Tax on award stay?

Old Sep 30, 04, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Tax on award stay?

On an award stay using point or on a FFN award stay, will I be charged any taxes, or are the stays completely free of charge (assuming there are no incidental charges) ? If the answer is "it depends on the individual property", do any of you know whether I'll be charged taxes on a FFN award at the GH Tokyo, or taxes on an award stay using points at the Osaka Hilton?

Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but I did a search and couldn't find the answer. Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 30, 04, 11:45 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Stay is free (includes all "normal" taxes) - not sure about resort charges - or some extra occupancy taxes (a few $s) in certain cities though.
Old Sep 30, 04, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Not Free In NYC

But the Stanhope is way more than worth it!
Old Sep 30, 04, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
$4.00, Well Worth It!!!

Originally Posted by jayer
But the Stanhope is way more than worth it!
Indeed. If you are fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite, the Occupancy Tax of $2.00 increases to $4.00, and shows up as "Suite Tax" on the bill....
Old Oct 1, 04, 8:05 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Resort fee was covered in Hawaii with FFN stays.
Old Apr 3, 06, 6:47 pm

Resurfacing this thread because I have the same question as the OP. I know that at the Hyatt in the US, the resort fees, etc. are not charged. However, what is the policy in Asia where a lot of places have both a svc charge and a tax. For Example, the Philippines seems to have a 22% tax and svc charge and I'm wondering if I will need to pay one or both of them.

The Hyatt desk just now seemed to indicate that the tax is included but that I would have to pay the svc charge. However, they could not tell me on what rate the svc charge would be based. Does anyone have first hand experience?
Old Apr 4, 06, 4:10 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
In the U.S. Resort Fees and Taxes have not been charged at the Hotels I've stayed at (Tahoe, Huntington Beach, Carmel).

However; two trips ago to Zurich they did charge me room tax.
This was strange becuase 3 trips the year before they didn't. So something might have changed on international locations over the last year.
Old Apr 4, 06, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
In the U.S. Resort Fees and Taxes have not been charged at the Hotels I've stayed at (Tahoe, Huntington Beach, Carmel).

However; two trips ago to Zurich they did charge me room tax.
This was strange becuase 3 trips the year before they didn't. So something might have changed on international locations over the last year.
Hi TravelGuy,

Can you tell me how much tax they charged (or what rates they assessed the taxes on)? We have 2 award nights coming up in Zurich in May.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 06, 7:30 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
It was just a few francs. Amazingly low. It was on an FNN.

I think it was more of a tourism type flat tax, not a percent of room charge.

They jokingly asked me it I could afford it and I gave then 5 francs to cover it with a small tip to the desk clerk

Originally Posted by richee
Hi TravelGuy,

Can you tell me how much tax they charged (or what rates they assessed the taxes on)? We have 2 award nights coming up in Zurich in May.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: