FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Need advice on Hawaii trip with no car........ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/398523-need-advice-hawaii-trip-no-car.html)

chicaloca453 Feb 9, 2005 4:36 pm

Need advice on Hawaii trip with no car........

I've racked up my FFN's, and now I'm ready to redeem. I have nights reserved in Maui and Kaui. Now I'm a bit concerned. I'm doing the Hawaii thing with no car. I know I can take a "circle island" tour, but I'm still concerned about not having transportation while I'm there. Since I read that there is no transportation on either Maui or Kaui like there is on Oahu, I want some advice from people who've been there.

How long should I spend at each of these properties without a car? I know they're nice properties, but would I feel bored and trapped after 2-3 days at each? If so, I'm going to shift some of my FFN's back to Oahu. Waikiki is great without a car, and I love it there. I've never been to any other Islands, so I thought it would be a treat. I just don't want to limit myself.

What do you guys think?

FlyinHawaiian Feb 9, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi:

How many nights were you thinking of stating on Maui and Kaua`i without a car? Both are great properties, but I would think you might want to venture out a bit after 2-3 days at each.

You are correct in that there are no mass transit options like TheBus in Honolulu. I would think that on Maui there are other places in the Ka`anapali area that you could stroll and visit, but there are less options on Kaua`i. Both islands have a lot to offer outside of the hotels - places that you could get to by joining a tour, but finding them by youself can be fun too...

chicaloca453 Feb 9, 2005 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Hi:

How many nights were you thinking of stating on Maui and Kaua`i without a car? Both are great properties, but I would think you might want to venture out a bit after 2-3 days at each.

You are correct in that there are no mass transit options like TheBus in Honolulu. I would think that on Maui there are other places in the Ka`anapali area that you could stroll and visit, but there are less options on Kaua`i. Both islands have a lot to offer outside of the hotels - places that you could get to by joining a tour, but finding them by youself can be fun too...

I was looking at 3 nights in Kaui and 4 in Maui. I think 3-4 in Maui is fine. They have the Old Lahina (sp?) Luau which is supposed to be the best in the state. Also, I think Lahina town is very close to the hotel. Is that right?

I was a bit more concerned about Kaui. I know it's a beautiful property, but there's only so much you can do on a resort. That's the one I was really concerned about.

I do plan to take the Circle Island tour on each Island. That is a great way to see everything, and that will take a day. I've just heard that the beaches at each of these properties aren't all that. So I just can't imagine what I'd do beyone 3-4 days at each resort.

I do know a lot of you have been there, so I decided to seek out the experts. I have been to Oahu a lot, and I never bore of it. I love the atmosphere of urban areas. So I'm really not sure if Kaui is for me beyond just seeing it.

johnep1 Feb 9, 2005 5:55 pm

I would certainly rent a car on Kaua'i (not Kaui). When I was there last (2001), I was not yet 21 and had to pay some outrageous fee to be able to rent a car. However, it was well worth it as Kaua'i is fairly spread out. If you want to see the canyon, you'll need a car. If you want to head up north (if staying at the Hyatt), you'll need a car. If you want to rent kayaks, they're less expensive if you rent them away from the river, but then you'll need a car on which to put them. If you're staying up in Princeville, you'll need a car to go to a non-hotel restaurant.

If you can, go for a car on Kaua'i. It's well worth it on that island.

chicaloca453 Feb 9, 2005 7:01 pm

Fishbowl has a tour that takes you to the canyon. I'm definitely going to do that. I enjoy tours when I'm not acquainted with a place.

Also, please forgive my spelling because I just can't do it! lol Those Hawaiian words are especially tough. =)

RichardInSF Feb 9, 2005 9:12 pm

I don't think Lahaina is really walking distance from the Hyatt Maui. The luau is in town as I vaguely recall. Bike distance maybe, if there was somewhere there to rent a bike.

Isn't there some kind of very limited bus service connecting places in the general vicinity of Kanapali? If so, that could make a difference.

bbbb Feb 9, 2005 10:22 pm

Lahaina is about a $12+tip cab ride from the Hyatt. I think the bus just runs between the hotels and whalers village in the Kanapali resort area. Its not going to be a cheap ride from the airport either without a car. Its about a 45 min drive to the hotel.

Tummy Feb 9, 2005 10:35 pm

There is a free shuttle between Kaanapali with Lahaina and to Whalers Village shopping center I believe.

I can't imagine going to Maui and Kauai without a rental car for a least a few days. Some things I remember were the drive up Mount Haleakala, the road to Hana, Waimea beach. On Kauai there's Waimea Canyon, Polihale Beach, Kilauea Lighhouse, Opaeka'a Falls, Wailua Falls, Hanalei Valley, Kalalau Valley, etc. If you were to take a guided tour to these places, it would probably be much more than the cost of the rental car.

While the resorts are nice, I think you would really be missing out if you stayed in the entire time. You can have an urban experience in so many other places.

Robt760 Feb 9, 2005 11:57 pm

On Kauai there is public transportation, but nothing like on Oahu. The service runs only during the daytime and is the equivilent to shuttle vans or something a bit nicer being used as transport on the main roads. Since the Hyatt Kauai is quite a bit away from the highway, I'm not sure what I would say to do. You might want to rent a bicycle to explore the south shore area. Is there a particular reason you do not want to rent a car? One can be had for fairly reasonable $40 a day or so (maybe even try Priceline!?!) Another option may be to call the hotel and ask for the concierge desk. They are super nice people and there are always two or three of them there to ask any sort of question. (808) 742-1234

divaof travel Feb 10, 2005 5:16 am

I believe there is a small charge for the bus to Lahaina. The one that runs up and down Kaanapali to Whalers is free. I am not sure, because I have always had a car.

If you are a neophyte visitor to Maui or Kauai, I would definitely recommend that you rent a car. You are saving about $2,000 on hotel. So unless you lost your license after too many free drinks at some RC or in first class, you should rent a car. Unless you plan to be hotel bound, it could save you money as well. For example, In Maui, it will cost you a lot just to go to and from the OGG airport (I think the bus transfer is at least $30 each way. If there are two of you, you can rent a car for 2-3 days at the same price.)

Mary2e Feb 10, 2005 7:30 am

There is no way I would go to Hawaii - any island - and not rent a car. Particularly on Maui & Kauai. The cost of the cabs alone will come close to renting a sub-compact.

The Hyatt in Maui is a good walk to Whaler's Village and a 15 minute drive to Lahaina. I haven't been to Kauai yet.

Even on Oahu I rent a car. There is so much more to the island than Waikiki, or even the circle bus ride, to see. While TheBus can take you anywhere, I like the freedom to come & go as I please.

jukebox Feb 11, 2005 3:21 am

Maui

I've been to Maui several times and have never rented a car. It depends on what you want to accomplish on your trip. I've taken tours, the bus to Lahaina (1.00), and traveled the city bus all the way North. It was quite an adventure and afforded me the opportunity to meet locals. After driving every day in Chicago's traffic, I'm just not interested in the hassle of finding my way. I plan for the additional cost especially since I am saving on hotel cost.

I have only been to Kauai as part of a cruise stop over. I would recommend a car if you are visiting this island. It's more sedate. ;)

dingo Feb 12, 2005 7:17 am

Rent a car; it is cheap and easy. Lahaina is not walking distance unless you run marathons in your free time. Hawaii has what I've found to be the lowest rental car rates of major destinations.

jayer Feb 12, 2005 3:15 pm

There are way too many things to see not to rent a car.

AGS Feb 13, 2005 8:04 pm

For Maui, you will definitely want to rent a car. The Hyatt is quite a ways from the airport, so by the time you pay for rount trip taxi you may as well rent a car. You will also want to have a car to go to Lahaina at least one night. The Old Lahaina Luau is near the north end of town, but as others have said is too far to walk. Also, make sure you try Aloha Mixed Plate right next door. Very casual place with good Hawaiian comfort food.

Another reason you will want a car is to do at least one drive while you're there, either the road to Hana or the drive up Haleakala. Both are great but I prefer the road to Hana. Make sure you stop at the small stands and sample the local banana bread.

AGS