a problem. I'm exhausted as I write this

5) I asked for extra water when I checked in. It was never given me. That's not OK.

6) the biggest problem is at breakfast they keep the strawberries behind a counter. I asked the chef for some. He gave me 3 little pieces that wouldn't add up to a whole strawberry. I asked for more and he refused rudely

I said I want more. He picked up the whole bowl and slammed it on my plate. I have never seen such rude behavior by a staff at a Hyatt hotel in my life.

When I complained to the duty manager they said sorry for all my problems and that next time they will make sure I get a quiet room and water.

Are they kidding me? Right now I'm exhausted, hungry and have a migraine all due to the hotel. That is their service recovery for a Globalist.

No way
It appears the renovations did nothing about the small rooms which is a real problem considering new hotels in China have nice large rooms.

I think your problems are mostly the result of booking via CTrip versus via Hyatt.com so your status was not recognized until front desk upgraded you, but not to high floor with view. As a Globalist, I would never have anyone else book a room at a Hyatt for me.

As a HR with a decent lounge and location,. the old hotel was nice. I would expect more from a GH.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Yes, this made me wonder why an older hotel can be re-branded to the top flagship brand with a routine renovation. At most a well renovated hotel should go back to its existing brand, not to the very top very limited Grand Hyatt brand....
Exactly. This did not seem like a major renovation to me. It seemed more like a face lift of an old, lower end hotel that somehow became branded a higher end one. I'm not sure how Hyatt approved a rebrand.

The standard rooms at PH Suzhou seem to be larger than standard suites at GH Hangzhou. The ceilings were so low. I couldn't believe it.

The hotel reminded me of the old Great Wall Sheraton Beijing in terms of quality.

Next time I will stay at PH Hangzhou or Shangri-la or go out of Hyatt. There are too many excellent hotels in Hangzhou.

Even disregarding my personal bad experience, the rooms aren't good. Not at all.

The only thing hotel has going for it is location and excellent food (I ate lunch there and it was excellent)
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
It appears the renovations did nothing about the small rooms which is a real problem considering new hotels in China have nice large rooms.

I think your problems are mostly the result of booking via CTrip versus via Hyatt.com so your status was not recognized until front desk upgraded you, but not to high floor with view. As a Globalist, I would never have anyone else book a room at a Hyatt for me.

As a HR with a decent lounge and location,. the old hotel was nice. I would expect more from a GH.
The hotel was nice to upgrade me despite my friend booking via Ctrip. Many of the problems might have been averted. And the chef who was shockingly rude to me I was told was an intern who did not have his contract renewed and was on his last week.

But still, the rooms are not GH Asia level. Not at all. The new Hyatt builds in China are for the most part incredible. The ones built around 2000 are all falling apart, from this GH to Hyatt on the Bund

I can't recommend staying here. They can't fix low ceilings and Cramped rooms no matter how nice they are. I wouldn't go back even if they guaranteed me a suite - the suites are so small.

It's too bad as next year it'll be hard for me to requalify for Globalist unless borders open.

I've stayed almost all my nights this year in Park Hyatts. I guess I could just stay 60 nights a year at PH Suzhou which is just incredible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.