Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

What do you tip for the Diamond Amenity?

What do you tip for the Diamond Amenity?

Old Nov 26, 04, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I usually ask for it to be delievered when I know I will not be in the room. Otherwise if they are nice I tip $5.00 If they are not nice, they get nothing. But I really do not like to be there when they bring it.
Old Nov 26, 04, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Usually a couple of $ even some said it was not necessary. But also missed the room service person on a couple of occassions..
Old Nov 27, 04, 12:00 pm

When checking in, I ask that it be brought up ASAP. If they come within the first half hour, I'll give $5. If they come up later than that and I'm still in the room - $3.
Old Nov 27, 04, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
I normally tip 5 to 10 dollars depending on the hotel and the appropriateness of the gratuity based upon the area.
Old Nov 29, 04, 6:30 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Between 0-2$.
Old Nov 29, 04, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I am sorry, but I did search before I posted. I am guessing that the thread you linked to did not come up because amenity is not spelled correctly in it.

Originally Posted by smilee
There is a search function at the top of the forum. This was just asked a while ago.
Old Nov 29, 04, 11:58 am

haha

That's what I try to tell myself when I don't want to tip.

Otherwise $2 to $5.

Originally Posted by Tummy
Most of the time they run out so fast that I can't get to my cash in time.
Old Nov 29, 04, 4:32 pm
mgi

$2 for me as well...Along the same lines...What do people typically tip for the comp. breakfast at a hotel restaurant (at hotels w/o a regency club). Do you do a flat amount or 20% of the typical breakfast charge?
Old Nov 29, 04, 4:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by nimbusdog
I am sorry, but I did search before I posted. I am guessing that the thread you linked to did not come up because amenity is not spelled correctly in it.
I just merged the two threads - in case you find some problem with continuity in the posts.

peteropny - co-moderator - Hyatt
Old Nov 29, 04, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by nimbusdog
Hey, sorry I am a scientist, and there is no spell checker in FT! I suppose if my amenities were worth anything, I might have learned to spell it correctly sooner!
Old Nov 30, 04, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mgi
$2 for me as well...Along the same lines...What do people typically tip for the comp. breakfast at a hotel restaurant (at hotels w/o a regency club). Do you do a flat amount or 20% of the typical breakfast charge?
On that note, what do you typically tip the host of the recency club? I occasionally will leave a couple of dollars, especially if I see him busting his rear!
Old Nov 30, 04, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G MM, HH Dia, Hyatt Expl, MR Gold, IHG Plat
I don't tip for every service delivery, preferring the overseas customs of a consolidated service charge (sometimes) and an amenity in the room when you get there. Note that the pre-positioned amenity avoids the need to wait around, or give a reminder call, though I suppose the element of choice is missing. In North America, I do leave a tip for the maid when I leave. I also tip for the Diamond comp breakfast, and I tip the courtesy shuttle driver if applicable.

It's a hassle to carry a thick wad of dollar bills all the time, and as others have said, the server doesn't expect it. Better if they are paid a living wage. I will add that my hotel expenses are almost all on my dime - and are not reimbursed by clients in any way since it's mostly leisure travel.
Old Dec 5, 04, 6:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Amenity includes gratuity

I had begun to feel guilty that my amenity seemed always to be delivered when I was out, and asked a GM with whom I have a very good relationship for a solution. His response surprised me. I was informed that the hotel pays the gratuity for the amenity to the server. The hotel views and accounts for the amenity as an expense, and the gratuity to the server is included. I believe this is standard at all hotels so that servers, who rely on tips for their income, are guaranteed income for doing these types of deliveries. For example, a waiter delivering a bottle of wine and a cheese plate will typically be paid 18% of the hotel's charged cost....about $30, so figure on around a $5 gratuity being paid them on that type of amenity.
Old Dec 6, 04, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Very interesting.

If I am in the room I usually give $5.
Old Dec 6, 04, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by shinbal
I was informed that the hotel pays the gratuity for the amenity to the server. The hotel views and accounts for the amenity as an expense, and the gratuity to the server is included.
Yes, that is very interesting. No wonder half the time the servers always seem to scurry out of the room before I can even get to my wallet to tip them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: